Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front heater core spitting fluid onto floor!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick9871
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Front heater core spitting fluid onto floor! Reply with quote

Almost done with the 82 Westy bostig conversion. Engine was running and I turned on the heater and it spit coolant onto the floor. It is not leaking on the hose side. I installed the heater core into the heater core housing, maybe I missed a step? Are you supposed to seal the heater core housing? I figured the metal heater core would be self sealed and shouldn't leak coolant (like a radiator)...

On another note. Are the heater cores directional? In other words is there a send and return line or does it matter? Perhaps I switched the hoses around?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heater core could be laying on the floor with the hoses connected and should not leak coolant. It sounds like it was a new core. I hate to say this, but you may need to pull it back out and pressure test it. If you go that route, a 5 gallon bucket some water and regulated compressed air. Cap the one end and blow regulated down compressed air say 30psi holding the core under water. No bubbles should be present. To the flow, I don't think that would contribute to a leak and most likely there is a correct direction, but should not affect the heating of it. Ideally the heater valve should be on pressure/inlet side. I know nothing of the Subaru cooling system to help beyond that. Sorry you are having problems.
nick9871
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks rsxsr!

Actually it looks like it WAS leaking from a connecting hose. So i tightened that up and lets see how it goes. I think it was leaking and then when I turned on the blower to high it just blew the little bit of coolant that was sitting there all over the place ha ha. Hopefully the unit is internally sealed well. or off comes the dash Crying or Very sad
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great if it was just a loose clamp. mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: