Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Stimulus Check "= 17" wheels - Updated
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

god... that's why I love this forum
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="82WestyMan"]
Quote:
Thanx for the heads-up on the Audi Allroad wheels... is this an Audi model that the wheels from are a direct bolt on? ... also, what width is that rim?

Be careful with the Allroad wheels. Allroads came with wheels in 25mm, 32mm, 35mm, 40mm, 43mm and 45mm offsets. There are 17" Allroad wheels that have widths from 7.5" to 8" and offsets in 25mm, 35mm, 43mm and 45mm.

With a 17x7.5 or 17x8, a 25mm offset will work, although it is outside my comfort zone as far as offset. I like to see the offset closer to 30mm.

A 35mm offset will work with a 17x7.5 but not a 17x8 (without spacers).

A 43mm or 45mm offset will require spacers with either the 17x7.5s or the 17x8s.

All of the Allroad wheels will require the centers to be machined out to 66mm or larger and the centercaps can be impossible to fit depending on the wheel design. The flatter the face of the wheel, the greater chance you will have in getting the centercap to fit. All Allroad wheels will require the small ball seat lugs.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...OR you can look at the Audi Allroad wheels.. They have the right offset and they bolt on no issues..
Im running the allroad wheels with hydroedge 215/65/17 load rating 98
no rubbing with carat springs

Thanx for the heads-up on the Audi Allroad wheels... is this an Audi model that the wheels from are a direct bolt on? ... also, what width is that rim?
That would be the ideal situation I'm looking for, a 17" wheel that bolts on my 82 A/C with lower H&R springs
My thought is, and please correct me if I'm going down the wrong road, if 17" wheels from a particular model Audi are a direct bolt with no spacer, center hole, bolt hole, etc issues, the ideal would be to either find a salvage yard set OR a set of aftermarket wheels for that the model and they should be the same 'no issues' fit on my Vanagon.

I really do appreciate all the feedback from everyone. As usual, the wealth and breath of knowledge and information from forum is an asset like no other
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for all the feedback... haven't made up my mind yet, especially with the various responces about going to 17"
I'm still leaning toward that 17" package, I understand the slight compromises but my Westy is my second vehicle, mostly just for running errands when I need the extra space and taking camping on weekends and longer trips so its miles are mostly highway and no off-roading and I can easily live with the minor parralell parking issue.
I'm not married to the above wheels, but I do like the idea of 17" wheels letting me go to the 225/50 series tires. This definately won't be my first time with a vehicle with very low profile tires and my experience in the past has been they greatly improve the highway handling which is what matters to me the most
I am planning to do the change to studs in the front rotors so I have the same lug nuts all the way around
I should probably include that I am running H&R lowering springs with Bilsteins
One thing about the Ronal wheels that was mentioned above, did go to their site, they only list one wheel fitting Vanagons, the R28 but its listed as ".... are older styles, discontinued, however we may have accessory parts, caps, etc. or single wheels available."
But
http://ronalusa.com/wheels-discontinued.html"
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a huge fan of the statement, "I'm not doing X, but..." because it's basically saying "I am doing it, but I'm going to stick this statement in here which claims I'm ignorant of my evil doin's...

I've felt that way ever since one of my Diss. advisers said to me, "I'm not trying to belittle your work, but..." and then proceeded to do so in no uncertain terms.

OK ~ rant aside, you can find a copy of the brochure for the 82 Vanagon on this very website. I used google image search, terms "82 vanagon brochure".

2nd lesser rant: "Use the search, Luke"

Here's the link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/82vanagon.php

Click on the Westy about halfway down and you can see the halfmoon, or whatever they're called, hubcaps. They have a slight curve up to the cirlce around the VW insignia, which is raised a bit vertically. These are not the same as the earlier torpedo hubcaps that had a smooth curve all the way up to the point.

It's kind of hard to explain, but when you see it, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

You can get OEM hubcaps of varying quality from Interstate VW parts. When I was there last year getting hubcaps, they had a vanagon full of them. Just me picking through the caps, avoiding spiders, looking for clean ones.

You can also buy them online, though rumor has it the non-OEM reproductions rust in a hurry. Maybe not in CA, AZ or the like, but most other places where rain isn't a historical reference point.

Best,

Lanval
ZFLEX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ya'll

Not trying to highjack your thread but since we are on the subject of wheels. What are the origanal hubcap for a 82 westy Thanks Very Happy
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot,,,,, I turnred down the rotors when i did the brake a few years ago. I was running 15 wheels and it seamed easer to fix the vanagon and not the rims. So my van has hubcentrec front brakes.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Before you send off your money, look at ronalusa.com . They have direct bolt on wheels for vanagons. OR you can look at the Audi Allroad wheels.. They have the right offset and they bolt on no issues..

Did you have to enlarge the center bore, or do newer Audi rims have a large enough hole from the factory?

-Glenn
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

82westyman
Before you send off your money, look at ronalusa.com . They have direct bolt on wheels for vanagons. OR you can look at the Audi Allroad wheels.. They have the right offset and they bolt on no issues..

Im running the allroad wheels with hydroedge 215/65/17 load rating 98
no rubbing with carat springs.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 17"x8" ET32 front, 17"x8.5" ET20 rear.
225/50/17 front 245/50/17 rear Michalin Sport Pilot A/S

I'd say the difference in road feel to the huge sidewall of a stock tire isn't even noticable. nither is the MPG, speedo reading, or torqe loss due to any slight difference in overall tire hite.

I drive daily in industrial district Seattle. I swear it's nearly like off roading for buckeling blacktop and crazy pot holes.

the only thing I can say is w/o power steering, it's slightly harder paralel parking.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

82WestyMan wrote:
Well, I’ve pretty decided I’m going to upgrade the tires and wheels on my 82 Westy from the stock 14’ alloys and 20/60-15’s I’m currently running to 17” rims and probably something like a 225/50-17 tires (which should keep my speedo about dead-on). The aim is to keep the tire and rim package to around a grand or so, not counting getting them drilled out to fit the 14mm studs and the center drilled out.
Instead of trying to search thru salvage yards trying to find an MBZ or Audi wheel, I thought I’d see what I could find looking thru the two major tire sites: Discount Tires Direct & Tire Rack.
Thought I’d run my findings thru the forum for feedback before I opened my wallet
Discount had some nice rims but they were ‘on order’ and no good tires that size, reasonably priced with the 98 weight rating I was looking for.
This is what I found from Tire Rack (both in stock)
Rims from Tire Rack:
Sport Edition / 17X7.5 5-112 ET35mm, finish is “Silver painted” - $101 w/shipping
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet...sort=Brand
(fixed the link, let me know if anyone is still having problems)
The tires I’m leaning to are these from the Tire Rack:
Continental ContiProContact 225/50VR17 98V (1,653 lb rated), Load Rating: XL, Blackwall, 51 psi max inflation, with a UTQG rating of: 400 treadwear, AA traction and A temp. About $160 each with shipping. They got pretty good user ratings on TireRack, not too good on snow but down here in SC, that’s not a issue for me.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=C..._rating=XL

My math comes to about $1,044 with shipping .
Ok, now for the forum input. Come on, guys, tell me what I forgot to think about or how big of a brain-fart am I having… lol

Keep in mind with 17x7.5 and a 35mm offset you'll need to run 8-10mm spacers. I did a fitment at one time with 17x7.5" Audi A4 replicas: 42mm offset and 15mm spacers for an overall offset of 27mm. They sat within about 1/8" of hitting the upper control arm, yet protruded slightly more than I would have liked beyond the fender lip on the outside. You can grind the upper control arm slightly without seriously weakening it, but a 30mm overall offset is the most you're likely to see.

I ran 235/45/17 tires and they worked out to about 25.3" diameter which is the same as the original 205/70/14 tires. I personally felt that this size was a little too low profile for the Vanagon chassis in terms of impact harshness on certain concret to pavement transitions - so it's a good thing you're thinking about 225/50/17 for a little more sidewall height.

The other thing to remember is that a typical 17" cast rim weighs about 28 lbs. This is about 10 lbs more than the original Carat alloys weigh, so it is somewhat significant in terms of acceleration and ride.

17s look great, but I think as an overall compromise 16x7s with 215/55/16 tires work best on a Vanagon. With 17" wheels and 225-235 width tires there is definitely a ride, acceleration, and mpg penalty to be paid.

David
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to spend some bigger money, take a look at Raderwerks, they have replica wheels for all the german makes. Im going to get these: http://raderwerks.com/wheels_detail.cfm?type=Porsche&id=46&page=1 and do the staggered thing. I asked about the mercedes wheels, and they said all those were 66.6mm centerbore, so just find your style and offset, and bobs your uncle.

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=33

the VW Vortex.

it's a fairly big forum w/ Audi VW.... Very Happy

there's another huge place to hunt for used rimms...car parts, toasters, just about anything you can emagine, people sell it there. hunt all day and never leave your chair. Wink
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the vortex"???....
i know BBS and they make great wheels
(and the wheel link above should be fixed)
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, I bought my BBS from a guy on the Vortex. they have parts swap and sell arranged by bolt pattern which is handy.

I'd try there for shure. Wink
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your wheels link didn't work for me. Something about you being logged in when you copied it, so it would seem.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I’ve pretty decided I’m going to upgrade the tires and wheels on my 82 Westy from the stock 14’ alloys and 20/60-15’s I’m currently running to 17” rims and probably something like a 225/50-17 tires (which should keep my speedo about dead-on). The aim is to keep the tire and rim package to around a grand or so, not counting getting them drilled out to fit the 14mm studs and the center drilled out.
Instead of trying to search thru salvage yards trying to find an MBZ or Audi wheel, I thought I’d see what I could find looking thru the two major tire sites: Discount Tires Direct & Tire Rack.
Thought I’d run my findings thru the forum for feedback before I opened my wallet
Discount had some nice rims but they were ‘on order’ and no good tires that size, reasonably priced with the 98 weight rating I was looking for.
This is what I found from Tire Rack (both in stock)
Rims from Tire Rack:
Sport Edition / 17X7.5 5-112 ET35mm, finish is “Silver painted” - $101 w/shipping
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet...sort=Brand
(fixed the link, let me know if anyone is still having problems)
The tires I’m leaning to are these from the Tire Rack:
Continental ContiProContact 225/50VR17 98V (1,653 lb rated), Load Rating: XL, Blackwall, 51 psi max inflation, with a UTQG rating of: 400 treadwear, AA traction and A temp. About $160 each with shipping. They got pretty good user ratings on TireRack, not too good on snow but down here in SC, that’s not a issue for me.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=C..._rating=XL

My math comes to about $1,044 with shipping .
Ok, now for the forum input. Come on, guys, tell me what I forgot to think about or how big of a brain-fart am I having… lol

Last edited by 82WestyMan on Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:41 pm; edited 4 times in total
brooklynvanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OEM Mercedes 16x7 ET 37, as found or CLK and C230, c280 need to be drilled but do not need spacers on 2wd, unless you need the wheel center cap to fit like stock. They are common, look great and sometimes are bought for really, really, really cheap. You will need to buy about $100-150 worth of lug bolt, nuts and studs from loogy. ET 30-37 in a 7j wheel seems like a pretty good way to go.
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm a single tax-payer... the number being thrown around $600 for me (double for a couple... and a bit more for those of you with 'rugrats')
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much money ?

I run Michalin Sport Pilot A/S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: