Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel tank looks mint?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Fuel tank looks mint? Reply with quote

I just dropped my engine and took out the fuel tank for service. When I got the tank out and peeked into it and looked awesome. I read Ratwell's article on fuel tank restoration so I was prepared for the worst and had already ordered a POR15 fuel tank resto set. Here is how the tank looks:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I will of course be replacing the breather hoses, filler neck, filler tube and my (broken) fuel sender.

I think I will just leave the inside of the tank as it is since it looks mint now. Any thought on this? Should I seal it anyway?
2010: Amsterdam - Cape Town - FIFA World Cup -- 26.000km
2014: New York - Rio de Janeiro - FIFA World Cup -- 27.000km
http://www.oranjetrophy.nl
Camper Special Club Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itlives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do anything to it. "If it isn't broke , don't fix it."
I could only be so lucky. I have to pull mine too- just to replace all the hoses and check it.

BTW -great picture!
towd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not coat it either,, but I'm not a fan of por 15.. or any of the other Rust be gone .. products...

Now you have me wondering what the tank looks like in this 70 I may fix back up.. It's been sitting this last time for 5 years .. But ... I needed some lawn mover gas about 3 months ago ,,,,,

I sucked some out of that bus,,, It had a full tank of gas ...LOL..

The kind that almost makes you puck to smell it
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same pleasant surprise when I pulled our fuel tank while replacing the engine.
Although the tank didn't need any help on the inside, I put a coat of POR-15 on the outside after discovering it had a few patches of rust.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Since I had to pull the tank to install child-seat anchors & replace the fuel gauge sender, I added some foil-bubble wrap to help knock down the engine noise.
I added some to the reverse side of the firewall as well.
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I will just leave it like this, now just have to wait for my new fuel sender and then it'll go back in Cool