Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia Experience (or any bay bus)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Westfalia Experience (or any bay bus) Reply with quote

Dont worry, that top board is like 1" plywood. Just had mine out to put in new headliner and it is strong. Unless you have some rot in the wood it should be fine. It is also well supported around the edges.
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Westfalia Experience (or any bay bus) Reply with quote

I was a diehard split fan until I decided to move from Florida to Portland. Reduction boxes and swingaxle gearing just didn't seem like fun for a trip that far. I bought a 69'Stationwagon from original owners and loaded up my shiat and rolled. I have to say, I really do like early bays. As far as campers and ammenities, the later bays are far superior inside. My lady wants one of the monkey shiat geen with the plaid interior. I am torn between the fat chick ribbing I'd get from my buddies or the comfy plush covenience of a later bay FI-2L with gas heater, good power, and 70+ cruisin. Anyway, I think alot of folks are scared of the pancake motors because they just aren't familiar with them. They rip off the fuel injection because it's expensive and they don't understand it. Thats as stupid as removing the cooling flaps and thermostat on the uprights. If VW didn't think it was necessary, believe me, it wouldn't have spent the dough to put it into production. Also, the carbs folks put on these motors were never designed for these engines. Just like Berg said, a carb will run anything... I haven't much experience with the pancakes, but I do know they are far superior mechanically, but not so much in character and looks.
grimlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Westfalia Experience (or any bay bus) Reply with quote

hey awesome thanks jasan and jeremy, you guys rock !! thanks for thte info now all i have to godois size one up around my home as see what i can do thanks for all the advise and info, ya'll take it easy bros
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Westfalia Experience (or any bay bus) Reply with quote

had a bug: the top bunk is pretty sturdy "as is", but you can feel it flex some if you are in the middle and "playing around". I wouldn't worry too much. You could definitely replace it if you were worried (you could even weld up a metal frame and put a thin sheet of Luan on top then the mattress if you were worried).

You could just sleep in the bottom bed, it's a lot easier to get into anyways.

Westy78- what did you use for a headliner? I've been looking at my options as I need to do the same thing.
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Westfalia Experience (or any bay bus) Reply with quote

i've had lots of buses, 68 westy, 78 westy champagne automatic, 77 westy, vanagon westy, my favorite is the 76-79 westy with the stove good useable features and still has the bus feel, also look at the high top campers i've seen one with bunks up top - the whole family could sleep while you drive (is that safe?) don't fear the vanagons either - the snobs will shun them - i've also seen a 71 retrofitted with late model westy stuff, poptop and all.
good luck!!
its all good anyway you go!
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Westfalia Experience (or any bay bus) Reply with quote

rpowell

I used a vinyl "kit" from GoWesty. http://www.gowesty.com/Merchant2/merchant.php?Scre...headliners

It is a pretty good match to the original except it is a little lighter in color. It is also thicker than original so it's a bit tight getting it to fit back in the rails in some places. Its basically just vinyl cut to size for the four thin rear panels, under the top bunk board, and for the panel over the front seats. I did make the mistake of not heating the folds(it comes folded in a smaller box) before I glued so you can see the wrinkles. Hopefully the summer heat will smooth them out somewhat. Overall it looks great once everything is put back together.

Jasan
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Westfalia Experience (or any bay bus) Reply with quote

When we redid the 77, I got an old birch headliner out of a westy at the pick-your-part, sanded all the old finish off, and gave it a couple of coats of clearcoat. Looked great! Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: