Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need opinions - New American-made Webers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Need opinions - New American-made Webers Reply with quote

I have the opportunity to buy an original set of Spanish Weber 44 IDFs but I see that the new American-made Weber kits are only about $125 more. And they're brand new. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they the same quality as the older, original ones?

Need opinions on what to get. thanks. Smile
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the Spanish set the American made set aren't that good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stoneloco808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American made Webers? I never heard of those. Could someone post a link to those American made Webers.
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=325257
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if those are the Empi HPX knockoffs or whatever they are selling them as.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not HPMX... EMPI is so proud of there's their logo can be seen in 25 places on each carb...

Yes some new Webers are also made in USA....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the IDF's are made in the U.S. now. Back when everyone was saying Weber went out of business, and there was a carb shortage, Weber was in the process of transferring the production of the IDF Carbs to the U.S. from Spain. IDF's will no longer be made in Spain. I know quite a few people that are very satisfied with thier EMPI HPMX Carbs. These American Made Webers are genuine Weber Carbs. I would see no reason that they would not be good. If you feel you have to have the Spanish IDF's, get them while you can. Once they're gone, they're gone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
All of the IDF's are made in the U.S. now. Back when everyone was saying Weber went out of business, and there was a carb shortage, Weber was in the process of transferring the production of the IDF Carbs to the U.S. from Spain. IDF's will no longer be made in Spain. I know quite a few people that are very satisfied with thier EMPI HPMX Carbs. These American Made Webers are genuine Weber Carbs. I would see no reason that they would not be good. If you feel you have to have the Spanish IDF's, get them while you can. Once they're gone, they're gone.

Where are they made in the U.S.?Just curious.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I no longer have the e-mail from Weber of North America, and have since misplaced the printed copy. There is a company called Magnoli Marelli (spelling?) that previously made some of Webers Carbs like the ICT's, and Progressives that now makes the IDF's. I'm sure if you e-mail Weber of North America at [email protected] they could tell you.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sent 20 sets of these Carbs to do observations on by a large VW parts supplier..

The result was a 70% failure rate right out of the box..

Everything from bent throttle plates to castings with porosity issues tthat were not repairable..

My work resulted in 300 carbs being sent back to Weber. This was as recent as November of 07.

You won't know if they are good or bad till you fire it up!

I'll bet money that Weber didn't crush those 300 carbs that got shipped back to them-
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that the body looks different. Do they only make 44 or 40´s also?
biancovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=181683&highlight=american+idfs
stoneloco808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
I was sent 20 sets of these Carbs to do observations on by a large VW parts supplier..

Everything from bent throttle plates to castings with porosity issues tthat were not repairable..

My work resulted in 300 carbs being sent back to Weber. This was as recent as November of 07.

I'll bet money that Weber didn't crush those 300 carbs that got shipped back to them-

For some reason this is funny. It seems like the "Made in the USA" stuff is not that much/or any better than that empi/chinese stuff.

I am glad I still have my old italian and spanish made IDA's and IDF's stored away for future use.
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stoneloco808 wrote:
Jake Raby wrote:

For some reason this is funny. It seems like the "Made in the USA" stuff is not that much/or any better than that empi/chinese stuff.

I am glad I still have my old italian and spanish made IDA's and IDF's stored away for future use.

...and that raises an excellent point.All the flag waivers should read into this thread, and draw any conclusion they want.Reality is, there's NO guaranty that "made in the USA" is any measure of quality.Look at the shitboxes the big 3 have been making/selling the last 10 years...but that's another argument.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys,

I been telling people for years that the US Weber's should not be used, as far as I'm concerned they are junk. Yes they are probably better than the HPMX's, but that isn't saying much.

The Spanish Weber's are the way to go, they are still available. Obviously, old Italian Weber's are also excellent.

If I'm not mistaken, the US Weber's are actually manufactured in China, but assembled in North Carolina at Weber's plant there. It's actually a situation were you shouldn't care where it's made, they just plain suck there are always some Made in USA Turds to go along with some of the quality domestically made stuff.

Every week I hear from people who heard my advice on the US Weber's and elected to ignore it to save a little bit of money, and are kicking themselves over it.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
monokromatik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
guys,

I been telling people for years that the US Weber's should not be used, as far as I'm concerned they are junk. Yes they are probably better than the HPMX's, but that isn't saying much.

The Spanish Weber's are the way to go, they are still available. Obviously, old Italian Weber's are also excellent.

If I'm not mistaken, the US Weber's are actually manufactured in China, but assembled in North Carolina at Weber's plant there. It's actually a situation were you shouldn't care where it's made, they just plain suck there are always some Made in USA Turds to go along with some of the quality domestically made stuff.

Every week I hear from people who heard my advice on the US Weber's and elected to ignore it to save a little bit of money, and are kicking themselves over it.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

Just ordered a pair of Weber 40 idf's from CB Performance.
I was given reassurance by 2 sales reps that I will be receiving
spanish webers..I hope they're not pulling my leg.

A word of caution to those who plan on ordering from Weber Direct,
call before you place your order. I received confirmation that their 40 idf kits are US Weber's.

Cheers
dubkrzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake, did you mean 30 carbs sent back?
Hophead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that the supplier of the carbs to Jake sent only a fraction of their inventory to him. Upon hearing the results they flushed the whole lot back to Weber so as not to hurt their own customers....
P&P 043 40x35.5
9.6-1 comp
FK-8
48 IDA
TroyG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O come on John tell us how you really fell, Don't hold back. LOL

If John says it you had better listen to him, I can't thank you enough for all your help over the last 2 years John.
Thanks Man

Troy Goodwin
http://www.volkstalk.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubkrzy wrote:
Jake, did you mean 30 carbs sent back?

No, 300- a whole stock order.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: