Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pictures of Under-Dash Wiring?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozmello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:04 pm    Post subject: Pictures of Under-Dash Wiring? Reply with quote

Does anyone have pictures of the under-dash wiring? The wiring in my Thing above the fuse block looks like a bird's nest, and not a pretty one at that! Against the firewall there appears to be some blocks made from insulating material with holes for straps that appears to be where the various relays and switches were originally mounted instead of just floating around like mine are.

I'm trying to get the Thing in running order and then will address the wild wiring. I've already eliminated a mystery toggle switch from under the dash that I believe was a previous owner's attempt to operate the wipers without replacing the wiper switch. There are also some wire butts that I'm anxious to trace with an eye towards either eliminating or dressing them properly. Thanks!
Johnnyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Under-Dash Wiring? Reply with quote

Pictures from my 74 Thing.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Under-Dash Wiring? Reply with quote

I don't think pictures will be very helpful because the "norm" of the underdash wiring is a rat's nest (with the possible exception of some OCD rewires). It simply came from the factory as a rat's nest.

I's best to attack one system at a time using the wiring diagram available in the Tech Section. I replaced the entire wiring system in my car and it was nearly impossible to make any order of it.

If I recall the wiring is not really a single unit but rather a group of subunits.

There's
"Main" - Mostly wire from the engine bay to under the dash.
"Front" - Underdash to front harness (Headlights, front fender lights, horn)
"Brake" - From Master cylinder to underdash
"Wiper" - From wiper to underdash

Then there what they call the dash wires (not really what you would call a harness). Mostly individual wires leading to/from switches and components that are impossible to group together. The color coding is your friend. PO modifications are the devil.

What I can tell you is that brand new wiring is a blessing. Gone are the brittle and corroded wires, insulation and connectors. Wire actually increases resistance over time giving you all sorts of headaches.

Good luck
Ozmello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Under-Dash Wiring? Reply with quote

LMAO! Thanks, Semper Dad. Those pics could have been from my car! I will likely replace some of the harnesses over time. I'm trying to stay concentrated on one issue at a time, but the Thing keeps trying to distract me with multiple problems popping up. Guess that's what you get when you buy a fifty year old car!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Under-Dash Wiring? Reply with quote

Here's mine Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ozmello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Under-Dash Wiring? Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. It's going to take some tracing and dressing to get things 'tamed' under the dash. Still tracing stray wires and mystery switches. I'm making notes on the wiring diagram printout that I have so that the next person who has to look under the dash has a few clues. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: