Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Bus grafted onto top of school bus?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragemanchoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: VW Bus grafted onto top of school bus? Reply with quote

Anybody ever seen these? I've seen a couple in pictures and they look like the horizontal cut was made just above the floorline of the Bus. I've always wondered if people could go up INTO the VW like an observation deck or if it was just to add headroom to the school bus base itself. Anybody seen these things?
mandysbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

repost SEE; abortions,smokin too much dope,really good acid threads
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen them. Then I avert my eyes. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think of when many of these were done... old splitties were plentiful and you could get them for 50 or 100 bucks.

I would say way more perfectly good restorable buses went to the crusher from lack of interest in the late 60's and early mid 70's or even later.

It was not until they re gained popularity ( and started getting snapped up by the Japanese etc) and finally became "sought after" and considered a classic and rare that people started to bitch and moan about them being cut up ( in some cases decades earlier) and used for such things.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been in one (yea I am a Dead Head....) They seem to usually have another bed up there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sprkplg08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's one i saw last week
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SaltyDaBusMan21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a bay, who gives a crap.... Laughing

Word slut.
Ragemanchoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:
It was not until they re gained popularity (and started getting snapped up by the Japanese etc) and finally became "sought after" and considered a classic and rare that people started to bitch and moan about them being cut up ( in some cases decades earlier) and used for such things.

You make a great point. Why does Japan love VW Buses? Is there a specific reason? Is it just a general Western-philia thing (i.e. a lot of them give their kids American names these days, etc.)?

Sprkplg08 -- Yeah that's what I am talking about Very Happy With that example, though, they horizontally cut the Bus quite high on the body -- looks like about 5" below the windows. If people are sitting up there as an observation deck, they're sitting cross-legged on the floor.

Is that a propane stove pipe? Is a retired school bus with the seats removed and RV amenities installed an economic way to do the RV thing? I know you can get them custom-built from factories but RVs the size of a standard school bus start at at least $50,000.
blarneyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragemanchoo wrote:
Is that a propane stove pipe? Is a retired school bus with the seats removed and RV amenities installed an economic way to do the RV thing? I know you can get them custom-built from factories but RVs the size of a standard school bus start at at least $50,000.

I have seen a couple very well done Greyhound retros. One of the owners told me he picked up the bus for $5000 and ended up putting $25000 into it, and that's doing most of the work himself. On the inside, it was one of the nicest motorhomes I've ever seen. He finished it like an old time yacht with a lot of teak and brass. On the outside, you could still tell it was a commercial bus, even with some of the windows paneled over and a nice paint job.
sprkplg08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaltyDaBusMan21 wrote:
Its a bay, who gives a crap.... Laughing

funny thing about that comment is they were saying the same thing in the 70's as they cut up 21 or 23 window busses... "its just a vw bus.. who give a crap"
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a splittie mounted like that on top of a bus located east of Eugene off hwy 58. I've never seen it on the road, but you can just barely see it from the hwy.
Ragemanchoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's a splittie mounted like that on top of a bus located east of Eugene off hwy 58. I've never seen it on the road, but you can just barely see it from the hwy.

Would that be in Springfield, or further east?

I could swear I've seen one in Eugene, a few years back. Either that or it was a bus with a Beetle cab on the roof. I think it was the latter, actually. Hmmm

$5000 for the donor bus and $25,000 in the conversion, you're still coming out way ahead. I've seen a couple converted non-school bus buses like that. Does anybody ever put a small woodstove in them as opposed to a propane stove? I know they make woodstoves small enough (i.e. their volume being slightly larger than that of your computer's tower), I've seen them in houses.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragemanchoo wrote:
Quote:

I could swear I've seen one in Eugene, a few years back. Either that or it was a bus with a Beetle cab on the roof. I think it was the latter, actually. Hmmm

$5000 for the donor bus and $25,000 in the conversion, you're still coming out way ahead. I've seen a couple converted non-school bus buses like that. Does anybody ever put a small woodstove in them as opposed to a propane stove? I know they make woodstoves small enough (i.e. their volume being slightly larger than that of your computer's tower), I've seen them in houses.
You can get an older conversion for not too much money. I've been looking at one down in San Diego, but have decided to pass on it for right now. Here's the marketplace for them:
http://www.sellabus.com/
In fact, here's a pretty nice older Flxble for $16,500 that was just posted a couple days ago:
http://www.sellabus.com/duncan.html

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1977, in California, I saw a VW bug grafted on top of a VW bus.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Ma'ili Pt Westy
Samba Member

Location: Woodside, California (located in Northern California)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing a baywindow grafted onto the top of an old hippie bus. I seen this somewhere in Oregon while on one of my road trips.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragemanchoo wrote:
Quote:

Further east, up along hwy 58 near the lake.
Ragemanchoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can get an older conversion for not too much money. I've been looking at one down in San Diego, but have decided to pass on it for right now. Here's the marketplace for them:
http://www.sellabus.com/
In fact, here's a pretty nice older Flxble for $16,500 that was just posted a couple days ago:
http://www.sellabus.com/duncan.html

That's really well done! Very Happy That's a former Grayhound bus, right?

Blarneyman - But yeah, the more I think about it the more I'm betting it was a VW Beetle cab on the top of a schoolbus I saw in Eugene a couple years back. It wasn't a full-length school bus.

Question: In terms of height, how much of a VW Bus cab could be grafted onto the top of a bus? Enough so people could sit inside the Bus cab like an observation deck? (i.e. the VW Bus retaining its floor, with a hole in it that people would use for access via a ladder)
Zed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ragemanchoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed -- EXACTLY! That's exactly what I was thinking of. Know anything about the bus in the photo?

I would have put the VW on a longer bus base to make the bus more stable, but whatever. Do think it'd be unstable on a bus that short?
joe h.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a couple of them that would show up at the Bug-in at SIR about 15 years ago. One had a 21 window glued to the top of it. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: