Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tap, Tap, Tapping at my engine door
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Tap, Tap, Tapping at my engine door Reply with quote

81 Westy, aircooled. Driving around town, no problem stopped at bank shut off engine, returned, started engine and now tap tap tap no apparent change in performance but drove straight home, parked and haven't started looking, suggestions, I'm new to aircooled VWs.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:14 am    Post subject: Tap, Tap, Tapping at my engine door Reply with quote

could be a sticking or collapsed hydrolic lifter(s)
When was the last time the oil/filter was changed? Do you know the history of the engine?
Or since we are doing this over the net and people hear noises differently it could also be exhaust leak related.....
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: Tap, Tap, Tapping at my engine door Reply with quote

I have records indicating oil was changed 1200 miles ago, engine was rebuilt last year by a SoCA shop of reputation. Will take in for diagnosis.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Tap, Tap, Tapping at my engine door Reply with quote

Yeah do it, as I said your ear is not entirely in tune with all the noises a VW engine can make... you could have a failing lifter or something in the exhaust could be making a similar noise. good luck and post back what they/you find please....
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:57 am    Post subject: Tap, Tap, Tapping at my engine door Reply with quote

Hey Keifer,I just got a good deal on some "Cookie Cutters". Do you know any body that can drill the drums and rotors for me? I thought I had a lead on that but it fell through. Thanks DavidK 71Deluxe 69S/Cab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:54 am    Post subject: Tap, Tap, Tapping at my engine door Reply with quote

Dave, I might have a lead for you, a shop my friend Aaron used for some stuff, I'll get a number and call you after 8pm, I will be out of reach til then today...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:33 pm    Post subject: Tap, Tap, Tapping at my engine door Reply with quote

Took it to Europro in Costa Mesa, they tried using transmission fluid in the crank case to free the lifter, no joy, tomorrow they start looking to see if just one is the problem or all need cleaning
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:57 pm    Post subject: Tap, Tap, Tapping at my engine door Reply with quote

I have a 78 Westfalia that I have already sold and I have been putting a few final touches on it for about a week. Tonight I started it for the first time in a week and one of the lifters was tapping. I drove it about 2 miles down the road and it didn't stop so I returned home. I could tell it was a lifter on #1-#2 so I removed the engine tin from below the push rod tubes and used my cheapo $5 mechanics stethoscope to find the culprit. I just placed the scope on the push rod tubes as close to the case as possible and found the bad lifter. I then removed the valve cover, rocker arm, push rod tube and push rod then used a magnet to fish the bad lifter out. Sure enough it was spongy so I replace it with another and put everything back together. I could tell it was spongy even before I even removed it by just by pushing on the rocker arm. The entire job took about 30 minutes, but I have done this many times. If you have a Bentley manual or even a Idiot Guide then you should be able to do this yourself and save a few bucks. A brand new lifter only costs about $12 so if you don't feel like tackling the problem yourself then I can't imagine paying more than $50 to have a shop do it. Good luck and welcome the the world of VWs.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Tap, Tap, Tapping at my engine door Reply with quote

Yeah thats a common problem on the older Bay's and Vanagons with hydrolics, they can just go at any time, and where there is one there is bound to be another soon...
www.type2.com has some good reads in their library and a link to ( if this doesn't show) www.bostonengine.com with somw really good stuff about the type/4 and hydrolics ect... good luck with your ride...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Tap, Tap, Tapping at my engine door Reply with quote

Europro adjusted all lifters, cured noise but found exhaust leak, not sure if exhaust manifold or head gasket is going, only there when engine is cold, at op temp no leak..will file in to do list, now I need a front table top. some outside trim and ideas on replacing the center carpet, been seeing lots of kitchen tile jobs that look good
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: