Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need some splainin to.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: Need some splainin to. Reply with quote

Okay. My wife has a 1974 Bus that has been sitting in her parent's driveway rusting away for the past hell I think 7 years. I am trying to figure what kinda bus and type of engine it has. It looks like a westy without the pop top. And It is a camper. But my wife says it is not a westy. It is just a plain ol' 74 Bus Camper. Anyway woobideedoo. I don't care so much about the rusted bucket I just care about what is under the hood. She has no clue and the car is too far away to go check out right now. So I am wondering what anyone's thoughts are on what exactly a 74 Bus Camper is referred to as, and what kind of engine might be under the hood. I am thinking of getting a junker 73-74 Super Beetle without an Engine and bringin it back to life with more power. Is the Bus Engine we already have a good choice for a swap depending on what type it may be? Or would a super beetle in the 73 74 era have a more powerful engine. I think if I am correct it does not. But hey I don't know that much about cars "yet".
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Need some splainin to. Reply with quote

Visible through the windshield on the driver's side front dash should be a VIN number. The first three digits should be 224 or 234, where 22 is passenger bus, 23 is kombi/camper and the third digit is the year model which shoud be a 4 if the bus is a 1974. If it is a stock 74 it has an 1800 cc type IV engine in it and dual carbs. Engine has a few merits, but it's not that simple to put the type IV engine into a beetle. Possible and many beetle owners have made the conversion, but it is expensive and probably not worth it unless you have a nice beetle worth spending some bucks on. Even then you would probably go ahead and use a 2000 cc type IV rather than the smaller 1800 cc. Take care.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: