Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sliding glass installation
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WVVWFERG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: sliding glass installation Reply with quote

The "search feature" is temporarily not functioning, so I'll risk asking.I have an 86 westy that needs the sliding glass portion of the sliding window INSTALLED (we got the replacement glass out of a window that was out of the van, so there was some 'wiggle room'). Who can tell me how to install it?? thanks
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sliding side windows are installed exactly like all of the other glass in a T3. In fact, it's a little easier than installing the other glass because it has a frame around it that supports the glass. This means that you don't need to be nearly as careful when doing the install.

Here is a good tutorial:

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/project-cj7/project-cj7-windshield.htm

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just trying to put in the sliding part, it won't work, you have to install the whole window.
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to take the window channel material out first. This will give you more room to get the glass in. You also need to use some carpenters clamps to spread the window frame apart a little and then your replacement window will fit in. It helps if you have a helper to hold the clamps on the edge of the window frame while you work. Before you install it make sure the plastic guides are in the bottom part of your replacement window.

Last edited by Pascal on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, I need to read this stuff better. I missed the part about the "sliding glass portion of the sliding window". Sorry about that!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Mac_Daddy_Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding glass & Felt installation Reply with quote

Greetings folks,

read many post about window removal, its fairly straight forward, just with lots of patience is warranted.

Installing the felt strips is easy as well, see pics. Now installing the sliding window is a bit tricky, especially around the corners, I used the rope technique with lots of vasiline, worked but I did rip the inside lip of the seal a bit, but can be repair with glue, the important things is that the outer lip is not rip so not water leaking in.

Need to use popsical sticks to lessen the tension near corners, would make it much easier to get the inner seal lip over the panel.

I also used Sika flex on the bottom outer window sill to prevent water from pooling there.

hope this info helps
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: