Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Propex: HS2000 or HS2800
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Propex would you run for Winter Camping?
HS2000 with 6500 btu and 1.9kwatts for $725
51%
 51%  [ 17 ]
HS2800 with 9500 btu and 2.8kwatss for $875
48%
 48%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 33

boulderdrop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Which Propex: HS2000 or HS2800 Reply with quote

Hey All, I'm looking to stay on station for skiing at Whistler in a few weeks. I'd love to do more resorts by the end of the year, so it's going to be some cold nights.

I'd really like to go the Propex HS2000 or HS2800 way, as the install seems easy and I can make use of the propane under the rig.

My rig is a 1984 Westfalia Vanagon, so there's a small amount of insulation. I'd love to be able to pop the top for storage while camping, but that's a secondary priority.

I just can't figure out what things will be like with the HS2000 (6500 btu, 1.9kw) or the HS2800 (9500 btu, 2.8kw). It seems like most people run the HS2000.

== HS2000 ==
Cost:$725 USD
Pro: 20% Cheaper, less space usage under the rear seat

== HS2800 ==
Cost:$875 USD
Pro: ~50% more BTU, but takes up more space

Anyone have any specific details or experience with these two units?

Thanks in advance!
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the HS2000 and it works fine. Don't see a need for something bigger, especially if you keep the pop top down or insulate the canvas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
2BOLLOX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Go Small Reply with quote

I have the small unit, it is almost too much heat.I think anything more would be overkill. I have added another tank, that was overkill, it sips gas. Best thing I did.
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running the 1600 and it works fine. Runs for days and days off the built in westy propane tank. Best mod I have ever made!!!
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the HS2000. I only use it if temps are below freezing. I would say that below about 20 degrees you'll also want to have insulation on your windows and poptop. I recently used it on a 0-5 degree night without insulation and it was on all night. I'll be testing in Crested Butte, Ouray, and Silverton next week with insulation. I'll let you know how that works.
'90 Westy Syncro EJ25 (money pit #1)
'96 FZJ80 (cheap by comparison^^)
'13 Golf R. Daily driver.
jeepwillies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this guys template for the pop top insulation. My wife is going to tray making this soon. We like the idea of having the top up for the storage reasons too.

Dave
need2boat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Everest Star 7900 Reply with quote

I winter camp a bit in the North East, Mostly NJ and PA. I would say go for the larger unit. I use a Everest Star 7900 in my van. It's a 12,000 BTU unit and find it's just right. A good friend of mine I camp with uses the 2000 and really wishes he went for the larger one. In fact I'm sure he would sell you his at a good price if interested. He needs to turn it on early to get the van to temp and it runs most of the night.

The larger unit will get to temp faster, cycle less, and add less noise while you sleep. none of these units are as quiet as advertised. another thing to think about if your a light sleeper.

JFF

Everest Star 7900
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Everest Star 7900 Reply with quote

need2boat wrote:
I winter camp a bit in the North East, Mostly NJ and PA.

Really! how often? I'm in NYC and haven't had my top popped since October Crying or Very sad I'm dieing to go, but none of my friends will go. They all think I'm crazy. Then again, I'm the only one in my immediate circle that still drives a VW. Bunch of sellouts Rolling Eyes I remember back when we had three Westies parked in a triangle every weekend. Regardless of winter, summer, snow, rain, or shine we were out there having a good time. I miss those days.
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: propex 2800 Reply with quote

i camp almost every weekend. I live in Connecticut. DAMN GLAD I GOT THE BIGGER ONE! heats insanely quickly... nothing like flipping the thermastat and laying back down for ten minutes and having it 70 degrees inside...

I LOVE MY PROPEX!

go to westy ventures web site... the 2800 he shows installed is my propex heater... KARL is amazing! I also have a huge sub woofer under there...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: loudness? Reply with quote

mine is quiet. I have no issues with it being loud. Maybe it was just installed well?

oh, to the brother in NYC... go out and camp... I go every weekend... usually behind Stratton down a snow mobile track and camp in the snow and cold...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
need2boat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: loudness? Reply with quote

[quote="aswah"]mine is quiet.

How loud something is and if bothers you is a personal thing I guess. I feel they are, and I know others who feel the same way. That said I'm sure there are people who can sleep through a car crash, I ride on the bus with them everyday. I'm sure how you install it can make some difference but I don't think that much.

JFF
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Everest Star 7900 Reply with quote

need2boat wrote:
I winter camp a bit in the North East, Mostly NJ and PA. I would say go for the larger unit. I use a Everest Star 7900 in my van. It's a 12,000 BTU unit and find it's just right. A good friend of mine I camp with uses the 2000 and really wishes he went for the larger one. In fact I'm sure he would sell you his at a good price if interested. He needs to turn it on early to get the van to temp and it runs most of the night.

The larger unit will get to temp faster, cycle less, and add less noise while you sleep. none of these units are as quiet as advertised. another thing to think about if your a light sleeper.

JFF

Everest Star 7900

I'd be interested in the propex if he decides to sell, I take it you in a baywindow? if your in a vanagon, where exactly did you put the everest unit???
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: noisy propex Reply with quote

brother not trying to ruffle your feathers... I heard they were insanely loud and horrible to try to sleep thru before I bought mine. That just isn't the case. It makes noise - yes. My fan in my bedroom makes noise too. Actually they are comparable in noise. I winter camp in my WESTY almost every week... does a little noise bother me more than camping in negative 20 weather in Alaska? hell no! The noise of the propex is minimal, very minimal. When Karl first installed mine and he hadn't put the two pipes venting it out the van, the heater was loud. After he finished the installation we went and camp in an old Civil War battlefield on top of a ridge. I slept like a baby, toasty warm with the top popped in mid January cold ass temperatures... I guess I get more bothered camping in some bulls%^t pay to use campground with noisy people running around... I usually stealth camp and the sound of the heater is way quieter than the streams/rivers I tend to camp near. Maybe my sub woofer is blocking some of the sound. who knows?
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeepwillies wrote:
Check out this guys template for the pop top insulation. My wife is going to tray making this soon. We like the idea of having the top up for the storage reasons too.

Dave

Is there a link you were referring to?
thanks
jeepwillies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops.

http://members.aol.com/fkc43/insulat.htm

Dave
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my insulation using this pattern - fits great!

jeepwillies wrote:
Oops.

http://members.aol.com/fkc43/insulat.htm

Dave

'90 Westy Syncro EJ25 (money pit #1)
'96 FZJ80 (cheap by comparison^^)
'13 Golf R. Daily driver.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Go Big or go Home Reply with quote

I have the Propex 2000, in my Syncro Westy. It is installed under the rear seat.

The Propex 2000 runs constantly even with the top down, even at the very lowest thermostat setting, when it is 20F outside. Thats with every single vent closed, door vents, dash vents, skylight, windows... everything closed, and the top Down.

Even though I have the ability to sleep by the side of the road, with traffic, I dont find the Propex "quiet"..

In terms you can relate to, I just went out to the Van and turned on the Propex, I also switched on the ignition, but not the engine, and turned on the rear heater fan..

Sitting in the drivers seat, on position 2 of the rear heater blower, the Propex can be heard above that sound, Propex is louder than position 2 of rear heater blower.

On position 3 of rear heater, the stock rear heater blower is so loud that you almost cant pick out the sound of the propex..

I do love my propex, it makes changing after skiing much more pleasant, and sitting in the van, while its below freezing outside, is more fun when its got a heater going..

I also totally endorse westyventures.com and Karl Mullendore. He is a stand up guy, and gives excellent service, for very modest prices.

My propex lights and works at altitude, without any changes to the pressure regulator. I have used it as high as 10,000 feet with no ignition problems.

Jonathan
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Everest Star 7900 Reply with quote

Really? Not as quiet as advertised? What exactly are you referring to? The newer units ARE more quiet than the older models. FWIW, it's almost impossible to make a squirrel-cage fan totally quiet. Take your AW furnace for instance, not exactly the poster child for quiet. The way to use a furnace properly in winter is to leave it on, whether at 60 during the day or whatever, it will be far quicker to crank to a higher temperature. I also wonder if your friend ever bothered to adjust the regulator to the recommended pressure. Not doing so will make the output more like a 1600. Also to note that the 2800 is dramatically louder than the 2000. To get either unit to run even more quietly, there is a muffler available from another heater company, Espar, that will work here as well.

need2boat wrote:

JFF

Everest Star 7900
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: loudness? Reply with quote

Yes, it does matter where the burner inlet/exhaust are located. The burner is responsible for the majority of what you refer to as 'noise'. Nothing like a rattling, screeching Hydroflame. Wink

[quote="need2boat"]
aswah wrote:
mine is quiet.

How loud something is and if bothers you is a personal thing I guess. I feel they are, and I know others who feel the same way. That said I'm sure there are people who can sleep through a car crash, I ride on the bus with them everyday. I'm sure how you install it can make some difference but I don't think that much.

JFF
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Roaring Fires Reply with quote

Ive actually come to love the sound of my Propex, especially the rumble the burner makes when it lights..

When I hear that, I know Im going to get a jet of warm air.

Kinda like listening to a roaring fire <g>

I think I will try cranking up my pressure regulator, and see how the 2000 fares at keeping the van warm without running constantly..

JonRumblingWarmly or GushingHotAir
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: