Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First Ghia!!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJMarkham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

After a VERY LONG hiatus, the Ghia is back on as an active project...too many other things that were priority.

Start doing more digging and have found that the driver door is the only piece of the body that is not original, but I have a replacement already.

Decided to go ahead and replace the pans so that they are 100%- was able to acquire a nice danish set from a good local friend, as well as a few other parts.

sourced a replacement transmission to go back to a split case.

also looked at the engine cases that I have and am trying to figure out which to look into having lined bored and to rebuild. case numbers are: 197187, 1430972, 2231033. the 197... case has a stamp that i can't quite make out but it seems to read "Factory" with something else under it...

want to get as close to original as I can, but I may only be able to get so close...

thanks

WANTED: Original 58 Ghia Dash Knob
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

MJMarkham wrote:
After a VERY LONG hiatus, the Ghia is back on as an active project...too many other things that were priority.

Start doing more digging and have found that the driver door is the only piece of the body that is not original, but I have a replacement already.

Decided to go ahead and replace the pans so that they are 100%- was able to acquire a nice danish set from a good local friend, as well as a few other parts.

sourced a replacement transmission to go back to a split case.

also looked at the engine cases that I have and am trying to figure out which to look into having lined bored and to rebuild. case numbers are: 197187, 1430972, 2231033. the 197... case has a stamp that i can't quite make out but it seems to read "Factory" with something else under it...

want to get as close to original as I can, but I may only be able to get so close...

thanks

That's good news...the upside is during the hiatus the value of your '58 has risen...the downside, parts aren't so cheap...upside, more Lowlight body panels are being reproduced...downside Lowlight original body parts not so easy to find...upside...OK you get the picture. Wink

Welcome back! Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MJMarkham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

Thanks John! yes, I have been doing some research and prices have certainly changed.

Good news, I did purchase a lowlight body that was used as a race car that was solid minus firewalls and engine compartment metal. I dismembered it at the factor cut lines and it will be stored away as my "insurance policy" for the future.

I have been looking at other threads and I am really happy with the place that I am starting from, as some I see have been hit harder by time. once I start going panel by panel and taking it down to bare metal things may change here and there, but I am optimistic about what Ill find.

The plan is still to go back as close to original as I can with the car, so I'm sure it won't be the cheapest project to source the interior components that will achieve that. I have found a whole lot of pictures of original Cognac 58's to use as reference. there are some but not as detailed as I would like...

lots to do and lots of research ahead...

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

MJMarkham wrote:
I have found a whole lot of pictures of original Cognac 58's to use as reference. there are some but not as detailed as I would like...

I'm guessing you've already found Pascal's ("Panelvan") beautiful original '58 Cognac:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=15785

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6728498#6728498

I'm sure he'll be on hand to supply any pictures you want.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MJMarkham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

I ordered a birth cert for the Ghia, hopefully it will arrive as quickly as a friends 55 cert...

I am going to have to jump a few hurdles with the state of Texas to get them to correct the year of the car as it was titled and registered in California for some reason as a 63.

VIN = 1736926
body number = 26415

DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

Cool Ghia! Congrats!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJMarkham wrote:
I am very optimistic that the car wont be that hard to get on the road.

Quote from 2008 - lol
MJMarkham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
MJMarkham wrote:
I am very optimistic that the car wont be that hard to get on the road.

Quote from 2008 - lol

yep, still optimistic, but sprinkled with reality...

MJMarkham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

After more time sitting on the inactive list... the Ghia project is back.

We have relocated to the Denver area now and i have access to things i didn't before.

Im hoping that in the next week or so it will get blasted so I can see whats under the old yellow paint. Im sure there will be some surprises, but I fortunately have replacement panels for everything.

hoping that there are some other lowlight guys up here...

pics to come soon.

JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

I saw this for the first time, very cool that you're back at it and in Colorado.
I'm not too far from you, and just had my (new to me) lowlight blasted to bare, and working on as we speak.
If you are going to blast it, use Blast-tech; Santa Fe and Kalamath.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MJMarkham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

JonL wrote:
I saw this for the first time, very cool that you're back at it and in Colorado.
I'm not too far from you, and just had my (new to me) lowlight blasted to bare, and working on as we speak.

I have started working part time for a shop near Elizabeth and we have a dustless blasting setup, so I'll be doing it myself.

would love to meet up and check out your project... meeting folks is on the priority list.

Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

Great car!
Good luck on your rebuild!
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

MJMarkham wrote:
JonL wrote:

I have started working part time for a shop near Elizabeth and we have a dustless blasting setup, so I'll be doing it myself.

would love to meet up and check out your project... meeting folks is on the priority list.

very cool-
Yes, we should. I'm in Parker all the time- Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MJMarkham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

so FINALLY got the Ghia in the shop to start the metal work that needs to be done... hopefully it'll be ready for paint and body in about 3 weeks...

MJMarkham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

this project is going back as close to factory as possible, so im wondering, who makes the best complete wiring harness that actually close to correct?

there is QUITE a bit more damage that was under A LOT of body filler... this car had a run in down the left side that was NOT kind. it didn't tear the metal, but put a nice crease down the side. the left front took the brunt of it as you can see in the previous post. I acquired a complete body back when we were in Texas and have all the replacement panels that I plan to replace at the factory seams.

its gonna be fun.

MJMarkham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

the pans just weren't salvageable... removed the old ones and started fitting the replacement. would love to have the pans without the arches in the stamping but this is what was available...

TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

Now that is starting to smell like fresh metal Very Happy

For the pan: I think the one from thailand or from Klassic FAB are way better but more expensive Embarassed Wink they weren‘t available when I did mine Sad

Cheers

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
MJMarkham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

TRS63 wrote:

For the pan: I think the one from thailand or from Klassic FAB are way better but more expensive Embarassed Wink they weren‘t available when I did mine Sad

Cheers

Antoine

the more I think on it, im gonna call Klassic Fab tomorrow and see what their turn time is and what shipping will be on their pans... this car needs to be more correct and I don't want to regret having parts that are welded in that I know are not right from the start...

Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

MJMarkham wrote:
TRS63 wrote:

Cheers

Antoine

the more I think on it, im gonna call Klassic Fab tomorrow and see what their turn time is and what shipping will be on their pans... this car needs to be more correct and I don't want to regret having parts that are welded in that I know are not right from the start...
I have not ordered pans for my 59 because they are not the right pressing in to the pan
61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MJMarkham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: First Ghia!!!! Reply with quote

Deluxe Lowlight Ghia wrote:
MJMarkham wrote:
TRS63 wrote:

Cheers

Antoine

I have not ordered pans for my 59 because they are not the right pressing in to the pan

I am finding that pans are not available. unless someone has a set they would part with. I reached out to Klassic Fab and they don't have stock and will not be making more until sometime next year... that sucks... the arch in the stamping bugs the hell out of me but I may have no option...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: