Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dimensions for canvas
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Dimensions for canvas Reply with quote

Hoping that someone may know the dimensions for the canvas tops of a 78 type 2 campmobile. If you do not, any ideas on where i may find them?? Has anyone made their own top before??Thanks
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Dimensions for canvas Reply with quote

You have the old one with the rips in it, you could take a seam ripper to it, and make a pattern, while learning how its put together. We worked on changing the screens and zippers out of one, and they are really well made, and more complex that they seem at a glance. You will need a heavy duty sewing machine, a home one will not be able to get through enough layers of canvas to do the job. We rented a smaller one for a week, but even it couldn't handle some of the corners where there were lots of layers, but we were able to get those parts done at the shop where we rented the machine for free. I was going to make a pattern from the old tent, but my better half disposed of it before I told her that! Like I said, they are a bit more complex than they first seem to be, so take lots of pictures, draw diagrams and make DETAILED notes as to how the seams are done, as you unravel the ripped one you have for a pattern. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Dimensions for canvas Reply with quote

So there is no place would would just have dimensions so i could build the tent with the other still on!
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Dimensions for canvas Reply with quote

Not that I have seen in over two years of paying attention.If you wanted, new canvases run about $350 US, and they take an afternoon to change. It's cold in Utah now anyways, isn't it? Perfect opportunity to take out the canvas (leaving the top on, and get started so you can rebuild in time for the spring!) Good luck, Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Dimensions for canvas Reply with quote

My wife says it is imperative that you pay attention to where the holes are at the bottom edge of the canvas are, where the canvas is attached to the body roof. The top edge of the tent is rolled, and stapled into the wood in the fibreglass roof. There are links posted in older threads about how to go about installing a new canvas that are excellent. Jeremy
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Dimensions for canvas Reply with quote

I got my new canvas at the busdepot.com. I could not be happier. The quality is great, and I only paid $219 shipped to my door. Great price, great quality, if you dont want original. I thought originally about sewing my own, but for $219 you cant pass up a great top, with great fitting, and you dont have to sew it. If you do decide to make your own, good luck, and take notes so we all can use in the future.
matt
payton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Dimensions for canvas Reply with quote

i only use by 70 for camping twice a year or so. south florida is very hot. i wasnt to picky so went to home depot and got fiberglass screening. it aint pretty but it works. plus nobody knows til i pop the top.
pogolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Dimensions for canvas Reply with quote

Here's a fella that made his own template. Dunno if it will work for your model bus, but I'm sure you could learn something:

http://www.aircoolers.org/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?s=3e79d983440cffff;act=ST;f=7;t=112;st=20
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: