Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Successful X-Country Trip in a Thing!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you drive your THING X-country?
Heck Yah - let's go!
88%
 88%  [ 39 ]
Hells No - that's crazy talk.
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 44

gfulcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Another Successful X-Country Trip in a Thing! Reply with quote

Hey All..

While I wait for a client to show up, I decided to poke around the forums a bit for the first time in well, a long time..

Back in '99, I departed from Chatham, MA (on Cape Cod) with a map, a guitar and a small backpack in my '73 Thing (astro) for parts unknown. My trip covered 17,000 or so miles, almost every state in the union, over the course of a year. Total repair costs? about 40.00 dollars.

Absolutely the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Being a glutton for punishment, my wife of two weeks and I hopped in another '73 Thing (one with about 350,000 less miles on it) named "Clem", and drove from Boston, MA to our new home, San Francisco CA. We made the trip in about 12 days I think, via Chicago, Milwaukee (her birthplace), Billings, MT, Yellowstone Nat'l Park, to the coast of Oregon, and then down Route 1 to San Francisco.

I'd like to share with you all a video slideshow that I made of our trip. There are some obvious inside-stories that I don't feel compelled to share, but regardless - entertaining shots of Clem in a variety of scenic places!

Warning: the quicktime movie is large: 170 megs. But it's set to some road-trip tunes! Go to: http://www.inclinesandwires.com/coast-to-coast/home.html and go to the "DETAILS" page, there is a link to download the quicktime movie there, or you can opt for the old fashioned photo gallery (all 400 images).

Let me know your thoughts! It was a great trip, devoid of ANY technical difficulties!

-greg-
GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awsome pictures! I'm taking my Thing on a little road trip out to California next week. My unit is deploying to Iraq so I just thought I would have a little fun and enjoy myself with my dog before I go. I'll miss her... Crying or Very sad ...the dog I mean.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just a couple questions. How much did the gas set you back and what was your top speed with all the stuff in car?
kuebelwagen84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck in Iraq and stay safe

I envy both of you, I'm 23 right now and after college immediately started shift work, just bought a house (i.e., another money pit, spending my days off working on it, and extra money goes to a mortgage), and am getting married this september... I always wanted to go cross country in my 181 but it looks like I'll have to wait till retirement

that's ok though because I'm gonna do a body off resto and then go custom with the body once most of the stuff with the house is done (this spring) and can use that as an excuse to get into the garage and out of the house Very Happy

1600s of air-cooled German muscle!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gfulcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSD_Master wrote:

Just a couple questions. How much did the gas set you back and what was your top speed with all the stuff in car?

Hey there - first off, best wishes to you and yours as you head off to the Middle East. It's by no means a conflict I believe in, but I completely honor your service and bravery. I'm the first to admit that I don't belong in such a place. So, thank you and I'm sorry you have to endure...

your question about how much fuel? Honestly, we didn't even track or otherwise calculate it. Clem gets great mileage on account of a (then) Ghia transaxle with a long fourth gear, 15" wheels & tires, and a fresh Bob Donalds (Boston Bob) built engine with semi-hemi heads and extensive balancing. I run a stock Solex carb for great torque and the car is capable of 80+ mph for extended periods of time on the flat or slight downhill. Enter any sort of incline or headwind, and well, you know the routine. It's a cinderblock on wheels.

I think the added weight actually aids in fuel economy, if you're on the highway all day - the extra pounds give a certain amount of inertia and momentum and there is a lot more 'coasting' time.

The other problem with calculating fuel economy is a busted odometer.
There weren't any times when we were like "oh, crapstick! out of gas already?".

We weren't in any hurry, so speed was mostly irrelevant, and we stopped for many, many photos (as you may have noticed).

I would recommend it to anybody - the THING is a wonderful long-distance road tripper - nothing like it on the road, forces you to slow down, look around, smell the smells (and go deaf). Conversation awaits at every stop. You can't be in a hurry!

Where in Cali are you planning to visit?

-greg
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just voted "Hell No", but that's because I haven't got my Thing up to mechanical snuff. I doubt I could make it to Jersey let alone the west coast. That and the fact that I'm a big chicken.

The truth is I read your post and thought to myself "How awesome is that?!" Maybe one day I'll grow a pair and go for it.
GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't planning on setting any speed records. The journey is just as important as the destination in my book. I noticed, however, that large ammounts of weight seem to have slowed down my Thing considerably in the past. Maybe with the new engine (+ bug tranny) that won't be so much of a factor.

I don't have a specific itenerary, but I plan on visiting a few relatives in Los Angeles and San Diego, Going to the Beach (La Jolla etc.), camping in the desert (Joshua Tree National Park), visiting Sequoia and Kings Canyon, plus all of the places too and from California. I love the desert so I will be spending a lot of time there. It should be a fun trip.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet pics-was that PBR I saw (nice). Do you still have the Thing and did the tire mess up the front hood?
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would drive mine across country now. I probably wouldn't have a few months ago. Being new to me, I didn't have a chance to go threw it for some kind of level of confidence. New tires, total tune-up, and valve adjustments are the basics. When ever you get a new (used) car you have to become familiar with it before you just jump in on a cross country trip. I vote "sure" why not?

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
gfulcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Sweet pics-was that PBR I saw (nice). Do you still have the Thing and did the tire mess up the front hood?

Haha.. Yes, PBR - it was my wife's birthday, so there was some on-the-road-improvisation going on. The PBR has it's own long story - not because it's good. She got me back with some sort of awful "HURRICANE" malted beer substance, which I gave the ole college try, but wound up dumping into the sand when we stopped for dinner in the dunes of NorCal one night.

The spare tire was on the hood to create a lockable space under the hood for valuables (laptop etc) that we didn't ship out to California. I put a towel under the hood and made sure it was well anchored as not to move around. No damage at all.

-g
gfulcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSD_Master wrote:

I don't have a specific itenerary, but I plan on visiting a few relatives in Los Angeles and San Diego, Going to the Beach (La Jolla etc.), camping in the desert (Joshua Tree National Park), visiting Sequoia and Kings Canyon, plus all of the places too and from California. I love the desert so I will be spending a lot of time there. It should be a fun trip.

Holler if you're in the Bay Area! PM me for my phone number if you care to..

-greg
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chime in. I've done cross country sorties 5 times on BMW motorcycles.

The first time is always the hardest.

Maybe that's why I feared nothing at all when I picked up a '73 Ghia Convertible in Council Bluffs, IA in March (coming back from Antarctica where I bought it online) and driving it home to Asheville, NC and then mere days later down to Birmingham, AL through downtown Atlanta in a driving rain...

...or when I bought my '73 Thing via the Samba, took a bus to Ohio, and drove it home through the rural Ohio outback, into West Virginia, and home to Asheville in one 24 hour period.

I live for the unknown and old vehicles. Bring it on.
stevehenderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to make a trip you better do it in the next year or two. I bet there is no end in site to the increase in gass prices. New cars in the near future @ 50+ mpg will enable those oil dudes to raise gas above $5.00 gallon making our Things hard to justify much driving.

I think a welll maintained AC VW is no more risky than any other car--probably less. If your doing the mountains in a Thing they are kind of nice do to relativity low gearing. I'ts a little slow going, but you will want to look around with the top down anyway.
csmith181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a time when the thing was nut running that well, had questionable brakes and spent more time in the garage than on the road that i wouldn't have thought it even possible to go on a long trip.

Now I live in the Keys and drive her everyday, rain or shine, tropical heat or tropical storms. There is just no more fun way to travel.

I've fixed all the issues that have come up, and still spend WAY less than the payments on the cheapest car i can buy still in perfect serviceable condition.

Today I would definitely drive the thing on a long trip if I had the time.

I envy your ability to take the time for such a great trip!
npconnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've treated my engine pretty badly until recently, and it's never let me down. It's pretty bullet proof if you ask me. I think I would, now that I can pretty much tear apart the engine and can diagnose a lot of problems!
GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Army just wipped out some more orders for me. I won't be able to make the trip untill they expire in mid April. In the meantime I'm planning a smaller trip for between now and my report date.

The big green weenie strikes again! :2gunfire:

.......I should have expected it. California, I'll see you in April.
verbal1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone planning to travel long distance in an old volkswagen may want to check out this site. http://www.type2.com/rescue/
It looks like it might come in handy.
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Successful X-Country Trip in a Thing! Reply with quote

gfulcher wrote:
Hey All..

While I wait for a client to show up, I decided to poke around the forums a bit for the first time in well, a long time..

Back in '99, I departed from Chatham, MA (on Cape Cod) with a map, a guitar and a small backpack in my '73 Thing (astro) for parts unknown. My trip covered 17,000 or so miles, almost every state in the union, over the course of a year. Total repair costs? about 40.00 dollars.

Absolutely the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Being a glutton for punishment, my wife of two weeks and I hopped in another '73 Thing (one with about 350,000 less miles on it) named "Clem", and drove from Boston, MA to our new home, San Francisco CA. We made the trip in about 12 days I think, via Chicago, Milwaukee (her birthplace), Billings, MT, Yellowstone Nat'l Park, to the coast of Oregon, and then down Route 1 to San Francisco.

I'd like to share with you all a video slideshow that I made of our trip. There are some obvious inside-stories that I don't feel compelled to share, but regardless - entertaining shots of Clem in a variety of scenic places!

Warning: the quicktime movie is large: 170 megs. But it's set to some road-trip tunes! Go to: http://www.inclinesandwires.com/coast-to-coast/home.html and go to the "DETAILS" page, there is a link to download the quicktime movie there, or you can opt for the old fashioned photo gallery (all 400 images).

Let me know your thoughts! It was a great trip, devoid of ANY technical difficulties!

-greg-

I thought you had transmission problems in Clem.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSD_Master wrote:
Well, the Army just wipped out some more orders for me. I won't be able to make the trip untill they expire in mid April. In the meantime I'm planning a smaller trip for between now and my report date.

The big green weenie strikes again! :2gunfire:

.......I should have expected it. California, I'll see you in April.

Keep your head down. Don't volunteer for nuthin, and change your socks regularly.

That's what my dad told me. I dunno if it matters at all, but so far, so good.
gfulcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Successful X-Country Trip in a Thing! Reply with quote

emersonbiggins wrote:
gfulcher wrote:
Hey All..
-greg-

I thought you had transmission problems in Clem.

I did, then, technically have "troubles" - but they were simply a squealing bearing in my transaxle - didn't slow us down or hinder us in any way. I ordered up a new Rancho transaxle when we got here, and installed it three or more months later - the transaxle never failed - it was just noisy.

Thanks for the correction - I guess I just didn't/don't/wouldn't classify this as any "real" problem. I would have turned around and driven back to the East Coast on the transaxle that was making noises.

either way, I guess I have to remember to not have any discrepancies when sharing my adventure stories!

-g
roofcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good thing is that if you don't know any better, it seems to work out, or luck out. My trips include a 1936 BMW R6 with sidecar, 1963 BMW 700 convertible (which I still have) then a 53 BMW R67, after that a 71 land rover series 2a..... A long trip in my 73 Thing is a piece of cake compared to all those others. Even in the Thing you fear that your nothing but a traffic cone to folks in other cars, trucks, and semi's....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: