Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

longblocks
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skippytheleglesshobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: longblocks Reply with quote

hello all,
i am planning on buying a rebuilt longblock for my 69 bus. i am planning on getting a 90.5 or 1776cc, dual port. i found one locally for $1850, w/ counter weighted crank, AJ case (fuel injected beetle, no mech. fuel pump), 040 heads, and a 110 cam. is this a little high priced? i've been looking at catalogs and 1776's run 1100-1700. if i decide to catalog order, what are the good companies to look at? who builds good engines? i have heard some bad things about GEX, but i have no experience w/ them.
any advise is appreciated.
thanks
chris
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: longblocks Reply with quote

Concensus here seems to be that you're most likely wasting your money at GEX, or most other big engine houses for that matter. Try to find a reputable rebuilder in your local area, or if you're ambitious, get a copy of Tom Wilson's how to rebuild your vw aircooled engine, and maybe a Bentley manual, and do the job right yourself. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: longblocks Reply with quote

90.5 is the piston size of a 1776cc.

Why don't you sell some more "complete" parts off that bus you have for the extra cash?

I have a complete 1776cc minus the crank for 2k.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skippytheleglesshobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: longblocks Reply with quote

do i know you croftyest?
$2000 sounds like a good deal.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: longblocks Reply with quote

flyinginthewoodsyahoo.com said... (3/24/2003 at 6:57PM PST)
$2000 sounds like a good deal.

It does? Really? (place Jesse James' hand here)

do i know you croftyest?

You already forgot? "complete" BN4 ring a bell? I'm the guy you lied too about the heater you sold.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skippytheleglesshobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: longblocks Reply with quote

has anyone dealt w/ quality german auto parts? they have the best prices. just a hair under 2k, and it come w/ a crank!
seriously, anyone?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: