Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 sundial camper engine swap
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: 69 sundial camper engine swap Reply with quote

I just bought a 69 sundial camper that blew an engine on the 400 mile trip to take it home. I am picking it up this weekend and towing it the rest of the way. What is my best bet, as far as engines are concerned, to put into my 69 sundial camper. I know very little about VW engines so please let m know what the benifits of the different sizes and what complications that I might run into putting in any of the different engine sizes. I also looked in HOTVW magazine and saw a lot about longblocks and not so much on the upright motors. Please let me know as much as possible.
Thanks
CHarlie
lowdowndub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: 69 sundial camper engine swap Reply with quote

I would go with an upright motor. It will allow for many different displacement sizes. Also, there alot easier to work on. Obviously the bigger the motor the more the cost. I'm not sure what you mean by "longblock". The other style of aircooled VW motors are called pancake motors and those won't fit in your 69 without modification.
I hope this help a little. I'm sure someone else will know more.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: 69 sundial camper engine swap Reply with quote

You probably want to go for a Type 1 (upright) engine. Stock configuration is 1600cc (1.6L). Many people go for a slightly larger displacement like the 1776cc to help push along a bus.
A "longblock" can be purchased in many configurations. It is an engine without the intake and ignition systems. These can most likely be reused from your current engine.
If your engine is still free turning (turn with a large wrench on the generator pulley) it might be cheaper to use this as the core for a rebuild.
If you posses fundamental mechanical skills and have a set of metric tools, you might try your hand at rebuilding your motor on your own. Check out Tom Wilson's rebuild book (under $20.00 from amazon.com).
If you do decide to purchase a new engine, be sure to buy from an established builder who will provide a warranty. Most people will also tell you to stay as far away from GEX as possible. I agree.

Good Luck!
Jay Brown
'72 Hardtop Camper
http://www.geocities.com/vwcamper72
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: 69 sundial camper engine swap Reply with quote

The original motor that came with your Bus would be a great motor for it: single port 1600. Keep it bone stock for simplicity and ease of operation. 1776's tend to run a bit hot in Busses, especially a heavy camper. Ask me how I know. You can buy new long blocks, which is the motor from valve cover to valve cover minus all the ancillary equipment, for about 1200-1400 bucks. Make sure your new motor has the dilled and tapped bosses on the case for your rear support bar or you have to use a shitty adapter if you decide to go with a bug only motor. Find some engine brokers or ask around on here who peoople have had good results with. You sound a bit green to vw's so do you self a favor and keep it stock until you know the fundamentals. If you want to go faster, you can always bolt some dual carbs on later. My 2cents
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: 69 sundial camper engine swap Reply with quote

I would just buy a new Mexican dualport longblock from Busdepot or Ronnie's. Since it is out, I would use this opportunity to switch over to a doghouse oil cooler, which means you also will need some other used tinware stuff to make it so.

I wouldn't f*ck with building an engine when there are perfectly good ones available so inexpensively currently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: