Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scam or no?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Scam or no? Reply with quote

A few weeks ago, I posted my Grandfathers pictures (from WWII) on the 11th Armored Divisions website, in hopes of locating other veterns (or relatives) who served with him in Bravo (B) Battery, 491st Armored Field Artillery Battalion. So, Saturday I get this..and for obvious reasons..scam pops to my head..

I work for a firm here in London and was wondering if you are related to William Bill E. Coplin.
A situation just came up in the firm I represent concerning William Bill E. Coplin.
If you get this mail please contact me immediately.
Respectfully,
Jeevan Daswani

my reply is this-
Depends- What was his middle name?....Don’t contact me if this is a scam.. …and NO I will not send you $5,000.00 for a cashiers check worth $300K

To which I get this response-
I work with a law firm here in London but, do private consultancy for financial institutions and high net worth clients aside from my normal office work. I'm a certified financial advisor and my International Standard Legal Number is 916796103.
I have been contracted by a financial institution here in London to ascertain your relationship with William Bill E. Coplin.
Nevertheless, I thank you for your quick response. As a security measure my employers require you answer a few questions? It is also noteworthy that if your answer does not correspond with what my employers have on file you will not hear from me again and, as such I will ask you to disregard this email.
The information I will be divulging is very sensitive in nature and as such, I need to be sure that am talking to a relative of the aforementioned. Once you answer the question then we will talk.
Will you be kind enough to tell me the aforementioned date of birth, his wife’s maiden name and if possible a copy of his birth certificate.
I await your prompt response so I can furnish you with the necessary details of the proper authorities.

Respectfully,
Jeevan Daswani

P.s
Your insinuations amuse me.

My reply is-
Which law firm..?
My relationship is – Bill Coplin was my grandfather..and I seriously doubt he had any financial dealings in Europe.
I don’t give out personal information at the drop of the hat

This A.M. I just got this-
I work for Marrache and co but this is a private job outside of my office work.
It’s only normal to feel that way. Am working for a very reputable organization and I know you will be put in the know of the situation at the appropriate time but, you should understand that I have a job to do and am to carry out instructions as assigned.
My task is to verify the authenticity of who you are based on investigations that have been privately carried out to verify that you are indeed related to William Bill E. Coplin. As such, the questions I asked.
To tell you the truth I don’t really know what this is all about. I don’t have the full details myself.
In lieu of this development and other related findings, you are to contact Mr. David Garry on +44 845 686 0299 Ext 4. He is personally in charge of this case file.
He will be in a better position to douse your being skeptic.
Respectfully,
Jeevan Daswani

Confused
Migit
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So call the number! get one of those prepaid international cards and call them! It sounds real enough to me, just don't send them any money hahahaha
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't answer your questions. Scam.
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this cracked me up...
P.s Your insinuations amuse me.
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just call this guy and ask him if he has been trying to reach you?
http://www.marrache.com/english/lawyer_jeevan.html

That way you know there and then what the deal is. Its easy for scammers to assume someone elses identity. Good luck.
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point- email fired away... Laughing

edit- LOL- I just noticed they are originating from a Yahoo email address..
mustard_madman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCIIIIZAM!!!!!!
hotair65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scam, he is asking you for birth certs and maiden names but wont answer your questions...
dquattlebum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a total scam.

A close friend of my wife and I was looking to go to Europe and be a nanny. She one day received an email from a "law firm" saying they handle US relocation and can place her in a job... Long Story short... $6500 sent by Western Union to the law firm was "never received"...

These kind of emails screw a lot of people... It was sad that it happened to our friend, she was somewhat internet savvy, but I guess it was just "too good to pass up". I said it was too good to be true...

by the way, does anyone want to make some money? Send me your account #, social security number, home address, and phone number... I will deposit $100,000 into your account if you can pay a small fee of $4,999 to me once the deposit is finished.

Wink

When they lick their butt, maybe they are shrinking thier hemiroids.
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as my first reply stated to "him" i don't plan on sending any money..i just thought it was weird that they were on the 11th armored division site. (i also informed them)..also, if my grandfather had any "lost assests" i'm pretty sure my mother would have found them.. Laughing
nott5989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a letter in the mail about a year ago with a $2500 cashiers check and a letter saying that I had just won $40k. It was supposedly from an advertising agency, which made sense in a way since my education was focused around advertising and I had some good stuff out there. I call the number and start talking to some man who sounds Indian. First off, he asks me why I thought I had won it...He says the cashiers check was to help pay the fees of acquiring such a large sum of money or something. He starts asking for my SSN and such so I tell him I need some time to think about it. The cashiers check looked totally legit. I held it under a black light to look for all the security marks and whatnot. I called the BBB the next day and they confirmed that it was a scam and that that cashiers check was there to be cashed and then when it was cashed it would be NSF but then my information would be sent to the people trying to scam me.

Dont trust anything.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mynameismud wrote:
i just thought it was weird that they were on the 11th armored division site.

I doubt he spends all day cruising that web site. More likely, its like every other scam, where they have a "bot" that searches for keywords and automatically fits those keywords into their form emails.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is the reply from Marrache & Co. upon receipt of my message informing them of my receieved messages.

The email you received is from someone who is fraudulently using our Mr Daswani's professional details to obtain personal information from people. The matter has been placed in the hands of the relevant authorities.

Kind regards

Marcia Rose-Ellis
Secretary to Jeevan Daswani
Marrache & Co

Redd73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie Pete wrote:
He didn't answer your questions. Scam.

------
73 Westy 2000cc w/dual solex (engine code GE) + aftermarket AC
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow they are getting better, normally its a seriously pathetic attempt.

Quote:
I thank you for your quick response

thats a sure fire way to tell its a scam
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Today, 5:57 am Post subject: Scam or no?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few weeks ago, I posted my Grandfathers pictures (from WWII) on the 11th Armored Divisions website, in hopes of locating other veterns (or relatives) who served with him in Bravo (B) Battery, 491st Armored Field Artillery Battalion. So, Saturday I get this..and for obvious reasons..scam pops to my head..

You bared your ass, and now it's gonna get kicked.I'm not sure what you were thinking.
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Noof wrote:

You bared your ass, and now it's gonna get kicked.I'm not sure what you were thinking.

Like everyone else that has posted requests for information on the 11th Armored site...looking for information. :roll

http://www.11tharmoreddivision.com/guestbook/index.php

It's not like I was going to send the fool my information.... Laughing
Since my grandfather never talked about his experiences (for good reason) and since I have very few photos of him when he was younger - again, due to his rough childhood (father was an abusive drunk is all I heard)..he passed away in '89 and I am hoping to try to put together several books for my grandmother, mother and sister..
Split Box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forward his info to these folks they will skull fuck him seven ways to Sunday.

http://www.419eater.com/
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mynameismud wrote:
And here is the reply from Marrache & Co. upon receipt of my message informing them of my receieved messages.

The email you received is from someone who is fraudulently using our Mr Daswani's professional details to obtain personal information from people. The matter has been placed in the hands of the relevant authorities.

Kind regards

Marcia Rose-Ellis
Secretary to Jeevan Daswani
Marrache & Co

Now email the original dirtbag back and say.... P.S. your scamming amuses me...
dwayne prince
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a SCAM,i promise you.you can contact the authorities where ever to be certain,but it'll wind up being nigerians. hell have some fun with it,go and buy several packs of play money to send them when they ask about expenses. tell them you've never had trouble sending cash and ask if that'll be ok,then get them to send a prepaid shipping envelope-they will eagerly.if they email after recieving it just tell them thats all thats left in the US after they scammed it from everyone,and mention the FBI-they understand that
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: