Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

pop-top ?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: pop-top ? Reply with quote

how difficult is it to convert a non pop-top into a pop-top?

thanks
Evan
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: pop-top ? Reply with quote

I think that its harder than it sounds. There is a lot more structural rigidity built into the roof of a Westy or any other camp model bus. Its not as simple as just cutting a hole and bolting on a pop-top. Im sure its been done but it might be easier just to buy a camper to begin with.

Good Luck
Jasan
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: pop-top ? Reply with quote

thats what i figured. thankyou
Evan
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: pop-top ? Reply with quote

There was a thread on westfalia.org about this. It's been done by a couple of people over there, but it required a fair amount of work and cash.

Short of a syncro, I don't think I would try it. The reason I say that is you can pick up a good used non-Westy Syncro relatively cheap, but the Westy Syncros are $$$$$. Bay Westy's are fairly easy to find (I've got a stripped but complete '77 Westy you can have cheap if you come get it) and for around $2000 you can have a body shop rework it.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: pop-top ? Reply with quote

I have a free pop top for you with all hardware, if you are near san diego, come and get it. Conversion is not hard.

Jeff
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: pop-top ? Reply with quote

I had an ASI conversion for a parts bus once, and it looked like they merely cut the hole in the roof, between the cross beams. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: pop-top ? Reply with quote

thanks for the offer jeff but i am in philadelphia, pa.

Evan
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: pop-top ? Reply with quote

jeremy

did it look safe or genuine? I dont mind cutting the roof obviously, i am just not sure if it is legitimate or not???

Thanks
Evan
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: pop-top ? Reply with quote

can you maybe weld supports to the members that will be cut?

Evan
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: pop-top ? Reply with quote

Lemme tell you the easiest way to do it....I have for sale a complete pop top assembly from a '74 Westy for sale right now. It isn't diasassembled from the Bus, I cut the roof off with it. It is complete with bed, canavs,and the entire roof section. I was parting out a Bus and rather than waste time unbolting the whole thing, since I already ahd the windows out, I ran my sawzall right through the pillars and took the top off whole. All supports are still intact as is everything else except the lower half of the Bus. Let me know if anyone is interested....The bunk material is orange plaid as well as the canvas which would probably need to be replaced anyway. [email protected]
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: pop-top ? Reply with quote

where are you located vwloverz? i am interested if you are near pa?

Thankyou
Evan
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: pop-top ? Reply with quote

I'm in Syracuse....what part of PA are you in? Email [email protected]'s complete and ready to go.
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: pop-top ? Reply with quote

I'd be carefull of doing a conversion. Take a beer can and crush it.Now cut a square out of the side and crush that,(a soda can will work too)get the picture. DavidK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deluxvwboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: pop-top ? Reply with quote

This is the best (and safest) way to do it!

http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: