Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotrodsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: wider wheel or spacer? Reply with quote

Hi and thanx in advance.My drivers side wheel sit's tucked in under fender about 2" more than passengers, which sits out.Do not know whole history of car, but has been salvaged, does drive straight, and I do know the drivers side fender is more narrow than the passengers.I do not like the look of uneveness.Could/should I add a spacer to drivers side, or go with a bit wider wheel to make it look a more balanced?Once again, thanks for any input.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: wider wheel or spacer? Reply with quote

hotrodsurf wrote:
My drivers side wheel sit's tucked in under fender about 2" more than passengers, which sits out.Do not know whole history of car, but has been salvaged, does drive straight, and I do know the drivers side fender is more narrow than the passengers.I do not like the look of uneveness.Could/should I add a spacer to drivers side, or go with a bit wider wheel to make it look a more balanced?Once again, thanks for any input.

Can you post up some pics and give us the wheel and tire size in order for us to better help you? It sounds like the mismatched fenders are the real problem here. As I have run into a lot of problems using spacers and shims I can't recommend using them. It's not the right way to do things and could become a safety issue.

IMHO, as long as you have one fender that is a different size than the other one, the car will always look uneven no matter what you do with your wheels. There are a couple of vendors that sell NOS body parts, but the prices are very high. Try checking out the Samba classifieds first for a new fender, or set of matching fenders.
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys !

Some new stuff for that sticky ! I finally purchased new tires and had them install on my 6X15 baja chrome spoke wheels I had for a while. I chose Toyo tires in 195/80R15, in an agressive thread. I love them Very Happy BUT they rub up front. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
S_it ! I hate this. I was sure they would be fine. I thought 195r15 was reasonable. It rubs on the outside, especially the right side. It rubs when cornering, when "rockcrawling" a sidewalk...I don't even imagine doing some light off road. Jacked up at the tire shop, it looked fine. I was their last customer of the day. They closed the shop just after I left, so I couldn't go back and change the tires. I'll go tomorrow...Here's some night shots I took back home :

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rear is fine

Front rubs : see the inner fender lip is already bent... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Overall look is great Evil or Very Mad

I considered many options on the way back home :
- wide fiberglass fenders (on all 4 corners)
- stiffer gas shock absorbers (GR2 or coilovers) to replace the stockish oil (cofap) ones
- smaller tires up front (like 185r15) with a less agressive thread... Crying or Very sad
any other ideas...?
I think I'll go change the tires tomorrow 'cause I can't drive like this and wait for new fenders or shocks to be delivered...and Thing is my DD...
I'll keep this updated.

Pierre
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, update :

I went back to the tire shop and changed the front tires. I went for Michelin Agilis 185/80R15C. Not the same beautiful agressive thread, but no more rubbing issues. I guess I should be happy, but I already miss these beautiful Toyo tires. I will post pics of the new combo soon.
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre G wrote:

I considered many options on the way back home :
- wide fiberglass fenders (on all 4 corners)
- stiffer gas shock absorbers (GR2 or coilovers) to replace the stockish oil (cofap) ones
- smaller tires up front (like 185r15) with a less agressive thread... Crying or Very sad
any other ideas...?

I had the same problem with my Toyos. It wasn't the brand of course, but the size. After going to a smaller size Toyo which fit, but was still tight, I installed new shocks. I had no idea that the existing shocks were original and completely shot. After installing new KYB Gas-A-Just shocks I gained at least 1 to 2 more inches of clearance. It made all the difference in the world. A lot of folks seem to dislike the Gas-A-Just shock because it is too stiff and makes for a harsh ride, but I haven't had any issues. Maybe because I have nothing to compare it to?

Black Cragars (Jeep pattern) with 205/75/15s...

Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Slim, thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, I couldn't wait to order new shocks because I drive the Thing daily. So I changed for the 185R15C. They're not as great as the Toyos, but the overall look is OK. I'll post pics when the rain stops Evil or Very Mad . I'm still considering to go back to Toyos with that big agressive thread one day when I'll be prepared. I'll try new shocks and maybe raise the car with Avis adjusters front and 1/2 click up rear.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your 74 (Jean's Bug) I have a 73 Bug parts car that has certain parts that are as new. Trade, donation, honorarium. Let me know if you are missing any small part or other.. K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
On your 74 (Jean's Bug) I have a 73 Bug parts car that has certain parts that are as new. Trade, donation, honorarium. Let me know if you are missing any small part or other.. K-mann

Thanks a lot for the offer K-mann. I'll think about it, even though my jean's bug needs more new parts (like a pair of new pans Embarassed ). Still, that's very kind...Thanks.
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun 181 wrote:

I had the same problem with my Toyos. It wasn't the brand of course, but the size. After going to a smaller size Toyo which fit, but was still tight, I installed new shocks. I had no idea that the existing shocks were original and completely shot. After installing new KYB Gas-A-Just shocks I gained at least 1 to 2 more inches of clearance. It made all the difference in the world. A lot of folks seem to dislike the Gas-A-Just shock because it is too stiff and makes for a harsh ride, but I haven't had any issues. Maybe because I have nothing to compare it to?

Black Cragars (Jeep pattern) with 205/75/15s...

What's the size of those cragars ? I guess 15x7 minimum, 'cause I can't imagine smaller wheels for a Jeep. What was the size tires you tried that were too big. I like your Toyos, but I wanted something more agressive. And they were too agressive Crying or Very sad with my front fender Shocked .
I'm still thinking about options to go back for the 195R15 Toyos. I'm still not decided. Maybe I'll try :
1. KYB shocks, and then if it's not enough,
2. raising suspension front and rear, and/or
3. wider fenders
I don't know if I'd like wide fenders. I would love them for a radical off road modified Thing. But that was not my original plan for my Thing...mmmh, we'll see.
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's some dayshots of the new tires :

before changing the front tires

Looks very close to the front fender, too close.

Looks better, but the car was not on a straight floor. Like this, it would have fit.

Back from the shop with the new tires : Michelin Agilis 185R15C. This time, no more rubbing issues. Cool

Overall look is not too bad...

One day, I'll go back to this... Razz

This angle shows the difference in width between rear and front tires.

I kinda get used to the new look and sort of like it. I'm happy that I finally have my new wheels on the Thing. They were sitting since 1 1/2 year and I couldn't wait anymore...

Hope all this will help other Thing fellows in their future choice for wheels/tires. That's what this sticky is for... Wink
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre G wrote:
What's the size of those cragars ? I guess 15x7 minimum, 'cause I can't imagine smaller wheels for a Jeep. What was the size tires you tried that were too big. I like your Toyos, but I wanted something more agressive. And they were too agressive Crying or Very sad with my front fender Shocked .
I'm still thinking about options to go back for the 195R15 Toyos. I'm still not decided. Maybe I'll try :
1. KYB shocks, and then if it's not enough,
2. raising suspension front and rear, and/or
3. wider fenders
I don't know if I'd like wide fenders. I would love them for a radical off road modified Thing. But that was not my original plan for my Thing...mmmh, we'll see.

Yes, the Cragars are 15x7. All of the other info regarding my clearance issues (tire sizes, etc.) are in this thread (from the "Will It Fit" section of the sticky) called "Tire clearance help... again " I thought I originally had Toyos, but I guess they were Yokohamas. Now there was a nice aggressive tread. Man I loved that tire/wheel combo! Check out the pics - and see how they obviously didn't fit...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232993

I would think wider fenders would be the absolute last resort. Personally, I just don't like the look of them. But the cost of the parts, shipping, matching paint, etc., not to mention the effort. What a hassle. While I wanted bigger tires I found that an aggressive tread in a slightly smaller tire combined with new shocks was all that was needed.
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun 181 wrote:

Yes, the Cragars are 15x7. All of the other info regarding my clearance issues (tire sizes, etc.) are in this thread (from the "Will It Fit" section of the sticky) called "Tire clearance help... again " I thought I originally had Toyos, but I guess they were Yokohamas. Now there was a nice aggressive tread. Man I loved that tire/wheel combo! Check out the pics - and see how they obviously didn't fit...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232993

I would think wider fenders would be the absolute last resort. Personally, I just don't like the look of them. But the cost of the parts, shipping, matching paint, etc., not to mention the effort. What a hassle. While I wanted bigger tires I found that an aggressive tread in a slightly smaller tire combined with new shocks was all that was needed.

I just took the time to read the entire thread about your wheels/tires/shocks. Some interesting info there. I'll order some KYBs too to add some more clearance, even though it's OK right now...But a 'lil more space between the tires and the fenders will create a better look IMO. I don't know if I'll go for Gas-adjust though, because I indeed read several times that they were too stiff... I'll keep updated...
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the gas a just will raise your thing, the GR-2 only provide a good shock. The gas a just are pressurized, I have used them for 25 years with no complaints.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferretkona wrote:
Only the gas a just will raise your thing, the GR-2 only provide a good shock. The gas a just are pressurized, I have used them for 25 years with no complaints.

You mean you have them currently on your Thing, and they're not too stiff...? Even in the front ?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discussion about disc brakes and wheels for disc brakes have been moved here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to merge these two threads together from the Off-Road forum.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351210

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
j5josher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay im looking for some tires... mad swampers... to fit my thing...

i know they have to be low profile

so i found these...

i know there jc withney but there alright in my eyes... there super swampers... Twisted Evil
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10...0000383152

i also got some bug rims that are 15" but there skinny...

let me know... i'll raise the car if needed...

but i dont feel like matching paint for wide fenders...
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: tire combo Reply with quote

my guess for 225's, you will need some lift especially in front end. I am looking at 235's and I have a 3" body. They are just around 29". I believe you can get 205's under fenders with no issue pending rim size/offset
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j5josher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im just doin rear...

fronts will be 205...

i have 205 and i have atleast 3 inchs of cleance...

i'll raise the rear a click if needed...

okay did some number cruching...

205/70r14 is 25.3" diameter... and 8.1 inches wide..

the 195/80R15's above fit the rear about perfect i guess.. and they were 27.3" diameter and 7.7 inches wide

my freshly found swampers are 225/85/14 and are about 29.1" diameter and 8.9" wide

so if his 27.3" fit good...

one click in the rear and the 29.1" would fit hopefully...

hummm

well hummm i'll make a cardboard cut out and test the tire path at full load idk how to test the width thou...

hummm well if they would work that would be a monster tire to use on it..
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so just to clarify, If i find a wheel stamped 5JKX14 It will fit the thing? even if its from a bus?

Last edited by Yarkle on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: