Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

power locks and windows
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: power locks and windows Reply with quote

I know it's lazy, but has anybody added power door locks and power windows to their Bay window bus? If so, where did you get the kits? I know JC Whitney sells some kits(yeah I know a lot of their stuff is crap).

Thanks
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: power locks and windows Reply with quote

It is wrong to say that "a lot of" JC Whitney stuff is crap. Truth is "most of" JC Whitney stuff is crap. Smile There is an insurance and catalog return store in the town where I live and they have about 5,000 square feet of nothing but JC Whitney returns and damaged goods. Some of the stuff is as good as any other supplier, but I would think a power window or door lock kit would be crappy. Very crappy. I see a lot of these kits in the store and they all look very cheap. I have snagged great deals on heater boxes, flapper boxes, body pieces, and a friend found a new Westfalia canvas for 1/2 price that was identical to the ones I order from BusDepot. I would stay away from any item JC Whitney sells that is available for multiple applications (radios, electronics, wiper kits, electrical motors of any kind, electrical heaters, carpet, floor mats, etc) because it will be crap. But let me know if you get it and send it back so I can keep an eye out for it. Smile Good luck.
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: power locks and windows Reply with quote

I have 69 bus and added power windows to mine the power locks it is tough to find a solenoid strong enough to pull the lock on a bus check auto lock they advertise in all the mags and are priced that way as well the power window kits are non existent go to a junk yard and find a late model jeep cherokee with power windows the rear motor and regulator is all you need take the jeep regulator off and throw it away the motor and the plate it attaches to are what you need now take your bus window regulator out and drill cut or burn off the part where the crank goes you will now need to cut a slightly larger hole in the bus regulator track to accomidate the gear from the jeep motor about 1/3 inch larger tack weld the motor plate to the regulator than bolt the motor on . you will have to cut a 6x9 hole in your door where the handle went and make a plate large enough to cover it up this will be where the motor mounts to with 3 bolts wiring your switches is cake and you will need relays they could be stolen from the jeep ck a jeep wiring diagram the best switch for your existing door panels is out of a 93 or older cavalier as it is the old cave man style one but in a round holder so it covers the hole if your going with auto locks kits they also have switch plates and wiring kits thay also make a kit that is universal but my time spent taking about 30 doors apart in a junk yard was well worth it once you have all of your materials it takes about 1 hour per side good luck I did have some pictures of the procedure but my dog ate them any questions let me know good luck
todd
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: power locks and windows Reply with quote

Thanks, I think I'll hold off for now but it's definitely something I am interested in doing. I used to think power stuff was a silly waste of money, but I've gotten spoiled as I've gotten older.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: power locks and windows Reply with quote

". . . but I've gotten spoiled as I've gotten older."
You certainly have. Why, when I was young, we had to *press the accelerator* to start a cold engine, it was called "setting the choke." You kids these days, fuel injection know-nothings, we had to *roll the window down" to pay a toll, that took work! up to six cranks quick just to pay 25 cents to go across the George Washington Bridge, now? heck, it's one-touch power windows and $7.50 to go across. You don't know how easy you have it, you and your automatic trunk-opening fobs, we had fiddle with these things called "trunk keys" in the pouring rain, even if it was chilly, man, it was tough.
But then, so were we.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: power locks and windows Reply with quote

In my day we had to employ a dozen people to push my car around so I could take it for a drive.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: power locks and windows Reply with quote

I've got plenty of room to talk- my first car was a 1975 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 with a rusty gas tank and bad brakes (Land Cruisers have two non self-adjusting wheel cylinders per wheel) Smile I've rebuilt a carb on the side of the highway, I've repacked front wheel bearings in the middle of winter, etc. Setting the choke? I had a throttle on the dash. Ever spent your winter driving around with a leaky soft top? I've still got a 1980 FJ40. Like VWs, they didn't make a whole lot of changes over the years.

I admit it, I really have come to like the power windows on my pickup though. That and seats with actual padding, not matted horsehair that smells for weeks after the wet dog sits on it after playing in the lake. It's all good though!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: