Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus movie sighting
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 2013:
AB westy nut wrote:
Not sure if this one's been mentioned yet, but there's a green and white transporter in the background in The Spy Who Loved Me.
Here it is, seen when James Bond and Major Anya Amasova (Sir Roger Moore, Barbara Bach) are in the white 1977 Lotus Esprit. As they drive through a village, an assassin on his black motorcycle (foreground) gets ready to follow them. IMDB lists the location as the town of Sassari in northwest Sardinia, which is one of the islands off the western coast of mainland Italy.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

Movie "Highpoint" (1982) filmed in Los Angeles area. Lewis Kinney with passenger Lise (Richard Harris, Beverly D'Angelo) in the silver Firebird are involved in a chase with Centino (Saul Rubicek) in a dark green big-bumper MGB Roadster. This scene is in Venice, with the short bridges over the canals providing both chase cars to become airborne. They pass a faded blue Bay Window with missing taillamps. Hard to see, but if those are the low-mounted side reflectors in the first shot, then the Bay would be a '68 or '69.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

TV Mystery Movie series "McCloud" (1970 - 1977) has Marshall Sam McCloud (Dennis Weaver) from Taos, New Mexico working temporarily in New York City. In the opening credits he is riding on one of NYC's main avenues on horseback, and a dark green early Bay Window bus is at right.
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

I didn't see any photos of it in this thread, if it's already here I apologize.

Amazing sequence from Delta Force with Chuck Norris.

Link
[/youtube]

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
BoltonFTW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

HoboBus wrote:
I didn't see any photos of it in this thread, if it's already here I apologize.

Amazing sequence from Delta Force with Chuck Norris.

Link
[/youtube]

:2gunfire: White Bay Bus
1977 Westfalia Weekender Tintop (very first car - SOLD Sad )
1992 VW Corrado VR6 (SOLD)
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aircoolfreak wrote:
The wife saw this on Army Wives.....
so I pulled a few screen shots

Do you have these images? The girl in SC that from whom I bought my bus said it was in Army Wives. I bought this one in late 2007
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

Movie "No Man's Land" (1987) filmed in Los Angeles, California. Porsche car thieves Ted Varrick and Benjy Taylor (driving the silver 930 Turbo; actors Charlie Sheen and D.B. Sweeney) pass by a parked green late Bay window, and by a grey with black bumpers Bay camper during the car chase with a dark blue Camaro.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

"The Rock": 1996 movie filmed in San Francisco, California. The car chase segment starts with John Patrick Mason (Sean Connery) driving off in a Hummer. During his high-speed run he hits the Van Ness & Market Street cablecar strong enough to knock it off its tracks and its guide cable so that it slides/freely rolls down a hill. It sideswipes a 1993 Mercury Villager which hits a parked ~'71 Deluxe Bay window.

The cablecar slides down through an intersection after hitting a Chevy Blazer which blows up spectacularly. FBI agent Stanley Goodspeed (Nicolas Cage) commandeers the yellow '96 Ferrari 355 Spider and chases the Hummer.

IMDB lists the location as the New Russian Hill Market on 1198 Pacific Ave. in SF.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

Great captures!, from the way the side of that bus is brutalized I bet it took more than one take to get that scene. Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

Here’s some screenshots from the music video for the song “House of Fun” by the band Madness. There’s also an early Vanagon parked outside the store next to the green Bay.

This one is from the Michael Nesmith video for the song “Cruisin’” Amazing forgotten video that I’m pretty sure pre-dates MTV.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

"Capricorn One" from 1977. The movie segment of investigative journalist Robert Caulfield (Elliott Gould) trying to control his blue '65 Ford Mustang, was filmed in Long Beach, California. Caulfield has been pursuing clues that a 3-man space mission to Mars has been called off moments before launch. His Mustang was tampered with to disable the brakes, igntion and throttle. As the car picks up speed, he manages to avoid traffic collisions. Many VWs are in background. There are about a dozen various cars seen repeatedly during the run. This '70 (appears to have "rectangular" side reflectors) Bay van is first seen as Caulfield cuts through a gas station, then passes it on the street.

As Caulfied enters an intersection and swerves in a circle, the van is seen again on the opposite side waiting for the green light. The beige '74 Beetle, the orange Super Beetle Cabriolet and the 280-ish Mercedes-Benz Sedan will be seen moments later even though the Mustang's speedometer is showing reaching above 80 mph.

There's a glimpse of a late white Bay Westy in the blurry intersection swerve:

The runaway car segment ends when Caulfield breaks through the construction barriers at the lifting bridge and plunges into the water. The blue Bay van is at the right. In front of it in the waiting line are the Benz, the SB Cabrio and the beige '74.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

This thread cracks me up. Put on any old movie and you will see a Bus! Very Happy
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
This thread cracks me up. Put on any old movie and you will see a Bus! Very Happy

It’s pretty cool. Along with “Bays on the Way” it is my favorite of the ‘fun’ threads. Beetles and Buses were so ubiquitous in our society at one point. I was born in ‘76, so I while I certainly don’t remember them when they were still being produced, they were still everywhere when I was a kid. These movies are a neat reminder of that.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

In "Live and Let Die" (1973), James Bond (first Bond movie with Roger Moore) is following a tan Cadillac while in a Checker Cab and passes by this Ivory early Bay parked. Cad stops at the Fillet of Soul club at the left corner. IMDB shows the location as East 94th St and 2nd Avenue in Manhattan. Map shows that E 94th has the one-way traffic heading eastward.
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:

I laugh too. Yet here I am, checking every post. Laughing
72 Baja
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

Recent TV commercial for the allergy relief medication Allegra (generic name Fexofenadine Hcl) has a teal 1973+ Westfalia pop-top camper on the road, and at a campfire in the evening. Color does not appear to be a factory one per the Sales brochures in theSamba Archives, being lighter and more green than Reef Blue and Orient Blue.

Last edited by Rome on Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

Red Bay window camper in "Every Which Way but Loose". In this humorous Clint Eastwood 1978 movie (he plays main character Philo Beddoe), his brother Orville (Geoffrey Lewis) runs past the camper trying to escape from the Black Widows biker gang. Filmed in Georgetown, Colorado which is along Interstate 70 approx. midway between Denver and Vail. You don't see the rear of the bus so that you can't determine if it's a '71 (flat hubcaps, rectangular side reflectors) or a '72 (large taillamps).

Here's the video segment; camper appears at 3:38. And that's not a dark blue 412 Sedan on the left; a later shot from the rear shows it's a Saab 99. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShDa4yxHZe0
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

"Spark" movie (1998) has several Bay Windows in the background of the small desert junkyard. I can't find its location per internet search. Only clue is the maroon license plate (Arizona?) on the front of a Beetle, though the beige Squareback has a '70's era 6-character blue Calif. plate on the back. Main character Byron's (Terrence Howard) 1980-era BMW 320i breaks down while he's driving from Chicago to Calif. A local young man Mooney (Brendan Sexton III) offers to help by going to a local junkyard to try to find a starter for it.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

This is from the beginning of the music video for “Shake It Up” by The Cars. About a second later it shows a hand in a tool box pulling out a VW dash escutcheon tool. Along with the Beetle on the lift there are also two water cooled VWs (a Dasher and a Fox maybe).

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus movie sighting Reply with quote

Yep, a small-bumper '73 (?) Audi Fox on the lift, and a 4-door '78+ Dasher Sedan/hatchback on the shop floor. Volkswagen Fox started in 1987, based on the Brazilian Parati sedan.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 30

Jump to: