Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

Was going to get this one originally but I see what you mean now

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/12V-Bosch-Blue-Coil-with-Mounting-Bracket-00-012-p/00-012us.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

Bosch coil. 1,8 ohm. Close enough
https://www.mecatechnic.com/en-GB/bosch-red-12v-coil-for-tsz-electronic-ignition_UC32006.htm
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

I know it says not available on their site but will this work?says 1,8 ohm on body of coil. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bch-00013
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

I am sure that coil will work ok, but it would be nice to have more complete specifications.

I do not know if a petronix II will work nicely with TFI. I have never tried it. It probably would work but It would not be better, it might have more voltage drop but I'm not sure.

I went to TFI BECAUSE my petronixII died and I wasn't happy with it's timing accuracy so you can see why I would not be exploring that. Personally I prefer the compufire or computronix modules, and I know they can trigger TFI module ok and I've done that a few times but it's not my favorite.
Using the petronix II you could drive the coil directly and that makes sense BUT....... You could also have a 1.2-1.5 ohm ohm ballast resistor mounted to allow a regular petronix or compufire to run the 1.5-2 ohm coil directly as "backup plan" should the TFI quit.... but I really don't think you will ever need it.
Spark energy would be reduced but still just as good as a half worn out points stock ignition system.
If you have a problem it's probably going to be a loose wire, shorted plug wire, or dirt on the contacts so I don't think you need to worry. If you want to worry just carry a spare everything. Plug in a spare TFI module and see if that fixes it, it's easy with a CONNECTOR Wink

The TFI connector is the same for all models but the wire colors are different. I'm pretty sure any connector can be made to work just have to go by the PIN location instead of the wire color. I bought a new one for 12$ at napa but it was probably on sale, and after the sale they are not in stock usually. Google it, "tfi connector", should work.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
walter kandetzki wrote:
Hi guys I am currently building a 1641 with German 034 distributor and stock 34 pict3 carb and I plan on getting the Petronix II module the correct Bosch resistor coil.

Not sure if you have read the instructions for the IGNITOR II electronic ignition?
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0247/6913/4628/files/91847V.pdf
It states the distributor should have 0.6ohms resistance thru the primary winding. The OE Bosch coils had 3 to 4ohms of resistance in the primary windings. So when you say you will use the correct Bosch coil... which one were you referring to? What is the primary winding resistance?

Read the whole document you quote - it states there is a minimum DC resistance for the coil of 0.45 ohms on the second page.

"The Ignitor II ignition can be used in conjunction with most ignition coils rated at 0.45 ohms or
greater. For optimum performance purchase and install the Flamethrower II high performance coil."

Basically though, the lower resistance the coil, the faster the IgnitorII heats up and the shorter time it takes to fail. Going with a Bosch blue coil with the classic 3 ohm DC resistance will reduce the heating effect..

I was using one of the Chinese variants of this module and on a hot British summers day it started misfiring after heat soaking for half an hour at a service station following high speed running up and down hills with an engine at about 220F.

So I went back to points, and each generic "tin can with a bit of green wire on it" condenser has lasted maybe 500 miles before giving up..

I did buy ten polypropylene capacitors off eBay for about £5. - the polypropylene construction is self healing unlike ceramic capacitors, a flashover will kill a ceramic capacitor possibly with it shorting, the polypropylene capacitor will just lose one of its thousands of lives ..

On one occasion the engine was idling in the afternoon, after rebuilding the top end of the engine, and the next morning, no spark.

While it is winter time, I have gone back to the misbehaving Chinese module, which despite failing in summer heat, is working perfectly as the engine will not go above 180F at the moment.

Instead of packaging up one of those polypropylene capacitors, because I am fed up with both points and electronic modules, I am currently installing a wasted-spark EDIS-4 based system, with a home brewed timing controller. Using a modified eBay sourced 36-1 timing wheel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

Danielle21 you’ve been gone since 2008 just look what became of your post😀
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Danielle21 you’ve been gone since 2008 just look what became of your post😀

Only on for 10 days... maybe time to lock it Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

He has 6 post total I don't think he's around anymore,
I've been reading a lot of old post from 07-08 ,some good & some very wrong info Laughing some guys got Banned, Most just disappeared Rolling Eyes sad, and a lot of unfinished post, like: did we find the #%&* problem? Nope ,never to be heard from again Rolling Eyes Cheers,Mike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
millerjon101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

I read up on this patent and built something off of it using a VPT24-1040 transformer and I'm super happy with it. You're only breaking 300 ma of current with the points with a CDI so regardless of point gap etc. you have a very solid spark.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3564581A/en

I haven't buit this one https://www.wbnoble.com/ but it looks similar and could definitely be a winner/offer similar performance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dennismcd707 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

Well, I've been reading along, Points vs. Electronic, and had to pipe in. Using a blue Bosch coil, an 009 distributor, and a Pertronix Ignitor ignition, my 71 Super, powered by a healthy 1776, has been humming along since 2004 with absolutely no ignition troubles.

I'm in contact with the previous owner, and he chose to convert to electronic for the same reasons most people do........lack of maintenance and a better spark. I told him I was thinking about buying a second Ignitor module for my emergency tool kit, but he thinks it's unnecessary. (I still think I will, even though they're $104)

...........and here's where I get called stupid for throwing money away on an extra control module. Go ahead, I can take it. If it gives me a little extra peace of mind, then I don't think it's wasted money.
The point of this post is to throw a vote for electronic ignition. An easy upgrade for people like me, who don't like to constantly dick around with points.
1971 Super Beetle, 1776, dual Weber's, roller crank, big valve modified racing heads, close ratio trans, lowered suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, car has over 368,000 actual miles. (RIP 1970 Beetle/Baja, 1986 GTI, 1999 Jetta, 2002 Jetta)
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

Hey Dennis, Yes on the Spare , You can even pick up a good used Diz at a swap meet install the new 'stuff' in it, then install with clamp set timing, then ya only have the one nut to remove ,bang your on the road again,Cheers,Mike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

dennismcd707 wrote:
who don't like to constantly dick around with points.

How many miles a year do you drive your VW?

Back in the days when my Beetle was my only car, I replaced my points once a year... about every 15,000 miles.

Does your engine have solid lifters? If so who's "dicking around" adjusting the valve lash every 3000 miles?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
dennismcd707 wrote:
who don't like to constantly dick around with points.

How many miles a year do you drive your VW?

Back in the days when my Beetle was my only car, I replaced my points once a year... about every 15,000 miles.

Does your engine have solid lifters? If so who's "dicking around" adjusting the valve lash every 3000 miles?

Exactly right Glenn! Unless you run 10.5/1 or higher CR, regularly go above 6K rpm or drive over 30K miles a year the stock points and coil in good condition get the job done just fine in my experiance.

I stayed with a bone stock ignition on my sand rail because it's close to a bone stock engine and only sees about 3K miles a year. That means "dicking around" with the points comes about once every 4 or 5 years.

Our Street Buggy sees up to 10K miles a year so again the stock points would have worked fine but the stock distributor was worn and rusted beyond economical repair. I went with a Pertronics III system which failed in a few short months! I now have an EDIS 4 based crank trigger system on it which is a convenience thing for timing maps more than anything. A bit over kill really for this engine.

The vast majority of air cooled VW owners I encounter these days will not take their VWs past the city limits and only drive on nice days. They would be lucky to put on 1000 miles in a good year.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

When I see this ongoing debate about points and condensers vs. modules, there's a few components to it. What are you truly gaining by using a module? Are they more reliable? Most say no. Does it relieve you of one PM maintenance step? Sure.

At the end of the day, our old VW's still require lots of necessary PM maintenance vs. modern cars. You still should change your oil at 3k intervals. At the same time, we should quickly check the valve lash and the points gap. Check the carb mixture adjustment to ensure it's dialed in. Check the fan belt tension, fuel hose condition and look the engine compartment over.

So, you're saving 5 minutes not checking or adjusting the points gap while all the other maintenance steps still need to be accomplished. If you run quality points and condensers and keep the distributor points cam cleaned and lubricated, you can hold the same dwell for lots of miles before it needs to be adjusted.

Reality today is the vast majority of VW's are not daily driven. I'd argue most classic VW's have less than 1k miles put on them each year. I know that's the case with my VW's. We tend to only drive our VW's today on nice weekends, to a car show or doing random errands. Many are simply garage queens.

The great thing about our hobby is we all have our viewpoints and beliefs. If you like the modules, run them. If you like points, then run them. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

You know there are cars out there where you don't have to adjust the points, or change the spark plugs, or set the ignition timing, or adjust the valve lash, or change the air filter, or change the oil, or change the water pump or change the timing belt.....

They're called electric cars.

Just charge them once a week and replace the tires and brakes every 4-6 years.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

Two cars and two different stories:

I've got a set of Beru points with 3500 miles on them. They haven't needed adjusting. That distributor has a Bosch cap, Bosch rotor, and Bosch Mexico condenser.

I have another distributor with aftermarket cap, rotor, condenser, and Beru points. That one I had to change/cleanup the cap and rotor. after about 1500/2000 miles.

I've never been left stranded with points. Two electronic systems went out. One went out while driving down the road. The other when I parked at the grocers.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

If you want points to last... get a CDI system. The points only trigger the system and there's no voltage passing between them so they'll never pit. Grease the cam and you'll get 25,000+ miles on a set.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

It comes down to personal preference. I never cared for fiddling with points but still have one car (non vw) that the module interferes with a black box, so it's got points. I've had condensors fail, but also had coils leave me walking to a parts store too. Luckily no module failures yet, but in time I'm sure I'll have one go bad. For long road trips I carry spare parts anyway. And in the event the black box on my bus with locked out distributor failed, I have a spare distributor to at least keep me driving.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

Non mill-spec transistors should not be inside a hot vibrating distributor if you want dead last nearly forever reliability. Duh
Don Jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points Reply with quote

Buy a Winterburn CDI and run points. This CDI has a switch allowing you to run your ignition (Kettering) which is stock or CDI and also a Off switch to help keep the THIEVES from driving away. This unit can also be used with Petronix I modules. Electronic modules seem to fail because of heat and vibration.

Running the Winterburn in CDI mode, your points receive very small voltage so the points don't pit and will last alot longer.

Read about it and decide:

http://capacitordischargeignition.com/

Last edited by Don Jones on Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 36 of 37

Jump to: