Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 engine problems
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: 69 engine problems Reply with quote

Hello I have a 69 sundial camper that broke down on me. I was driving the bus at about 65 when all of the sudden the bus died for lack of a better word. When I got into the engine compartment I found that there was oil all over. It seems to me that most of the oil is on the outer backside housing for th oil cooler and fan. If you have any idea where to start looking at this problem please let me know.
CHarlie
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: 69 engine problems Reply with quote

Maybe your cooler split and you ran the motor without oil pressure. Does the dash oil pressure light work?, did it come on?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: 69 engine problems Reply with quote

yes it did come on and the car will not start but it does turn over. If it is the cooler then i must pull the engine and take off the large black cover, correct?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: 69 engine problems Reply with quote

At first I had thought that my engine was blown you make it sound like that may not be it, is that true
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: 69 engine problems Reply with quote

For crancase oil to be spun all over the back of the motor, it leads me to thinks it's the coller or cooler seals. I'm assuming you have a doghouse shroud? I'm not tryin to scare ya, but it doesn't sound like it's gonna be as easy as replacing the cooler. Last time my bus "died" I was on a trip and broke down outside of Evansville,IN. My bus was runnin super hot, seemed really sluggish. I stopped, couldn't even touch the dipstick(BAD), oil was every where (BAD), and right then and there I pulled the drain plug to get the oil out of the case and it was literally sizzling and warped my oil pan. (BAD) Anyway, yeah you gotta pull the motor. Before you get too involved, see if you can turn the engine over by hand. If you can, that's good so far. Pull the plugs and look for oil (especially #3). Drain the oil into a clean pan and look for goldish flakes in the oil. Sometimes it looks like fine glitter. Are they there? That's your rod bearings. Clean oil with no flakes? good. If all is good so far, pull the motor, pull the shroud, check the cooler etc. Pulley belt slippin? Points burnt or not gapped? Timing too advanced? Static for a 009 should be about 6 to 8 BTDC. I am sending a good prayer your way man, I hope it is in your favor...
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: 69 engine problems Reply with quote

Oh yeah, pull the valve covers and look to see if you might have dropped a valve. It'll be apparent, you can pull the rockers to see if all the retainers and valve stems are all the same height.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: