Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mr. Buddy
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funagon wrote:
Mr. Heater Buddy is sold out at the Lowe's in SLC at 300 W 900 S.

Ha ha... I ran down to the Riverton (UT) Lowe's at lunch... all I saw were Mr. Tough Buddy heaters and the smaller one was $69 rather than $79. Bummer... that's more than I want to spend, but if I can find the small Buddy heater for the prices some of you are quoting I'll definitely snap one up.

Hey Funagon.... I don't know you, but if I track one down in the valley do you want me to PM you?

Paul
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went over to Lowes and not only did they not have the Buddy... they didn't have any more heaters on the shelves since they changed their stock over for air conditioning units!!!!! Mad

Not only is this frekin' idiotic for them to change to AC in early Feb, but here in the Portland area it's fairly rare to even need an AC! Man, do I ever hate Lowes; always have. This just cemented my opinion of that place.

So..... I ran over to a Home Depot and they had a Dyna-Glo Tag-along heater, reg seventy-something bucks, on clearance for $35! They also have a larger "double Tag-along" for $93, reg $130-ish. Not sure if the larger one had a fan or not.
I just went with the smaller, $35 one.

Appears to be very similar in design. Will use it tonight; will any luck it will warm it up in the van while I take a break between runs. Smile

For those in the Portland area, to help with your searching... the Lowes in question was on 217 close to I-5 and the Home Depot was just south of the interchange (look on your right as you head south on 5).
current: '90 syncro westy featuring 2.5 subi, front & rear lockers, decoupler, 16" wheels, and an empty bank account. Also added an '84 sunroof van, all original and unmolested except running a 2.1L motor.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksaholic wrote:
funagon wrote:

Ha ha... I ran down to the Riverton (UT) Lowe's at lunch... all I saw were Mr. Tough Buddy heaters and the smaller one was $69 rather than $79. Bummer... that's more than I want to spend, but if I can find the small Buddy heater for the prices some of you are quoting I'll definitely snap one up.

Hey Funagon.... I don't know you, but if I track one down in the valley do you want me to PM you?

Paul

Mine was priced at $69 as it sat on the shelf, but when it's scanned it's 50% off!! My local Lowes had no signage up indicating a sale, but it worked!! $69 became $34.50. Might want to go back and check.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
wymtns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip...picked one up today. An upgrade for me from the 4000 btu Coleman unit. Looks more stable and the oxygen and tip-over sensors are a plus.
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiram6 wrote:
Volksaholic wrote:
funagon wrote:

Paul

Mine was priced at $69 as it sat on the shelf, but when it's scanned it's 50% off!! My local Lowes had no signage up indicating a sale, but it worked!! $69 became $34.50. Might want to go back and check.

X2...the discount only showed up when they scanned mine
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a try. I called the Sandy Lowe's and he said they're not on sale, but maybe that's because it's not flagged as such. He said they didn't have any of the Mr. Heater Buddy heaters, just the Tough Buddy. Other than being yellow, I don't know what the difference is. I would like one of the smaller ones for spring camping and such, and using it in conjunction with my Big Buddy heater I could really warm up the garage when I need to (well, really warm is relative to what it's like out there now!).
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:
Ok, here's my review of my Dyna-Glo Tag-along heater. The thing works GREAT! Can't compare it directly to the Buddy heaters, but I suspect they are pretty darn similar.
So, if you can't find one of the Buddys at Lowes, just go to Home Depot and pick up one of these others.

Beats the snot out of the old-school small round Coleman (?) jobs! The Dyna-Glo warmed up the van 11.5 degrees in less than 30 mins. I thought this was reasonable. As the Buddy, has an ignighter built in which is very handy. Also has similar safety features as the Buddy.

One down side to this though, I'm sure it will eat the gas up pretty quickly. I bet you wouldn't get more than 2 hrs if it's left on high (the info says the Buddy, likewise, only gets 1.5 hrs).

Buy either, I'm sure they are both very good.... toss your old round POS propane heaters in the garbage!
current: '90 syncro westy featuring 2.5 subi, front & rear lockers, decoupler, 16" wheels, and an empty bank account. Also added an '84 sunroof van, all original and unmolested except running a 2.1L motor.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the MR Buddy heaters.. Hmm actually a Dyna_glow bought on clearance (mid-jan) a few years ago.. and they do work VERY well for our comfort heating. I have a nice down comforter so don't need it on over nights anyways.

but I've been intrigued by this new butane heater i've seen, as I use a Butane cookstove that uses the same cartridges..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought butane was even more dangerous than propane?

Anybody have a cheap-O version of those devices that you can refill the 1 lb bottle from a large BBQ propane tank? I'd sure like to rig something up to keep those empties from ending up in the landfill (and to keep them filled).
Or, are they cheap to buy and easy to use? Guess I should look on ebay for one....
teabone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: (it is cold here) Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. Scored one for the Vanagon at the store in West St Paul on Robert and there was still one there when I left. I wonder how much I'll use it, but whatever; the price was right. What I really liked was the looks of those big heat blower tube things at 50% off. One of those sure would make the garage a lot more accessible. Maybe next February...

zippyslug31 wrote:
I'd sure like to rig something up to keep those empties from ending up in the landfill (and to keep them filled).

Second. I see on the google that products to do such things exist, but well... it's just that I haven't blown anything up since 6th grade, and I don't want to start again with me and my van. Maybe a 5lb refillable, but keeping it in the van? Maybe up in the luggage rack... hmmmm...
85 Scirocco Deluxe 8v (resurrection in progress)

8419p27 wrote:
Aswan Brown is the Holy Grail of Vanagon paint. You should UPGRADE your opinion.

Last edited by teabone on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I was under the impression that they were relatively fool-proof.

Ironic that I'm mixing "refilling propane bottles" and "fools", but heh. Wink

If this was done outside away from your kids' firework display, I can't see this being overly dangerous. I know they sell devices like this for a reason... I suspect the relatively small volumes we are talking about minimizes the damage to only the Darwin Awards recipient who decides to light a cigar just prior to filling.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 16 gals of gasoline under your van are MORE dangerous .. that is unless you toss the disp cylinder in the fire or under a magnifying glass on a sunny day..

the falicy with those refill adapters is it will ONLY refill the cylinder with propane gas.. Hmm sounds like what I want.. well sure but you'll have such little usable propane in there that it's not even close to worth your time..
the little 16oz bottles came with LIQUID propane in and ALOT more fuel capacity in liquid form.

one USED to be able to turn the #20 bottles upside down to allow LIGUID propane into the refilled canister but with the new OPD valves they shut off when tipped over.

want to keep stuff out of the landfills.. stop sending it to landfills.. either lobby stronger for better recycling or go with that all your neighbors economics votes for.
/off soapbox

campgrounds in my area have a special collection bin for green disposables. but then campers toss everything else all mixed up in the dumpster. Rolling Eyes
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, thanks for the tip on the heaters. I went into the Sandy Lowe's.... the one I called the other day. They told me the "construction" heaters were not on sale and there were no plans to put them on sale yet. Today they had a 50% Off sign hanging on the shelf with the heaters... go figure. I picked up a "Tough Buddy" heater; I don't know what the difference between a Tough Buddy and the original Buddy is, other than it's yellow. The price was right.

I hadn't thought about the fact that you're only getting propane gas into the bottle when you refill from the BBQ tank, but that makes some sense. They don't seem to run as long, but it's still a cheap way to get small propane bottle for the camp stove, heater, and lantern. The refill adapters are pretty readily available if you do an Internet search.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to belabor the refilling cartridge tanks. I did turn my BBQ tank upside-down. It did provide liquid propane to the small tank. You have to use a pair of curved forceps to pull on the schrader valve (not push, and it should be on the high side of its rotation) to allow a bit of gas out which allows the liquid to flow into the tank. This among other things is what makes this risky. Besides the risk of freezing burns from the liquid propane.

This is not a really safe thing to do, and as others have said look on the web and make an informed decision. You really could end up like the Coyote in the Road Runner cartoons. Kind of a big blast mark on your driveway, with no eyebrows, hair, or possibly flesh. All that said, I do about half of mine as well. Then again, I have nothing to lose in the way of looks should I blow up.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed all the stuff about liquid vs. gas... just PRESUMED you had to flip the tank in order to get the correct fill.

What I was NOT aware of however was that some of those larger tanks have this "anti spill" valve. Will have to check to see if mine have this (have some old, and some new).

I'll post pics should I try this and end up burning my eyebrows off. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: