Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Backfiring
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pogel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Backfiring Reply with quote

My bus had an enormous backfire then stopped. If I restart when cold it starts up and turns over ok. Then in starts to stall, has a large backfire then stops. The spark plugs were black and I have cleaned them. I also changed the inline fuel filter, but it does the dame thing. The distibutor is new. It has dual solex brosol carbs which I think are 34s. The engine is 1641 on a 1500.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65Busstop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check timing?
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backfiring out muffler or carb ?
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
caseyjones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe old gas being burned?
Pogel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: backfiring Reply with quote

The muffler is smoking and then the flame can be seen coming out it when it backfires. Gas is not old. I always use Shell 93 octane. I've got to wait till a friend comes over Saturday to check the timing, compression etc. A couple of people have thought maybe the float in the carb is sticking.
ekimikem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it running fine before the first backfire incident?
Utiledulci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busstop hit it on the head...timing is the first thing to check. A timing lite is cheap enough to buy at Autozone, anyone with a vintage car should have one of these along with a good fire extiguisher. Next thing I would check are the carbs to make sure they are configured/jetted/tuned the same way. This will cause it to run rough too.
65Busstop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the compression on a VW engine is high enough to run that high of octane. You might research that as I am not positive on it. If you have Muirs idiot guide it tells you how to make a static timing light for near nothing.
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the distributor "loose", sometimes the clamp/bracket can be loose that holds the distributor in place and the distributor will pop up and loose it's physical connection with the driveshaft and cause problems similar to this. If the distributor has been changed recently and now you are having troubles, that would be one of the first things I'd check out, 2nd being the carbs to inspect for plugged jets, incorrect/stuck float level, etc. Good Luck.
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As these guys said, double check the timing. Sometimes if the advance mechanism is fouled up, the timing will look good, but it won't be. Dynamic timing with a light is the only way to eyeball the advance.
Hope that helps.
Alaskan Adventurer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it have points or electronic ing? Mine was doing the same thing at BB last nov. I discovered the electrionic modular was loose under the dist. cap.. Also has it been sitting long? The carbs could be gummed up/ Pluged jets... Kevin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pogel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: backfiring Reply with quote

I checked the distributor and it was not loose.

It has points.

I recently had to change a brake drum. When I jacked it up it tilted over at quite an angle (bus is drastically lowered). A friend said the oil could have sloshed over and into the heads. He thinks I should run the engine to burn off the oil.
Alaskan Adventurer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Maybe cracked dist cap or rotor? Jacking up the bus did not do it,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black plugs = way too rich. See if the choke is opening and make sure the float and all that fuel pump pressure stuff has been checked.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: backfiring Reply with quote

Pogel wrote:
I checked the distributor and it was not loose.

It has points.
When I jacked it up it tilted over at quite an angle (bus is drastically lowered). A friend said the oil could have sloshed over and into the heads. He thinks I should run the engine to burn off the oil.

at high rpms the drivers side valve cover can fill with oil... your ignition is retarded - firing too late. do you have an original distributor clamp? check your rotor-the wire between center and tip is resistor wire and could be going bad(it is under epoxy) what is condition of cap? which distributor is in it? do you use 87 octane fuel?

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the distributor was replaced, did you hook up the wire from the distributor to the negative/correct side of the coil? I remember years ago a friend who hooked up the distributor and ignition "hot" backwards on the coil and the vw ran for a short while before backfiring and running like crap and then eventually catching his wiring on fire in the engine compartment, it was a mess. Good Luck, hope you get it figured out. I'd look into the last things you messed with for the problem, distributor first and then onto the carbs.
Pogel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Backfiring Reply with quote

Ok I've checked a few things. It is a pointless dizzie. I hve it running and not backfiring when the timing is 10BTDC. If I back it to TDC or ATDC it backfires. It is 1641cc on an H block with no vacuum advance and the dual carbs, blue coil. Is BTDC correct? I have yet to road test it.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post up the distributor number and Glenn might pipe up; he's the distributor guru. My guesses have been off lately but I'm thinking 7.5 to 10 degrees static before.
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all timing i know of is supposed to be some amount before tdc or btdc also you most likely depending upon compression are making your motor run hot with 93 octane
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
Culito

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a 009, you want to time at full advance. 30degrees, I think.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: