Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DISK BRAKES UPDATES FOR A 1978-79 VW BUS
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Rosado
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: DISK BRAKES UPDATES FOR A 1978-79 VW BUS Reply with quote

ANY RECOMENDED BOLT ON ,COMPLETE SET FOR THE REAR OF THE BUS.LINKS APPRECIATED;DANNY
Joel Rosado
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: DISK BRAKES UPDATES FOR A 1978-79 VW BUS Reply with quote

COMMON,no one can help me?. I want to upgrade the brakes on my 1978 W BUS.
koho60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: DISK BRAKES UPDATES FOR A 1978-79 VW BUS Reply with quote

Danny:

Keep it stock! Check busdepot.com for all your brake needs. The brakes on a 78 work just fine. (stock)
JEFFRO
Joel Rosado
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: DISK BRAKES UPDATES FOR A 1978-79 VW BUS Reply with quote

i am having some stopping problems with my back brakes. i re do them with new hardware and pads, but is true, is hard to stop after 90 MPH. Yes, is all the speedometer karks ,but the tach keeps going up. i just want it to be safe for my family. I had almost an accident last week do tto the stopping power needed. i know the 78 brakes are graet,but sometimes my bus is loaded and i need moore stopping responce. Maybe if i get to big ship anchors and throw them thru the windows it will help!!!!. I really appreciate the advice. Hey, i almost forgot, i haven't changed the break fluid,. i allways take the old one out once a yera.May me is time to overhaul again. VALVOLINE BRAKE FLUID ON THE WAY. Thanks again;danny
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: DISK BRAKES UPDATES FOR A 1978-79 VW BUS Reply with quote

i just want it to be safe for my family. I had almost an accident last week do tto the stopping power needed.
Like driving 90mph or faster had nothing to do with being unsafe, fool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: DISK BRAKES UPDATES FOR A 1978-79 VW BUS Reply with quote

Danny,what was wrong with my statement? I was just stating a fact. If you complain to Everett about anything that someone writes to you, you may get even less responses. Nobody likes a whiner. Just a suggestion.
camerod
Volksfab

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: DISK BRAKES UPDATES FOR A 1978-79 VW BUS Reply with quote

you can fit your stock front rotors to the rear, and build a caliper braket to accept another pr. of front calipers to the rear, or you can use audi 5000 rear calipers with the built in e-brake, but you will still have to fabricate a bracket, I do not know of any "bolt on" late bus rear disk kits..
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: DISK BRAKES UPDATES FOR A 1978-79 VW BUS Reply with quote

When was the last time you replaced the flexable brake lines? Have a set of stainless braided tefon lines made up and competely flush the system. You can get your front rotors crossdrilled if you find the right machine shop.

Mainly, SLOW DOWN!, your bus isn't made to go that fast and pretty much assures that you and your family will be killed if you wreck (go to a junk yard and look at a few wrecked buses- it's kind of sobering)......
bmx2c4me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: DISK BRAKES UPDATES FOR A 1978-79 VW BUS Reply with quote

Buy a Toyota Sienna and park your bus. My 71 Bus brakes stop it fine. Your fronts are the primary brake anyway, without the right proportioning all you'll do is rear wheel skid to a stop anyway, how outta control is that? There's probably a reason VW used basically same rear brakes from '71 thru the vanagons. They were adequate enough to stop whatever the underpowered motor could pull.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel Rosado
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: DISK BRAKES UPDATES FOR A 1978-79 VW BUS Reply with quote

westy78 ,i don't remember you reply. I ask the moderator to look for any post that was offensive and non related to the post. I'm sorry if yours was deleted. i saw a couple involving some DRUG abuse references to my person and another making fun about the FBI, which i found to be related to the rant i had against that other irresponsable dude( NO NAMES HERE). Sorry again. I don't mind peplies, but i expect some respect as i will with everyone here. The other matter is on lawyers hand. lets forget it and start again. N\My stopping power on the bus is fine. I want beter breaking power. I have a great and powwerfull engine( no details) and when i am on the road, i like speeding and i love making 8 figures at the MALLS parkings. I got caught allready, but i am know for my freindly ways and my friends in the force, who rae over SARGETS, are allwys watching for me.I apologize as a man for the missunderstanding. lets keep in on the theme and keep the remarks out of it. I don't remember yours ,sorry.Getting back to my original post, i am overhauling the break system and that includes BRAKE FLUID, CALIPERS,BANDS, LINES(braided) and hardware. I am getting the kit from BUS DEPOT as allways.THe anchors idea is pretty good to!!!
Joel Rosado
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: DISK BRAKES UPDATES FOR A 1978-79 VW BUS Reply with quote

coolbmx2, you are right. I have to adjust the whole thing. my back brakes are doing the work before the front ones and it squids. Thanks for the advice. By the way, i have a MR2 Toyota,1991 SPECIAL EDITION ,TWIN TURBO and on the 9.8 mark in the 1/4 mile. I am a speed junky.Have been since i was 16 and after all this years( i'm 45) i still get a rush on it.I will die running!!!!.By the way BMX!!!!, you like bikes, i guess.If you do ,you know the feeling when that adrenaline rushes up.Thanks.
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: DISK BRAKES UPDATES FOR A 1978-79 VW BUS Reply with quote

i dont completely understandind you coment "N\My stopping power on the bus is fine. I want beter breaking power."
but from what i can gather, i had my break servo unhooked and i could describe it like this. Maybey when you got your engine the manifolds did not have place to hook up the vacuum line for the brake servo. just a thought some people over look this very important mechanism.
I still think you should slow down.
good luck
lc
Joel Rosado
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: DISK BRAKES UPDATES FOR A 1978-79 VW BUS Reply with quote

verything is hooked up. i just want disk brakes on the back to. need recomendation for a complete kit . I had a 79 with disk brakes on the back but without the parking brake feature. Now the kits are availabe with parking brake to so is time to get a new set for my curently 78 bus.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: DISK BRAKES UPDATES FOR A 1978-79 VW BUS Reply with quote

I put weber 40's on my 2.0 liter and had to drill a hole in the carb manifolds for the vacuum hose. Has been working fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: