Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Picklex Test
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfw1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Picklex Test Reply with quote

I don't believe I have ever been more disappointed in a product than I have in this. I felt obligated to pass this along. Using a piece of 20 gauge sheet metal purchased at local home improvement store that had been laying in garage for a year, cleaned one half with Picklex per instructions, with no sanding. Didn't clean surface rust all that well to start with. Placed outside to speed process of test and left for 3 days, 1 of which sun was shining, 1 day of rain, and today is last day. Only thing it appeared to do was clean off whatever treatment was on metal when bought. IMHO, total waste and all sales final. first pic is untreated, second is one half cleaned, third is final result. Advertised to protect for 1 year inside!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! Thanks for the heads up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah--inside.
Don't put it outside. If it gets rained on, or moisture condenses on the piece, it will allow rust.
I have had stuff in the attic and the damp garage for several years with nothing but picklex on it.
It can be painted directly over. What are you comparing it to which has the same specifications? It sounds like you got the wrong product for what you mean to use it for.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use picklex all the time for treating metal parts after blasting. It will keep parts preserved for a long time before I get around to powder coating. Then I just give a quick wipe with acetone before coating.
You might want to read the instructions next time before you post such a review Rolling Eyes

Quote:
This 1-step metal surface preparation and pre-treatment product is a non-hazardous, environmentally friendly, water based, water-soluble and Ready to Use product. It cleans the surface by removing light mill oil, dust and light surface rust/flash rust and at the same time provides a protective coating (conversion coating) for a very long-term indoor rust prevention (in terms of years depending on the location). It can be used on any metal, ferrous and non-ferrous (such as carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminum, galvanized steel etc.) as a surface preparation/pre-treatment before welding, priming, painting, powder coating etc. and also to protect the surface from rusting for a very long period of time (in terms of years) during storage before finishing. Provides an excellent bonding and corrosion resistance. For manual painting and welding, Picklex®20 provides a combination of a surface cleaner, 100% rust converter, rust inhibitor, primer, a protective coating and a metal surface conditioner, all in one step. It improves weld strength considerably with no weld spatter.

It comes highly recommended by the body shop guys on here:
http://autobodystore.com/forum/index.php?index
As does the Zero Rust paints
http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=RCAC

I have used both with very good results

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
gfw1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased this product with the intended use of protecting bare metal spots during long term panel repairs stored inside my garage. It may still be adeqate for that purpose. Not everyone has a garage to store their projects and I felt it should have held up more than one day. With cold weather and a space heater, humidity and condensation are a factor. At the price of over $40 for 16 oz. shipped, I am sure there are better alternatives. Like any other product, everyone has their own opinion and this happens to be mine. My information is for anyone thinking that it is a miracle solution for their problems. I still rate it up there with magnets to place in your ears to stop smoking, and foot pads to draw the toxins out of your body. I am open to any suggestions for a better product for my intended use.
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote from Picklex has "provides a protective coating (conversion coating)..." It's not a rust converter, which converts non-flaky rust to a non-waterproof primer, so it has to be a metal prep, which dissolves rust and conditions the metal (acid) before painting. Metal prep is not a sealer.
When I was going to store buses I haven't finished, with some bare metal showing, I sprayed several coats of Krylon enamel (no primer) on the bare metal. One bus has been stored outside, under a tarp, for several years, with no problems. The enamel just has to be sanded off when you are going to resume the work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: