Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Disableing one brake.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cougbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

The front right brake on my '71 bus has siezed on the rotor and I can't free it up. I tried bleeding but that didn't help. I just want one more trip out of the old thing before donating and don't want to spend a lot of money to fix. Can I disable that brake and go on just three? I know it's not the safest thing to do but I'll be carefull. Can I crimp the brake line or remove the pads? Any suggestions? My trip is New Year's Eve!
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

dud if you do disable it whenever you try to stop you bus is going to pull to the left, BIG tIME. dont do it just by a new caliper, it will be easier, or just donate it know
late
lc
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

I agree with Luckys420. hate to see that trip be your LAST. check the rubber brake hose first that could be all it is. If you loosen the bleed screw and the whell turns the flex hose is clogged and acting like a one way check valve causing the sticking. if not then the caliper is sticking....
you should not ever attempt to disable one of the front brakes or you will have a very dangerous and possibly life threatening situation for yourself or some innocent other individual. Fix it or leave it parked, please....
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

wow my spelling really sucked on that post.
but like keifer said, i would hate to be that innocent person you hit.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

I had jsut as many more! LOL! But since we aren't arguing on the rants no one will call us out on it! I hope....
Imagine it's New Years Eve, Your cruising in your old bus with the 3 wheel brake system. (make that 1 front) and some drunk joker pulls out in front of you and you (being sober and all) instinctively hit the brakes hard and VEEEERRRRRRR across all lanes and into the path of an oncoming vehicle (I.E. 18 wheeler, Greyhound Bus, Church Bus, Brinks Truck, whatever.....
I think the message is clear. spell check or not.....
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

agreed, this might be an option (although not a good one!) if we were talking about the rear brakes, but on the front i don't think you realize how hard the brakes would pull with only one working front brake. if you hit the brakes hard as lucky and keifer have both stated it could pull so hard that it would pull the steering wheel right out of your hands. i will add my .02 here and say please DONT DO IT!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cougbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:15 am    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

Okay, I will check the flex hose and caliper as keifernet suggested. But if that doesn't work how about this...disableing BOTH front brakes. That would take care of the veering problem, right? I'd still have the back two plus the parking brake. Would that not be enough? I just NEED to get to Pasadena one more time on New Year's Eve in this bus! If you can't camp out at the Rosebowl in a bus why even go? And what if I don't go over 40 mph?..promise! And no, this won't be my last bus trip. I have a '66 that needs four new brakes.
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:26 am    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

Can you do us a favor? Could you post the route you are planning to take? I don't want to be anywhere near you if that's your plan. Let it go, buddy. Best to stay safe and alive then to have a last joyride! You could probably get a used caliper online for a great price.

-=Rob
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

Umm. Aren't the front brakes like 70% of your stopping power? When you crunch the pedal in an emergency you will lock your rear wheels up, and possibly spin out. Don't do it, its not worth hurting yourself or someone else. The police and your insurance company won't be to happy when you crash with your brakes jerry-rigged.

Replace it or rebuild it. You could prob get a caliper for a couple of bucks at the junkers
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

It will be quicker and easier to change the caliper and do it correctly so you can stop, than to do any of the shitty jury rigged crap you're talking about. There's only two or three bolts holding the caliper on, a real simple job. Please find a used caliper and do it right. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cougbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

Okay. So it looks like the consensus is to repair or replace the caliper. No one seems to have faith in a three brake bus creeping along slow! I went to my local Peppy Boys and they had neither a new caliper nor a rebuild kit in stock. So I took the old caliper off and plan to clean the cr*p out of it. Hopefully that will do. Thanks everybody for your advice!
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:14 pm    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

POOP BOYZ ain't got shiat! LOL! check out the flex/rubber hose and look for a junker caliper! you still have time, but don;t let any of us who posted or the authorities catch you in the act of driving under the influence of a bad decision on your brakes!
Really your lucky you caught us all in a good mood, other wise I think you would be fodder for the rants! Good Luck and do it safe!
Cougbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:54 am    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

I bought the caliper repair kit only to learn the caliper would not cooperate in being taken apart. I also needed VW part 123, 456, and XYZ. So I disabled the brake like I originally decided to do and took it for a test drive. There was a swerve factor along with some rear brake lock-up and tire chirping...all this at less than 30 mph! But worst of all is that the left front brake started seizing and won't let go! Is it still a bad right brake caliper or is it the master cylinder? Rose bowl is just around the corner. Now I'm thinking of disableing both front brakes and going on just the rears. Breeze...105 East to the 110 North at 3:00 am Dec. 31 Smile
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

Oh Shit.

Why don't you tow it to a few miles away than drive it in? It is really unsafe to do what you are thinking. I guess if you aren't posting here after the 31st we will no why!
Dominic
Samba Bouncer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:03 am    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

I don't know if this guy is serious..he can't be so I say FUKK it, drive it!!!!! I think he's looking for a reaction from all of you and he can't be for real. IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR? Just disconnect the fronts and drive it normal...like 70 on the 210 frwy. I'll be staying home so go ahead. If you are serious, you need help. With thoughts like that, you should not own ANY vws at all. PERIOD!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

Maybe a "wreath" of used tires surrounding the bus will offer you some protection.....
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

if you decide to make the "wreath" of tires you better stuff some pillows in each tires, cause it will be pointless if you dont put pillows, be sure to use the foamy kind, not the feathers. feathers suck for high imoact protection.
when i was at the rose bowl parade of 12-31-97 i watched a car slam into the over pass and throw bodies all over the freeway with alot of other cars driving by( imagine that scene) THAT COULD BE YOU. but if your lucky youll already be dead before a lowerd handa runs you over.
late- have fun at the rose bowl
lc
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:39 am    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

If you can afford to go to the rose bawl, you can afford to fix it right. get two new front calipers, two new flex hoses, new pads, and do it right. Not to sound like the prophet of doom, but driving in california traffic during stupid season without good brakes might result in you donating more than just your bus when your trip is done.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

He probably will have a big problem finding 71 calipers: they are 71 and 72 only.....
Cougbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Disableing one brake. Reply with quote

I'm not going to do anything stupid here like putting myself or others in danger. I'm just hoping that somebody out there can lend encouragement. I thought about the towing option but my service only gives me seven miles. And with only two and a half weeks left until Rose Bowl I don't think there is time to have a repair shop diagnos and fix. Most importantly, I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a repair when a week later it will be donated. Think about this...I won't be hauling the mail at 70 mph on the 110 during rush hour. It would be in the early morning hours when traffic is light. I'd stay in the far right lane with flashers on crawling along at about 30 mph. Even if the Little Old Lady from Pasadena pulled out in front of me from some onramp I could immediately pull off into the emergency lane. Might even do that if I even thought there'd be a potential conflict. Wouldn't that work? At 70 mph the 70% braking power the fronts give is important. But how critical is that 70% at 30 mph? Oh well, if noboby else thinks this will work SAFELY it will be a boring day watching the Rose Bowl on TV. This bus really is a lot of fun to camp in!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: