Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

camper electricity
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aniforos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: camper electricity Reply with quote

Glad to see some recent talk about campers. I have a 77 Westy that I bought about a year and a half ago. It has about 70k original miles and although the body has some rust around the windshield, the interior was in excellent shape. Everything worked, from the fridge to the sink pump. Which brings me to the first of two questions:

1) When I first bought it, I attached an extension cord to the outside of the bus and turned on the fridg and left it on all night. In the morning it was good and cold. Now, about a year later, I am getting ready to take it camping on its maiden voyage with me, and I went to test the fridg and it doesn't seem to cool. I'm really bumed out. I checked the little glass fuse at the bottom of the control panel on the wall just above the fridg, and it is ok. Is there any other fuse I can check? The outside temperature im my area is in the 60's during the day, and around 50 tonight, in case outside temps have anything to do with it. I had the engine and trans out of the bus in between the time when the fridg worked and now. But I have been driving it occasionally and everything else seems to work ok. Any thoughts on it would be appreciated. Now for question # 2:

2) In researching campgrounds, I see that some have 30 amp service and some have 50 amp service. I am guessing my 77 Westy takes the 30 amp service. If this is true, what would happen if I used the 50 amp receptacle at the site instead of the 30 amp? Or do the 50 amp plugs have a different shape or pattern which makes it impossible to screw up? Again, thanks for any help anyone can provide. Wish me luck, and sorry about the lengthy questions.
Alex Niforos
Winston-Salem, NC
aniforos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: camper electricity Reply with quote

OK, in between the time that I posted the above questions, I went back outside and found the fridge working. What I did just before I posted the msg above, was to turn on the breaker switch which is on the receptacle just under the rear seat cushon, the one facing towards the front of the bus that you plug small appliances, lights etc, into. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it or not, but it sure looks like there might be a connection. Or maybe its just a coincidence. I also turned on the timer to charge up the extra battery. Is the fridge on only when the timer is ticking, or is the timer only to charge the battery when the bus is plugged up to AC current? All this brings me to another point about the electrical hookup. I just noticed on the flap that covers the electrical hookup on the outside of the bus, it says the following:
Delta Six Industries, Weatherproof Motor Phase Cover, Catalog # DS-100, Recreational Vehicles Only, This Connection is for 3 wire 110/125 volt AC 60Hz cycles, 15 AMP Service.
Does this mean that I cannot use it at a 30 amp site, or is it like in the movie Apollo 13, I just add up the amps of everything I want to use and make sure they don't go over 15 amps? Again, thanks in advance.

Alex Niforos
Winston-Salem, NC
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: camper electricity Reply with quote

Hey Alex

As for the fridge, yes the breaker has to be turned on if running off of shore power. It also needs to be turned on to use the 110 receptacles. The fridge will run without the timer being on. The timer is just to charge the auxliary battery, but dont overcharge. Just make sure that you have the correct switch selected that you want the fridge to run on, shore or battery power. You dont want to run the fridge on battery power very long without the engine running. I think the manual says four hours. Running it off of battery power is mainly used for keeping the fridge cool while traveling to your destination. I am trying to come up with some sort of solar solution to charge the auxiliary battery as I do most of my camping away from campgrounds.

For the solution about the correct amperage, I have also been wondering about this. I am going to dig out my original manuals and do some research. If I find something I will post it here.

Your lucky everything worked when you bought it. I have had some trouble shooting to do on mine. I have everything figured out but need to replace the sink pump.

Jasan
78 bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: camper electricity Reply with quote

Usually when the amperage is listed it means that is the max you can draw. A 30 amp electrical hookup means you can draw max 30 amps 15 amps etc. Just like at home a 100 amp service means you fuse box breaker box is capable of 100 amps older houses may have only 60. I'm thinking that your electrical hookup on outside of bus stating 15 amps means do not use more than 15 amps worth of accessories inside your bus. Hooking up to a higher amperage service just means that is what is available.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: