Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removal of Steering Column Ignition locking unit
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Sheffield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Removal of Steering Column Ignition locking unit Reply with quote

I have a 1962 Beetle that I am told is a "European" Beetle simply because it has an ignition switch locking unit attached to the steering column. Is this in fact indicative of a European Model? Has anyone attempted to remove this locking unit? If so, how is it done?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lock is held by two shear bolts; the heads are broken off as they reach the correct torque. You have to drill them out carefully to remove them. Then you'll have to find replacement bolts.

Why are you removing it?
Steve Sheffield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body is currently off the chasis and I am preparing it for sandblasting. I will be painting the steering column a different color than the body. Also, I do not want to expose the ignition locking unit to the sandblasting.
Michaudracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I came across one was in a junkyard. I removed it by turning the bolts from the top side with vice grips or whatever I had, and finishing them off from the bottom with needle-nosed pliers. The drill method would probably work well finishing it off with an easy-out.

-Steve
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The risk in grabbing the top ends is that you will chew the threads. As long as you can further tighten them so they remove from the trunk area, you may be fine. But if you remove them from below, those chewed threads on the bolts will chew the threads of the holes on the dash. Were you able to get them through to the trunk side?
'67Vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a parts break down of the bolts that you will have to drill the heads off of to remove the column. Look at the bolts and you'll see the part of the bolt that shears off once it tightened to the correct torque. Hope this helps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'67 Sedan (2)
'63 Rag Top
'62 Sedan
'70 Single Cab
'71 Bus
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 and 6 are the shear bolts. 4 must be washers, not nuts; the nuts were tack welded to the dash sheet metal.

If your steering shaft has the tabs welded on so the steering lock works, then it's worth fixing. Otherwise this setup is no more secure than the non-lockable, since you can easily hotwire it from the trunk area in both cases.
Steve Sheffield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
Since this 62VW has the ignition locking unit, is it important to salvage it? Does the locking unit mean that the car is European?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the locking column was optional in Europe, and not in the US, so it is probably a Euro bug.
L572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed my shear bolts by drilling them with a small drill and using an easy-out to easily back them out. Once I got them out and had the lock removed, I put the bolts into a padded vice and used a hack saw to cut a slot in the rounded head of the bolt (a dremel with a small diamond cutoff disk would work, too).... a good sized slot for a large screwdriver blade. Makes reassembly a snap.
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West sell a replacement ignition lock with shear bolts included, but they do not sell the shear bolts separately. Is there any place that does sell the correct shear bolts?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111905851B
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Critter1 wrote:
Wolfsburg West sell a replacement ignition lock with shear bolts included, but they do not sell the shear bolts separately. Is there any place that does sell the correct shear bolts?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111905851B

I contacted Wolfsburg West, and the shear bolts are $5 ea. They don't have the correct washers though.
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That steering lock assembly won't do a bit of good without the correct tube and column.
As far as your lock is concerned,do you want something that will stop most theives and sets your bug apart from most others,or do you want what everyone else has?
die schwarzen Schafe #666
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn,$150 for just the lock??? I'm only asking $100 for my complete assembly WITH the key!
die schwarzen Schafe #666
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Willis wrote:
That steering lock assembly won't do a bit of good without the correct tube and column.
As far as your lock is concerned,do you want something that will stop most theives and sets your bug apart from most others,or do you want what everyone else has?

If your asking me if I need a lock... I have an original 67 set up with the original column and column tube so no worries there. I just need a pair of shear bolts.
That WW unit is a one year only (1967). Probably why its $150. Yes, it can be used for 58-67, but its correct for 67. Now 58-66 steering column locks had the words surrounding the key hole; Start - Fahrt...
A column and column tube would be simple to fabricate and make work with the WW unit. Just cut a hole in the tube to allow the lock to engage the column, and weld two pieces of curved steel to the column for the lock stop the column from turning while engaged.

Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Willis wrote:
Damn,$150 for just the lock??? I'm only asking $100 for my complete assembly WITH the key!

Thats a killer deal! I'm surprised you ahven't sold it yet. The complete set up doesn't come along too often. Someone shoud jump on your deal.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I think the locking column was optional in Europe, and not in the US, so it is probably a Euro bug.

it was an option. could be installed on usa. my 60 ragtop was delivered to Berlin,Germany and did not have a column lock.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with my column ignition lock installed, i have a place for my foglight switch. bonus. no new holes in the dash.
'67Vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the older style lock #111 905 851E that has the writing on the key lock face. I'm going to put one in my 67 Vert but I thought I could just replace the key face and mechanism to make it appear as the 67 correct. Am I going in the wrong direction. I've got another colume that I was going to modify to take the steering lock as per Bill May instructions in other posts, but maybe I should buy Allan's lock and column and be way ahead. I still would need to buy the rubber for the column, and where would I find that. Any thoughts.
'67 Sedan (2)
'63 Rag Top
'62 Sedan
'70 Single Cab
'71 Bus
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'67Vert wrote:
I've got the older style lock #111 905 851E that has the writing on the key lock face. I'm going to put one in my 67 Vert but I thought I could just replace the key face and mechanism to make it appear as the 67 correct. Am I going in the wrong direction. I've got another colume that I was going to modify to take the steering lock as per Bill May instructions in other posts, but maybe I should buy Allan's lock and column and be way ahead. I still would need to buy the rubber for the column, and where would I find that. Any thoughts.

You might check with WW as they sell the rubber with thier set up... They might sell it separately.
As far as Allan's set up... thats a good deal. And I think Gabriel has a correct ignition replacement that is for 67 without the words around the key hole. Or he might have the outer stainless ring. If you replaced just that, it would appear as 67. Check the classifieds and send him a msg. He is out of Allen, TX.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: