Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What bus do I have.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: What bus do I have. Reply with quote

I am bran new to VW's. I just bought a 72 bus to cruise the country in this summer. How do I tell what it is. Ie, westfalia or what. It has a camper. Thats about all the info I know. Thanks for any help. Also, what are the first things to inspect to make sure it will be worthy of a long trip? Thanks
matt
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: What bus do I have. Reply with quote

check out www.wetwesties.org

they have a links site and there they have a buyer's guide checklist. I know you already have bought it but it is a really good place to start as far as what to look for regarding potential problems...good luck

joey
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: What bus do I have. Reply with quote

Make sure the timing is right, the points are set, the valves are adjusted, CV joints, brakes, and carb are good. Maybe bring extra shift, brake, and gas cable, some tools, gas can, maybe install an oil sump. Take some 100 mile test drives before! Buy some books on it like Muir's Idiot's Guide and/or Bentley manual.
vwsrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: What bus do I have. Reply with quote

Chabanais is right but he left out one thing. Compression. Check it. It's like the motors heart beat. If it's weak, your bus won't last much longer. And replacing an engine on the road isn't all that much fun.

Also, join a local club. Attend their meetings a make friends with folks. They will be able to help you out too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: What bus do I have. Reply with quote

Engine compartment seals need to be in perfect condition,especially on a heavy camper.If you can see light between the engine compartment tin and the ground anywhere it needs to be plugged up somehow,and print out the A.I.R.S. list before you go on any long trips.Good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: What bus do I have. Reply with quote

To answer the type-of-camper question, your biggest clue for the '72 will be the type of top - is it a pop-top, high roof, of hardtop? What stuff does it have in the interior--especially in appliances. What is the interior upholstery like? You can find info on the Westfalias (most common conversion) at http://busdepot.com/campers.htm. Other conversions (ASI/Riviera, Sundial, Sprtsmobile, Dormobile, etc.) you'll have to look for. Check out the tech articles at type2.com. There's some good stuff there. And good luck!!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: What bus do I have. Reply with quote

It does have a pop-top. THe interior is stripped but I do believe it had a sink, stove and fridge before the guy before me tore them out. Thanks for all your help samba.
matt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: