Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! Insurance wants to total my 87 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, if you can't get the insurance adjuster to agree on the value, ask for an independant appraisal. There ARE people who can do that and give a fair value.
xlr8r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margalo13 wrote:
xlr8r wrote:
Let me say that it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

I hope we will get to see the end result and how it was handled.

Good luck!

I will definitely post the end result--hope it's sooner rather than later. Thank you for the replies, especially MightyArt's Wife and xlr8r. A few more details of possible interest--the garage (who was test driving) is well insured and falls into the "responsible, professional" category. I went to the old man's insurance first because he's the one that made the mistake. The accident report was written by a small town sheriff who knew the old man and didn't write him up as "at fault" even though the statements are pretty clear. However his insurance company has agreed to accept my claim. If I can't settle with them, I'll go to the garage policy and then they would settle with the old man's company.

I'm intrigued by the idea of contacting the Insurance Commissioner and filing an OIC inquiry to get their attention if nothing else.

I appreciate the advice to consult a lawyer and will do so if things don't go my way soon.

I have proceeded with gathering information to try to increase the value of the van above what they are offering. I'm trying to help the adjuster cover his ass and be able to say yes.

Will keep you posted.

Your response to the situation at hand is the exact and correct way to proceed. I can't tell you how many times I have bent over backward to try to help a customer who approaches the situation in a calm and responsible manner. I am an agent but I work closely with claim adjusters often. Those people have difficult jobs. The payouts they authorize do have to make sense. You are wise to help the adjuster to help you.
wareiter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: where are the lawyers? Reply with quote

This is not legal advice and I do not represent anyone here.
Where is the legal rescue squad?
All the advice I have seen is correct and the experiences are common. Insurance adjusters, agents with 26 years experience, MightyArt. These are good sources.
The van has been appraised by an "independent" service and there is a report with pictures and evidence of comparable sales. The at fault's insurance company should have offered enough money for you to be able to drive off a lot with the same make, model and condition vehicle with taxes, tags and registration paid. If they say they are offering you ACV, they should have about 3 examples of comparable vans offered for that price within about 100 miles.
You can always just sue the at-fault and present evidence of damages, cost of repair or fair market value. As the owner, you are competent (legally) to give an opinion of value. It is an easy and relatively cheap case to put on (no expert witness fees). The problem is that since you were not in the van (which is good) you were not hurt (which is good) so there is no gravy and you cannot generally get a lawyer without the gravy. If you were in Maryland, I would help you out for the karma.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Margalo13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xlr8r wrote:
Margalo13 wrote:
xlr8r wrote:
Let me say that it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

I hope we will get to see the end result and how it was handled.

Good luck!

I will definitely post the end result--hope it's sooner rather than later. Thank you for the replies, especially MightyArt's Wife and xlr8r. A few more details of possible interest--the garage (who was test driving) is well insured and falls into the "responsible, professional" category. I went to the old man's insurance first because he's the one that made the mistake. The accident report was written by a small town sheriff who knew the old man and didn't write him up as "at fault" even though the statements are pretty clear. However his insurance company has agreed to accept my claim. If I can't settle with them, I'll go to the garage policy and then they would settle with the old man's company.

I'm intrigued by the idea of contacting the Insurance Commissioner and filing an OIC inquiry to get their attention if nothing else.

I appreciate the advice to consult a lawyer and will do so if things don't go my way soon.

I have proceeded with gathering information to try to increase the value of the van above what they are offering. I'm trying to help the adjuster cover his ass and be able to say yes.

Will keep you posted.

Your response to the situation at hand is the exact and correct way to proceed. I can't tell you how many times I have bent over backward to try to help a customer who approaches the situation in a calm and responsible manner. I am an agent but I work closely with claim adjusters often. Those people have difficult jobs. The payouts they authorize do have to make sense. You are wise to help the adjuster to help you.

That's been my feeling, thanks for the reassurance. It looks like I'll be talking to him on Monday. I sent him PAGES of comparable info today which he's looking over.
Margalo13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: where are the lawyers? Reply with quote

wareiter wrote:
All the advice I have seen is correct and the experiences are common. Insurance adjusters, agents with 26 years experience, MightyArt. These are good sources.
The van has been appraised by an "independent" service and there is a report with pictures and evidence of comparable sales. The at fault's insurance company should have offered enough money for you to be able to drive off a lot with the same make, model and condition vehicle with taxes, tags and registration paid. If they say they are offering you ACV, they should have about 3 examples of comparable vans offered for that price within about 100 miles.
You can always just sue the at-fault and present evidence of damages, cost of repair or fair market value. As the owner, you are competent (legally) to give an opinion of value. It is an easy and relatively cheap case to put on (no expert witness fees). The problem is that since you were not in the van (which is good) you were not hurt (which is good) so there is no gravy and you cannot generally get a lawyer without the gravy. If you were in Maryland, I would help you out for the karma.

I did check in with one random lawyer and kind of had that feeling--there's not much in it for them and a lot of hassle if I went down that road. I'd rather the insurance company attorneys battle out among themselves if it comes to that. It does make sense, though, (MightyArt'sWife suggestion) to consult with someone about exactly what my rights are. Still sitting on that.
Margalo13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: where are the lawyers? Reply with quote

Margalo13 wrote:
wareiter wrote:

I did check in with one random lawyer and kind of had that feeling--there's not much in it for them and a lot of hassle if I went down that road. I'd rather the insurance company attorneys battle out among themselves if it comes to that. It does make sense, though, (MightyArt'sWife suggestion) to consult with someone about exactly what my rights are. Still sitting on that.

P.S. I plan to mention in our next conversation (w/adjuster) that I've talked with an attorney--so he knows that I know it's an option and can put that in his quiver if he needs to defend his decision.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to keep hush about the attorney, no reason to make the adjuster your advisary.
Be as nice and polite as you can, tell him your plight, how much you love your van, how long you had it ect.
Insurance companies are not your friends, but adjusters are people.
He may feel sorry for you and want to help you out.
Knowing your rights is the best thing you can do, that way you can ask him knowledgable questions if you think he's low-balling you.
When our Honda was wrecked we had progressive insurance, but the one who hit my wife also had progressive and that's who the claim was filed under.
We were quite happy with our outcome, but one of the big reasons ours was favorable was because Nina knew the right questions to ask, and she always talked to them nicely and as fellow insurance people.
Margalo13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
You may want to keep hush about the attorney, no reason to make the adjuster your advisary.
Be as nice and polite as you can, tell him your plight, how much you love your van, how long you had it ect.
Insurance companies are not your friends, but adjusters are people.
He may feel sorry for you and want to help you out.
Knowing your rights is the best thing you can do, that way you can ask him knowledgable questions if you think he's low-balling you.
When our Honda was wrecked we had progressive insurance, but the one who hit my wife also had progressive and that's who the claim was filed under.
We were quite happy with our outcome, but one of the big reasons ours was favorable was because Nina knew the right questions to ask, and she always talked to them nicely and as fellow insurance people.

I'll try to bring in a llittle more of the sympathy piece when I talk with him on Monday--I expect he'll be making another offer (or sticking with his last one). Fingers crossed. We're $2,000 apart it looks like.
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Margalo13:

I am not a lawyer and I am not offering legal advice. I am offering my opinion, just like everyone else on this board.

It sounds like you are doing a good job and you may not need an attorney. When I first posted here I was not suggesting that you should sue as a first course of action. Reasonable people routinely negotiate settlements with insurance companies, and you are wise to first attempt this on your own without the added expense of legal representation. Lawsuits are a "last resort" type of thing, best reserved for matters involving a lot of money, or life and liberty. So keep going with what you're doing and if you can get a good repair, or enough money for another van like yours, then bravo, you're done.

Yet there are times when it helps a lot to have an advocate looking out for you. If you should find it necessary to seek legal advice and representation then shop around for an attorney. You and your attorney would need to agree on how the attorney is to be paid (Hourly? Flat fee? Per task?), and how much money, and what the attorney will do for you. Then you can make an informed decision as to whether it makes monetary sense to hire legal counsel. I would also suggest that the attorney explain to you a clear course of action with a timeline for completion. Again, it may be possible to pay for advice without full representation, but I don't know how they do it in Texas.

But I hope you won’t need an attorney because it sounds like you’re on your way to working something out. An attorney would likely cost more than the $2,000 difference you’re negotiating right now.

The rest of this isn’t necessarily written to help the original poster. I’m just going to make some comments on what I’ve read here.

To Everyone Else:

All who have posted to this thread seem genuinely concerned that Margalo13 should find a fair and speedy resolution to this predicament. I also think that you're all giving pretty good advice based on your personal knowledge and experience. But not everyone has the same knowledge or experience.

I have to take issue with the following paragraph from xlr8r. I have valued the opportunity to read this person’s point of view. However, because I feel this view is so biased by association with the insurance industry, I am compelled to respond. Xlr8r wrote:

Quote:
The garage is not liable. We are now getting into the legality of the particular claim, and remember I said an attorney was not necessary. I still go by that statement. The reason the garage is not liable is because the claim as it was stated indicates the old man is at fault. If that is the case, the court would find against the old man and in favor of the garage. You would be back to step one having wasted your time. A case would still have to be brought against the old man and his insurance company.

Each sentence in that paragraph shows a distinct and specific ignorance of the law. I suspect that xlr8r understands how insurance works and may be good at the insurance job. But who is at fault, or liable, is not something that's decided based upon a claim or an insurance policy. Of course insurance company employees routinely decide who will--or will not--be paid from a policy, but that is a business decision and not a determination of legal liability. Liability is a matter of law, and when such determination is made by an insurance industry employee who is unschooled in the law it constitutes little more than an uneducated guess.

I wonder if xlr8r’s continued admonishments not to seek legal advice are due to an inherent insurance industry bias against attorneys. A good attorney might make insurance companies perform their duty as intended, rather than deny valid claims in the interest of increasing profit. Of course an insurance company can’t investigate every claim in detail and can’t pay out without proof of damage and value. Therefore many claimants end up doing the legwork that Margolo13 is doing. But when a claimant has trouble navigating the system, or if a claimant feels that their right or the law is being disregarded, then it is quite reasonable to hire a legal advocate to represent one’s claim.

Beyond and superior to the business of insurance there is a larger system--that of the law--that determines true liability, financial and otherwise. Many insurance claims and payouts are for dollar amounts that don't justify hiring an attorney, so the insurance companies often have their way with claimants without a need to respect the law. Some claimants get fair payouts, some get bullied and ignored, some work diligently and rationally to prove the value of their claim and get what they want. Claims with a larger dollar value tend to get more attention from the insurance company, making more likely a fair and accurate payout amount. This is to avoid having lawyers step in to determine actual liability and true value of the claim (plus lawyers' fees).

Attorneys are experts in the law, that is to say, experts in the rules of society by which all men conduct their affairs. This field of knowledge and experience encompasses all of man's conduct, including contracts (insurance contracts, or a contract to have a car repaired) and torts (injuries, including the injury of having your car damaged). (An aside To MightyArt's Wife: I don't think the garage committed a "tort in breach of contract." It was just a breach of contract, and perhaps also the tort of negligence. Two different things. And the old man likely committed the tort of negligence.)

Attorneys are also legal counselors. They are able to predict legal outcomes and to advise a course of action for their clients. Attorneys are able to do these things by education, training, and experience; they are permitted to do these things by state law. The attorney also has a heightened fiduciary duty: a true legal duty to work for the client’s best interest, and to avoid conflicts of interest. Insurance industry representatives do not have this same strong duty to care for their customers or to give good advice. (The only exception to this statement might be if your insurance company provides an attorney to represent you. But even then it is a well known conflict of interest that such lawyers get their steady paycheck from the insurance company, not from their revolving cast of “clients.”)

No one on the payroll of an insurance company is going to care about your case, or give you unbiased advice, the way that a good attorney can.

Xlr8r has repeatedly told Margalo13 to stay away from attorneys, in effect encouraging her to work within the insurance company's system, without the benefit of legal counsel. This is what I would expect from someone who has spent 26 years working for insurance companies. If Margalo13 can look out for herself and get a fair settlement then that's a fine option, but it is not the only option.

Xlr8r’s predictions of legal liability, and of legal outcomes in court, and subsequent advice to Margalo13 would constitute the practice of law without a licence--and a bad job of it, too--if Margalo were a client of xlr8r’s insurance company. Or if this were not an anonymous internet forum.

Xlr8r wrote:

Quote:
This is actually a very simple case being made more complicated by some of the "experts" here.

Quote:
I'm an insurance agent for 26 years.

Some of the advice given here HAS been bad.

Sorry.

In writing this way, xlr8r is disparaging the opinions of others, and suggesting that he is an expert. Xlr8r then proceeds to give incorrect advice on a subject (the law) that he doesn’t understand:

Quote:
The garage is not liable.

Just wrong. The garage is liable on the theories of negligence and breach of contract. Margalo13's first explanation said that a garage employee drove into the old man. A later post said that the old man hit the vanagon. Either way the van was in the care of the garage, which was responsible for its safekeeping. If the old man was MORE responsible than the garage, then you are into more complex legal issues: proximate and legal cause, comparative negligence rules, etc. But these issues determine whether the old man or the garage is more or less negligent. Nothing here removes the garage from an initial determination of liability.

Quote:
We are now getting into the legality of the particular claim, and remember I said an attorney was not necessary. I still go by that statement.

This statement is illogical. The fact that "We are now getting into the legality of the claim" is exactly why an attorney is more necessary, rather than less so. (Unless you are the insurance company rep, in which case the claimant's hiring of an attorney may make it more "necessary" to pay out some money.)

Quote:
The reason the garage is not liable is because the claim as it was stated indicates the old man is at fault.

So the garage is not liable because of the claim that . . . the garage is not liable? Another nonsensical statement. This statement assumes that a claimant's explanation of events is the final determinant of legal liability, regardless of the facts or the law. Simplistic and illogically circular, on par with saying "it is so, because it is so.” To begin a proper legal discussion, see what I wrote above, under the statement "The garage is not liable."

Quote:
If that is the case, the court would find against the old man and in favor of the garage.

Well, last time I checked Texas was following a modified comparative negligence statute, meaning the garage and the old man might both be partially at fault, but the party MORE at fault makes full payment to Margalo13. And to avoid going to court the insurance companies might settle in accordance with attorney's predictions of likely legal outcome (oh, those darn attorneys again!) So what is that outcome, does the garage pay or does the old man pay? Without knowing more, such as talking to both parties, and looking at the police report, and examining other evidence, there is no way to know. Therefore I find it odd that xlr8r can predict, while sitting in front of a computer screen, just what a court would do.

Quote:
You would be back to step one having wasted your time. A case would still have to be brought against the old man and his insurance company.

Wrong. The plaintiff in a lawsuit can name multiple parties as long as the defendants are all related to the same event or injury that gave rise to the claim. Then let the defendants work it out. Defendants can settle out (most likely), or they can go to court and fight it out (not likely for this affair). But Margalo13 can file one suit against everyone involved and take care of it all at once. The suit is a vehicle to determine liability and payment when it can't be agreed upon otherwise.

Now, the old man may have only purchased the minimum level of liability coverage, in which case his insurance company may only be obligated to pay out that small amount of coverage and no more, regardless of the cost of a new vanagon. In such a case it is imperative to involve the garage's insurance company as well, as the garage policy is likely to be a "deep pocket” capable of ensuring full and fair payment. Any personal injury lawyer worth two bits knows this stuff better than I do. I didn’t want to write about it because I don’t want to be perceived as giving advice, which I’m not. These are my OPINIONS. If you want ADVICE that you can RELY on, that’s what you hire an attorney for.

In all likelihood the attorney would write a demand letter, negotiate with the companies, and get a payment for the plaintiff. This is, in effect, what Margalo13 is doing on her own by presenting her evidence to the insurance companies and trying to work it out quickly and efficiently. I think we've all agreed that this is a good thing to attempt, and we all hope that reasonable people will work together for a fair outcome.

What concerns me is when a poster on the samba discourages someone with a good legal claim from understanding legal issues, and then spreads legal misinformation. The only benefit from doing so runs straight to the insurance company.

Margalo13 sounds smart and competent and seems to know that our opinions are provided to encourage further exploration toward resolving the claim. It is OK to ask questions on the internet and gather opinions. It is a mistake to rely on the advice of anonymous internet characters (myself included) for important legal decisions, no matter what qualifications those characters claim.

Margalo13: I truly hope and expect that you can resolve your claim without too much hassle. I hope you don’t avoid an investigation of the law, simply because a long-time insurance industry rep tells you that you don’t need the law.
Mightyart's Wife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the advice offered by funagon is quite valuable. Further, it demonstrates exactly why folks in insurance (especially myself) have no business talking about legal issues, as I was indeed 100% wrong about breach of contract being a tort. "A tort is wrongful conduct by one individual that results in injury to another. All civil wrongs that are not based on contracts are torts."

I've had varied experience in the insurance industry. I've worked in a Risk Management department, for an insurance carrier, for a retail insurance agency that sells policies to businesses, and for a wholesale insurance agency that sells policies to retail agents. In all instances, the companies for which I work have been very clear on the necessity of legal counsel in determining coverage issues.

In fact, I currently work for the wholesaler, and we are specifically prohibited from assisting agents with interpretation of coverage scenarios. These situations usually play out as follows:
Retail agent receives an inquiry from the insured, such as: "How will my policy respond if I am sued by XYZ General Contracting Company, who is an additional insured on the policy?" The retailer comes to us, the wholesaler, and says: "How will Joe Schmoe Subcontractor's GL policy with Big Guys Insurance Company respond if they are sued by their additional insured, XYZ General Contracting Company?" To which we respond: "We cannot comment on coverage scenarios. We will ask Big Guys Insurance Company for their comments." We then forward this inquiry to Big Guys, who invariably respond: "We cannot comment on coverage scenarios. We suggest that Joe Schmoe Subcontractor consult their attorney on this issue." We then forward this response to the retailer, and as such, have covered our rear ends from being sued for interpreting the policy incorrectly.

As an aside, all of us in the office usually have an opinion on how the coverage scenario would play out. We don't dare express this opinion, and I've heard seasoned professionals in my office advise the retailer that they would be wise to avoid sharing these opinions as well, lest they get hit with an "Errors and Omissions" claim in the future.

All this is neither here nor there with respect to the original poster's issue. It just underscores the dependence of the insurance industry on the advice and counsel of attorneys.

The Progressive adjuster probably has the luxury of consulting with counsel that is on retainer for their company. You are not on a level playing field if you don't afford yourself the same luxury.

Also, don't feel bad about holding the garage accountable if necessary - remember, it was just an accident, everyone understands that they didn't mean to wreck your van, and that's why they buy insurance.

Everyone is likely offering their best two cents in this instance, in hopes that you (the original poster) end up with the most fair and reasonable settlement. Don't sell yourself short here - a little money spent on legal advice may go a long way. Again, you don’t necessarily have to sue anyone, but an attorney can do a much better job of telling you what you are entitled to. Anything offered up from an insurance person is just an opinion. It would be a real shame to accept a settlement and then be out your own money sometime down the road because you were not fully restored to the position you were in before the accident occurred. If your van gets fixed, and problems arise later that end up being a result of the accident, I think it will be pretty hard to get the insurance company to give you more money. We’ve known people personally that have had repairs made after a “not at fault” accident, and they later had to shell out their own money, because problems kept cropping up down the road. I also hope that you won’t have to go to the hassle of getting an attorney – it would be great if you were able to get a fair settlement and walk away happy and right back where you were.

You are very wise to remain calm and explore all of your options, as you’ve been doing thus far, so you’ve got half the battle won right there. Best of luck, and do keep us posted.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to quit commenting but Funagon has brought up some intresting points that have gotten me thinking so here goes.
Have you actually seen the accident report or are you going by what the garage is telling you?
And the same with how well they are covered by insurance have you seen proof or again are you just going by what they are telling you?
Also you seen to want to settle for $10,000 to get your Westy fixed.
Is that the estimate number they gave you?
Remember it's called and estimate not a firm, if you settle and they start working and find more damage you are the one who's going to have to pay the differance.
It seems very easy to blame a 90 year old man, but he wasn't sited, it doesn't matter why, the accident report is what the court will go by.
He might be getting hosed to, have you talked to or seen him?
His car is wrecked to, the only person who is getting away scott free is the garage, who seems be the one at fault.
I will reiterate I am just offering suggestions as I see them, I like most who have posted don't want to see anybody get ripped off, But the advise on the forums from all of us is as good as what you've paid for it.
Margalo13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many word read, cause many more words to flow from me!

Funagon: I appreciate your clear and organized thinking and especially your ability to put those into words. This forum has been of great value to me for a variety of reasons. I especially appreciate differing points of views and even contradictory ones. They inform me. It is up to me to sift through everything and take what sounds right, reject what doesn’t and pursue questions that seem most relevant. Most of all, I have benefited from the support in what otherwise felt like a very isolated and lonely situation.

The very special thing about a forum is that the potential is there for a true dialogue in which people respectively consider and respond to one another’s viewpoints. From here we can become bigger than we each would be without the others. Not all forums are created equal (can’t say I have a lot of experience, but am pretty sure that’s true), but I’ve found this one to be firmly in the space of inspired dialogue.

For example, I’m pretty sure the garage IS liable, even though it was a very unfortunate sequence of events (you don’t even want to know the details!). I went to the old man’s insurance first because it seemed fair; he made the mistake. The garage had the unfortunate fact of being in possession of my vehicle—they had responsibility for it. Not fair, but a fact.

To clarify—the old man pulled out in front of the van that was being test driven. However, the sheriff did not assign fault in his accident report (likely due to small town politics). The old man’s insurance has accepted my claim, though. I have not seen the accident report, but been told the bottom line. Think I’ll ask for a copy.

My real concern is that this is a border-line case financially. My poor 1987 Westfalia has an estimated 10K in damages to the front end. What is it’s actual cash value? ACV? It’s very close to 10K. Does it matter that I’d have to go to some trouble and expense to find a comparable vehicle if I agreed to total it? I am not inclined to total it, because it is repairable (based on the advice I have and choose to trust) and it is a collectible vehicle—they aren’t making them anymore. Also I have 15 years worth of maintenance and improvements that I can take to the bank—at least in terms of confidence. I don’t know if any of this matters. This is where legal counsel would be helpful.

My goal is very simple (as stated my MightyArtsWife). I want to be fully restored to the position I was in before the accident--nothing more and nothing less. This feels like moral high ground and that’s where I’m coming from with the adjustor. What I don’t know is if the law supports me.

Be assured that I do not intend to accept less and will consult with an attorney before making a settlement that accepts less than that. Cross your fingers. Tomorrow morning I expect a call from Progressive.

Regarding some of MightyArt’s follow-up comments. Yes, the 10K is an estimate and I’m consciously taking a risk for the following reasons. The garage and the body shop are practically across the street from each other. The body shop has squeezed his estimate as far as they can (I believe it to be a quality shop, one worthy of my Westy). A suspicious person might be worried about their collaboration, but I see it more as teamwork. We’re all trying to get this thing fixed and get it on the road again with the least hassle and expense possible. I trust both the garage and the body shop. I also have my eyes open and will make a claim on the garage policy if the old man’s falls short—we’ll find out tomorrow and I’ll let y’all know!
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your batttle is in getting a fair estimate for the value of the van. If you look across the country, the value of your van may be in the $12-$15 k range. That's where an appraisal would benefit you. I have not seen pictures of your van, but it sounds like you took care of it and it was in good shape. I don't think you should focus on how much it is to fix it, but how much it costs to replace it. To find a van with a long documanted history and only a few owners is rare. That makes yours even more valuable. An appraiser would consider this where an insurance company would not. Ask for an appraisal.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Help! Insurance wants to total my 87 Westy Reply with quote

Wow what a great wealth of information. In 1997, my 1991 Westfalia with 56K original miles (my dream vehicle), had a blowout on the freeway at 78 mph. The tire was a Michelin exact tire specified in the owners manual. After 18 separate visits to repair and body shops to repair the fender well, their was still an inadvertent knocking that occurred that noone could figure out. As it was my daily driver and I was a shipping agent using my car to drive over 30K per year, after 3 1/2 months of grief and being unable to spend anymore time on the battle, I surrendered and traded my beloved Westy in for a 1998 VW GTI VR6.......It took me until 2005 to get back into another Westy, which brings me to my point.
I purchased a 1980 Westy(actually advertised on The Samba for sale today because I just bought another 1974 Thing) from the 2nd owner and it had been in a low mph accident on ice up on the mountain during a snowstorm...
"During a snowstorm at Mt Hood @ 1999, the van slid at 20 mph into a snow bank and tipped into the bank, causing the top to tweak....Their insurance Co. would not back them up on purchasing a replacement top (because they did not exist) so it now has a "Reconstructed Title". He purchased it back from them, had the hardtop seamlessly repaired and re-Gelcoated by a marine painting specialist (looks brand new!),then had exterior professionally repainted(also looks brand new!)....Call for entire story,this is not BS, it was nowhere near totalled, just BER(beyond economical repair) according to Ins co....and just one look and drive you will love it just as much as I. When I bought this van my 3rd 1980 Westy, It took the owner two days to find the title before the transaction went through, then, when he found it it said "reconstructed title" which is not as bad as one may think. "Salvage title" cars were a total loss and I would never touch-frame damage, fire damage etc..., reconstructed title cars had an issue where they were "BER-Beyond Economical Repair" ".......

I did not have an issue with it as I was provided with all of the receipts and I could tell that someone really loved and cherished the van to a fault......and that due to my previous battles with my "dream van", this would be Karma's way of rewarding me for my previous struggles. I have had 0 issues with this van and as with any of my 34 VW's I have owned over the years, I do all the routine maintenance to keep up with my vehicle and keep it running and driving like it should. The one bad thing about a reconstructed title vehicle is that people confuse it with a salvage title and it can really hit you on resale, if you ever resell it? Personally, to me it was a godshot as I still have not seen a 1980 Westy in as good Physical and mechanical shape as my "reconstructed Title" van.

May peace and serenity be with you and if you decide to keep it, which it seems you are leaning towards, just remember that you do have 15 years of Maintenance and repair history and 15 years of memories and stories and no one can take that away from you. If you did ever have to sell it, just like when I bought mine, you will find a true enthusiast who loves and cares for it as much as you do so do not worry....it will all work out! I just wish I would have been on The Samba during my ordeal from 2-2007 until 3-2008 when I finally gave up and traded my 1991 Westy in for a GTI. These are incredible vehicles and some people get it and some people do not! I adopted a saying from a previous employer while selling cars for 1 1/2 years in college that has stuck with me all these years...." there is an ass for every seat!" Mine prefers the luxury of a home on wheels.....

Good luck and keep us all updated!
carterzest
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margalo13 wrote:
Quote:
I want to be fully restored to the position I was in before the accident--nothing more and nothing less. This feels like moral high ground and that’s where I’m coming from with the adjustor. What I don’t know is if the law supports me.

Yes, the basic law in any personal injury case (including property damage such as your van) is that you should be made "whole," which means that you should be restored to where you were before the accident. As if it didn't happen. Usually the only way to be made "whole" is with dollars. In some instances it is hard to determine the dollar amount. Your case is pretty simple because you were not at fault in any way, and the dollar amount is the price to replace (or fix) your van.

Reasonable parties will still disagree as to the correct dollar amount: exactly how much money does it take to buy a vanagon like yours? This means that you are in a negotiation. Whatever dollar amount they offer, they should be able to show comparable local vanagons for sale at the same price. If they can't show you any, then ask "where is this fantasy replacement vehicle supposed to come from?" and ask for a higher price. If you actually have to go out of state for a vehicle, that will drive your cost up. (Show them the GoWesty website!) Good vanagons are getting harder to find so it's not as easy as going to the car lot for a 2006 Honda Civic. Use this point in your favor when arguing for more money.

You may be dealing with a good, well-intentioned insurance person who just doesn't know the value of vanagons, or who doesn't know how hard it is to find a well-maintained example. So be civil and think of your job as educating the other parties as to why you will need more money than they're offering. Look for ads showing vans like yours for sale, for high prices. (Also ask: Does this van have clean upholstery? 15 years of service records? Good paint job?) Then after they make an offer remind them that you'll also have to pay sales tax and title transfer fees (if you total instead of repairing).

My discussion has assumed that you would total it instead of fixing it. But if you want to have the body shop fix it, I suppose you still have to convince the insurance company it's worth fixing instead of totaling because it's really expensive to buy a good replacement westy. (So you're still showing them how valuable your westy is).

You may have heard that you "catch more flies with honey with vinegar." I was taught that when negotiating it's best to start out nice. You can always get mean later, but once you go mean it's hard to go back to nice. So see what you can catch with honey, first.

You do have the high ground in this negotiation so don't feel pressured. When they offer you a dollar amount, it is OK to nicely say "I need to think about that. I will definitely get back to you." Nothing wrong with thinking. Your van won't get better or worse over the course of a few days so be cool.
xlr8r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Margalo 13:

I wish you good luck with your settlement. You seem to be a very reasonable lady and if I were the adjuster I would be very inclined to want to help you with a fair settlement.

To Funagon:

It was your comment at the top of page 2, that got me started. I was not going to comment at all because Margola 13 seemed to be on the right track.

Spare me the legal lecture and take your disgust for the insurance industry to another discussion.
Margalo13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margalo13 wrote:
The very special thing about a forum is that the potential is there for a true dialogue in which people respectively consider and respond to one another’s viewpoints.

I meant to say RESPECTFULLY not respectively . . . .

The latest update is as follows: I had written the adjustor a lengthy memo w/supporting documents detailing maintainence, improvements and comparable sales--I also challenged some of his sales data such as including Weekender models. I don't know how many pages I sent--it represented many hours of work.

He came back with some questions about my van--engine re-build 40K miles ago and had taken another look at Autotrader data. He commented on specifics about the condition of my vehicle. Just to offer one detail--he said engine work at 40K translated to pretty much nothing. I said ARE YOU KIDDING? On a vehicle with over 200K miles on it????

Then he made the following offer which increased the previous one by about $1,000. He offered $10,191.15 for them to take the title and $7,936 if I keep it. He stated plainly that this was his final offer.

I replied that I heard his final offer, but I wanted him to consider the fact that I would settle for $8,500 and I keep the van. He said "hold on a minute." Called me back within 30 minutes and said " I can offer you $8,436 if you keep it and $11,000 if we salvage it."

This is progress, however I've decided to be a pill and hang in there for $8,500.

So now we're in a Mexican stand-off. I wrote a letter to the policy holder (a.k.a. the old guy) inviting him to make up the difference (a long shot, but why not??).

I'm going to sit on this for a day or two, then probably let it go. I think I've squeezed what I can out of the insurance company short of going to lawyers. It's worth it to me to not spend more time and energy on this--I don't think I'd get that much more, though I don't know! I do believe I've "done all I can do" with this particular option.

The garage owner has verbally agreed to kick in the difference to get it fixed. I think he knows he's liable, but also he genuinely feels badly about this and, in the words of my husband is a "stand up guy."

Haven't said yes yet . . . . but we're almost to getting her back on the road.

Thanks again for all the interest and support. If you're ever cruising through Austin . . . .
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think you're selling yourself short. He's already agreed your van is worth $11k. $8500 means you're buying it back for $2500 which is WAY too high for a salvaged van. it's worth no more than $1000 on a buy-back which means they should be paying you $10,000 if you keep it. There are industry standards for this. He's still trying to make money because you want to keep it. My 89 van was valued at $16,500 and my buyback was $900. I still think you should reject their offer at $8500 and ask if they will have an appraisal done.
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should ask for more. I had 2 cars totaled by others in the 90's up in Portland (VW Fox, Jeep Wrangler). If they're willing to give you 11K to salvage, then they should give you almost that to keep it. Here's how it works:
$11,000 and they take it; they then sell it to a junkyard/salvage operation ~ maybe $500-1000 depending on what totaled means (the junkyard will likely pay more for a car with more/desirable parts to sell).

So if they are willing to pay $11K less the return on the salvage sale, then if you keep the van you should be getting $11K less the salvage value.

Call a junkyard and ask them what they'd pay for it. That amount is the amount of money less than $11K you should reasonably accept, within a few hundred dollars.

Logic drives this conclusion ~ the value of the van can't change depending upon who holds the title. I would want to know where they came up with a $2500 value for a salvage title vehicle Shocked .

Bottom line ~ insurance is a business; they aren't evil per se (well some of them are) but they are paid according to how much they save the company. So you should insist that what's good enough for them is good enough for you. It's tiring, I know, but I'll add my own experience.

89 yr old lady ran a red light and totaled my VW. Back pain, etc. for weeks ~ my neck has never been the same, range of motion on one side has been limited ever after.

The insurance co. offered to settle for medical only, plus total out my car (the car ran fine ~ it was so cheap that bumper/panel damage totaled it). I got a lawyer involved ~ this cost me 25% of the value of the settlement. The settlement went from $2800 ($2000 for auto, $800 for medical) to $5800 (latter number was net to me). It was worth it to pay to have a sharpshooter on my side who knew the rules of engagement.

You can call your local BAR association and get a referral ~ they only charge $35-50 for a 1 hour or so meeting with a lawyer who can give you the lowdown on the situation.

Best of luck,

Lanval
Pascaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember suggesting to not tell them you want your van back... he is doing exactly what i predicted: saving money because you are attached to the van.

I'd take the 11000$ and move on because now you run into the fun of dealing with bodyshops. Chances are that they will find something else that needs to be fixed and you will be spending more money than you though. Even a written estimate has a clause that says something along those line : subjet to dissambly. Or subject to hidden damage. There are often hidden damages.

I am sure the insurance co will have you sign a contract price that sheilds them from spending any more money that you agreed to by keeping your van. You gave them the big end of the stick, dont expect them not to use it.

You seems like a nice person that is swimming in a pool of sharks, insurance co, garages, bodyshops are all professionnals that earn their (not yours) living by their trade. If something goes wrong and it is not their obvious wrongdoing, the customer always pays, Always. Unless you can fix your van yourself, go adopt the nicest van you can find.

I know it is the wrong forum for my last comment but here goes anyways: it is only a piece of metal, dont get emotionnally attached to it, emotion will make you take the wrong decisions.
2000 Fork pick up (work truck)
2004 Mazda 6 wagon (her car)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: