Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

factory A/C
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
travisstephens77@hotmail.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: factory A/C Reply with quote

I just purchased a 75 westy and it has the under dash a/c and all of the components EXCEPT the compressor on the engine. The original engine was replaced with a 2000cc and I guess the A/C was never an issue or whatever. My question is, how much money and work would it take to get it working?(compressor cost?); or how much could I get if I sold the whole set-up?
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: factory A/C Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the availability of aftermarket or conversion kits for these, but I have seen several custom jobs that look and work well. I think the original York compressors are still available for the busses, but all the non-original conversions I have seen used the later Vanagon compressor by Sanden. The Sanden is suppose to rob less power from the engine. There is a pulley that goes on the crankshaft behind the fan that you will need to acquire, but most of the brackets I have seen were custom built. The bracket is not that complicated, but it obviously needs to be sturdy. I would think any shop that is familiar with retro fitting AC systems to older cars could do this job without a lot of trouble. Check out the type2.com website for some articles by a guy in Texas that put AC on his bus. They are very informative and detailed. Good luck.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: factory A/C Reply with quote

Here's a guy who sells parts, complete kits and conversions:

http://www.europeancoolerair.com/nonac01.htm

You're going to want new hoses in addition to the compressor. You're also going to want to change over from the original freon. All in all, a lot's changed in 30 years and there are definately better ways of doing things with the modern systems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: factory A/C Reply with quote

I think I found a better place: Gilmore Enterprises in Florida also is developing a kit (or he can re-work the original bus under dash unit for you). Cheaper and all the reviews I've seen are very good concerning his stuff:

http://www.gilmore-enterprises.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: