Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck rotor
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Stuck rotor Reply with quote

I'm in the process of upgrading the front brakes on my '87 Syncro. I cannot get the rotor off. I've had Kron on it for several hours. I've banged on it a good deal. Now I have a large gear puller on it tightened about as tight I can get it. It hasn't budged. I should mention that this van set out without running for around three years before I bought it. When I picked it up the front tires were sunk into the mud up to the axles. That said, I've put a couple thousand miles on it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking of trying a sledge hammer to see if I can brake the rotor off but I'd really like to avoid that.

thanks,
r
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat mixed with banging. The big problem is the rotor will shatter if you hit it too hard or just right. A puller would be cool, but I think it would have to be some kind of hydraulic one. Perhaps you could get a hydraulic jack in there to help out pushing while you heat and bang.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rs4-380
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through the same battle and actually cracked one of the rotors before it came off.

Lots of penetrant, heat, a puller and a hammer eventually got them off.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you do get it removed, use some anti-sieze on the contact points to prevent it from happening again.

I've used anti-sieze on the threads of the exhaust bolts (again, once removed), and I have been able to remove them several times after without any problems.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
rowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the rotor off. The puller and time for the penetration oil to work did the trick. Of course, I also used a good deal of heat and beating on the thing. I took a long - maybe an hour - break, went out and tightened the puller and it moved a bit and then as I keep tightening it came off. Hopefully the weather will good tomorrow and I'll finish the brake upgrade.

thanks to all,
r
bmwmango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing happened to me. I got one off by wedging a pickle fork behind it. The other side did not have the same results as the hub came off still attached to the rotor. I had to get it pressed out. I cleaned up the edge of the hub with a wire wheel and painted it with POR-15.
Looking back, I think I could have broke it free by loosening up the front lug nuts a little then driving forward and jamming on the brakes a few times.
1986 BMW K75 Parts (Deer 1, Beemer 0)
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where should the heat be directed? I'm having a helluva a time getting it off. Took me several hours and MAP/Oxygen combo to get the axle nuts off. So much so that I ran out of oxygen.
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cold Steel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just ordered cals and rotors today. I havent started taking these off yet Shocked
The rear brakes were tough. Plenty of heat.
I have to look at bently to figure how to get cals off it.
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much beating, heat, and trying to use a puller to no avail I finally got one off today. I took the whole front knuckle assembly off. Supported underneath the rotor with 2 bricks and hit the heck out of the hub with a engineer's hammer (bigger than a hammer, smaller than a sledge).

Going to pull the passenger side off now and do the same. I needed to take axle out anyways to replace CV boots, add grease, etc.

Should new rotors be machined or are they good to go as they come?
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: