Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI reproduction 30PICT-1 Carburetor - An in-depth review
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that one of the plugged drillings on the bottom of the bowl to be leaking fuel. Just happy to have found it before burning up.... now to determine the best repair. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB-Weld holds up well to fuel - maybe try that, not sure if you'll be able to find correct size "freeze plugs" for those anyway.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SimiRon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed a new EMPI 30 PICT-1. My '64 is still 6 volt so I had to swap the choke element from my old 28 PICT-1, which was easy. Once it had fuel, the car started right up and idled perfectly. I let it warm up and then adjusted the idle speed and idle mixture, which went smoothly. No issues. The car runs great. I'm using the SVDA distributor with this carb and the stock 1200 40hp engine is smooth throughout the RPM range, with good power. So far, I'm impressed with this carb, but will see how it holds up over time.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind that you don't get an SVDA vacuum signal out of that carb. You're running off of the centrifugal advance. The highest vaccum signal I saw out of the ones I worked on was around 80mmHG. That is where the vacuum advance BEGINS on an SVDA. If you get any advance out of it, it will be over-advancing as it'll come in at high RPMS, and the proper time for vacuum advance out of an SVDA is at low/mid range.

However, the 40HP and centrifugal advance play together OK, which is why yours is running OK.

-Andy
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anything improved on these reproduction 30 pict-1s? Two disappointed me in the past and just wondering if there is any new feedback.
nybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMPI 30 PICT 1 are garbage! I did all the modifications that this post suggested but you can't improve something that is trash from the beginning. Yes the pictures of the modification (on this post) look impressive but crap is still crap! The fuel inlet pipe is now threaded in, instead of being pressed in. That's the only modification that is smart.
If you can have your original German Solex carburetor rebuilt. I sent mine to Volksbitz and now my Beetle runs like it should. If you don't have the original carb then find one on this site, at a swap meet or even from Volksbitz.
As for my EMPI carburetor, it is now a book end in my garage.
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:

However I did get one of those other China-made 30PICT-1s this summer (Euromax is one of those who sell them) and have been running it on the 1600DP in my Baja and it's been awesome for me. I did test the vacuum pull, but I'm not sure where I put the notes I made. It was OK though. I'm running it with a 113905205K distributor.

Here's a couple of photos from a few months back when I first got it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Andy

I have this exact 30PICT1 on a 1776SP with a 009 (in a bus). It runs damn good and I have no complaints in that area except that it runs rich (smell, black plugs, etc.) I found this thread researching whether I could benefit from an SVDA disty and it seems I'll forget that idea due to Andy's explanation for a lack of vacuum.

I live at 7,400' so no doubt that's the cause of my mixture issues. Is there a rule of thumb for jet sizes and/or procedure I can follow for adjusting due high altitude on the 30PICT1? I've been told to just leave it alone but I also don't want to wash cylinders, etc.

Thank you for all the great info.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of driving do you do with it? Lots of idling and short trips, or longer runs?

For that altitude I'd probably try a larger air correction jet to let more of the thinner air into the mixture. (may be easier to go with a smaller main jet though, unless you want to drill out the a/c jet)

-Andy
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Andy. Mostly shorter trips, around town, etc. Almost everything is down the mountain towards Denver so it's any easy ride that way but a long, slower, full throttle ride up the mt. going home. So while I'd like to fine tune the mixture, at the same time I don't want to run it lean on those times it's working real hard in the heat of the summer, etc.

Thanks for that and any further advice.
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Information!!!
One thing I got from Glutamodo's post is that I looked at my spare carbs and found a nice used 1967 (105-1 base flange number) 30PICT-1 carb. Since I'm working on my 67 bug - finding out I have the correct carb is a wonderful surprise.
Now if I could just locate a 27 3/4 inch axle shaft.
Dave
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

I'm going to dig into this tomorrow to check main jet size and start experimenting from there. CIP sells a kit of 6 for like $55+. Is there a better source for individual jets or smaller kits, parts source that you'd recommend?

Also, I've read that it's best to have a 30pict1 with a power circuit for the larger engines. Does this Euromax version have one or how can I tell while I have mine off?

Thanks so much for your time!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only carbs that don't have it were for the 1300 engine and as far as I've ever seen, have never been made in the aftermarket. In other words, all aftermarket (Bocar, EMPI, Euromax) 30PICT-1s have the power fuel outlet.

-Andy
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a couple of things with this Euromax I found worthy of contributing to the cause, I think.

A couple of times in the past, I've had flooding while sitting in the garage and shortly after filling up (dripping from tailpipe). I found the 4 screws around the bowl tight but were not compressing the lock washers as the holes were not tapped completely (or screws too long). Possibly from using a tapered instead of bottoming tap in the blind holes. Tapped correctly, may fix that issue but I'm putting a 12V shutoff valve in the fuel system anyway. Still, would affect needle/seat action.

Also discovered my accel. pump lever contacting the gen before full travel. 5 minutes with a file on the lever to clearance the arm from the gen.

It currently has a 120 main and 65 idle jet (air correction not labeled but seems I may want to leave that alone). I found the individual jets on Aircooled.net reasonably and will order a few to try.

Thinking the main jet isn't too far off for altitude from my research but the idle jet should be around 50-55. (?)

Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Go down in idle jet but main as well??

Thanks
vwgirl1961a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI reproduction 30PICT-1 Carburetor - An in-depth revi Reply with quote

My mechanic installed an aftermarket carb in my 1965 stock beetle months ago and since then my car has been running like crap. She has always sounded nice and now she is loud. She hesitates. I knew I should have had the original solex rebuilt but I trusted my mechanic. Where can I buy a rebuilt solex carb? Sad
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI reproduction 30PICT-1 Carburetor - An in-depth revi Reply with quote

vwgirl1961a wrote:
Where can I buy a rebuilt solex carb?

Here...
http://www.volkzbitz.com/
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
vwgirl1961a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI reproduction 30PICT-1 Carburetor - An in-depth revi Reply with quote

Thanks, going to check it now

rcooled wrote:
vwgirl1961a wrote:
Where can I buy a rebuilt solex carb?

Here...
http://www.volkzbitz.com/

Ghettoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI reproduction 30PICT-1 Carburetor - An in-depth review Reply with quote

Forget all this cheap aftermarket carbs, go to the bug junkyard and get a old one and send it to Volksbitz or just get one from him directly. I have 3 1967 bug carbs and believe me, my bug works a hell of alot better with the original german carb. Use Volksbitz and you will be happy. He is a artist.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI reproduction 30PICT-1 Carburetor - An in-depth review Reply with quote

The correct SVA single vacuum advance only distributors for these carburetors is:

113 905 205 K 1966-67 used on both bug and bus
131 905 205 1966-67 bus but will work on a bug
113 905 205 M 1968 bug and bus but can be run with these carbs by setting static timing to 0 degrees TDC
113 905 205 T 1969 but same info as the 113 M.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:57 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI reproduction 30PICT-1 Carburetor - An in-depth review Reply with quote

I'm running a rebuilt 205T from tasb with the Euromax. I ended up installing 117.5 & 55 jets (at altitude) and the combo is very happy. Had to replace the acc. pump shortly after getting all of that figured out due to stumbling off line.

The only issue I'm seeing now is it tends to run out of gas (literally) if I spend a little while at high rpm, like getting up a mountain. Fuel psi is right on at 2.8 with a freshly rebuilt Pierburg pump (did same with old Brosol) so I've been incrementally bringing up float level to trouble shoot.

I'm also considering going to an H30/31 from Volkzbitz if this one gives me any more trouble.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: