Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 Beetle, converted to RHD, electric fuel gauge questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aircooledmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: 65 Beetle, converted to RHD, electric fuel gauge questions Reply with quote

I hav ea '65 Beetle which I have converted to RHD, and have the Australian electric fuel gauge... I'd like to use this electric fuel gauge on the car - but I am uncertain on the sending unit and wiring.

Will I be good to go with an electric fuel sender for a 68+ Beetle, such as this one?

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D919%2D049%2DD

Is there anything else needed, or does the sender just connect directly to the gauge? Do I need a resister, or is it built into the fuel gauge?

As for wiring - it looks like 12V+ switched from the fuse panel to the gauge, and 12V+ to the sender. Is that it?

Guess the worst case scenario is I just TRY and see if it works!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-68 fuel gauges are not the same. I don't know what type of gauge you have from Australia - post a picture? I'm pretty sure that it's going to be a balance-coil style gauge though. Not the thermal style for a 68/later. The sending units are not compatible. I'm thinking yours used either a special sending unit, or the Bus/Ghia type. You can read up on the two styles on this web page:

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/fuel_ga.htm

And you can read about my own experience - where I took a 60's electric guage, one that required a special sending unit which I did not have, which wasn't in the greatest condition anyway, so I gutted it and put in the parts from a ghia or type 3 gauge, and used it with a ghia sending unit. I talked about that in this posting:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=231562&
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there anything else needed, or does the sender just connect directly to the gauge? Do I need a resister, or is it built into the fuel gauge?

There is a small resistor looking part (called a vibrator?), it goes inline between the sender and gauge if I recall correctly. Mounts to the cowl panel, just above the speedo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aircooledmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I'll post up a few photos later this evening... That might help us dig a little deeper...

I guess the most obvious answer is I should have gotten an Australian sending unit with the fuel gauge!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - You'd only need a vibrator - (or that funky zener diode voltage stablizer, something seldom seen in the US but sometimes was installed in other countries on cars with factory option radios) for a thermal style gauge. A balance coil type gauge does not use one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aircooledmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not home yet, so I cant take a picture of mine but... If I remember correctly, its the same as the one on the right in this photo:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, balance coil type of gauge. That won't use the 68/later type of tank unit.
aircooledmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... sorry for the delay! Here's the actual photos of mine. I hadn't noticed before... But it's a 6 volt gauge too...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: