Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

organic brake pads?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: organic brake pads? Reply with quote

i just bid on some brake pads on e-bay( for five bucks for a front set) and then i realized they are organic. since i know nothing about orgaic brake pads i decided to look up some info. what i read is stuff like "they are easier on your rotors, but they dont last as long" and " make sure it is safe to use them on your car before purchasing" well i am stuck purchasing them and i figure since they are made for my car( 73 bus) they must be safe.
my questions, are they safe? do they have less stopping power than the semi-metalic and mettalic? and what are they made of?
thanks for any and all comments that wont get me killed
lc
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: organic brake pads? Reply with quote

yeah what gives with these pads? The last two times that I have bought brake pads, it's been the organic kind.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: organic brake pads? Reply with quote

Basically, organic means there is no metal in them. There are three common types of pads- organic, semi-metallic, and metalic.

Organic, as mention, has no metal. They are softer and create less wear on your rotors/ drums, but they wear faster, don't disipate heat as well, and don't stop as well.

Metallic is at the other end of the spectrum. They have metal in the pads- they disipate heat better, have less brake fade, and last much longer. They also eat up your rotors/drums faster, cost more, and are more likely to squeal.

Semi-metallic is a compromise between the two.

Personally, I use semi-metallics. I am not driving them hard and want my rotors to last longer (rotors for my Land Cruiser are very expensive each).
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: organic brake pads? Reply with quote

I don't just want organic brake pads, I want my brake pads to be organic, free-range, dolphin safe and cruelty free.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: organic brake pads? Reply with quote

the other down side to organic pads is mmore heat and more dust if you got fly rims keeping them clean is going to be a behotch otherwise stopping ability and wear length is affected they should last about 15k 9 if you drive lke an old women and metallics will last alot longer like 25k but noisy used mainly for big ass trucks and fleets semi is the way to go there also is a titanium pad out there that has a little bit of titanium in them and last pretty good 1/ as dusty noisy when wet if price is your only concern when braking go with the organic
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: