Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad compression test and what next?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

My 69 had a terrible compression test.
15-45-50-20#.
Now, I need a new engine obviously, but what should I expext fromthe seller who sold it to me 'running well.'
The brkae pedal is also to the floor, fumes would certainly kill a canary...
I'm trying to find out what my rights are, and what some of your advice may be.
Thanks ahead of time-
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

Check the compression BEFORE you hand over the dough. Grab ahold of the pulley and try to get it to move front to back. If it's noticable play, avoid it unless its cheap. From your description, your bus sounds like a piece of shit. Did you buy it sight unseen or something? Did you get to take it for a test drive?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

As far as your rights, I believe that falls under: BUYER BEWARE!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

That's what I'm thinking too:(
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

Your compression sounds very low, but somewhat consistent from cylinder to cylinder. Who did the test? Are you sure the gauge and/or method was correct? I don't know for certain, but I don't think an engine would run or even start with those numbers. If it runs then surely the compression is higher than that. Check it again with a different gauge and make sure it's the screw in type that doesn't allow any pressure to escape. Keep your fingers crossed and good luck.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

It runs pretty well, actually, interms of starting right up, accelerating, etc. It just won't boogie.
Any ideas?
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

I'm suprised it would even start at those compressions. When an engine will otherwise start and run smooth but it has no power then you should check your carb, valves, timing, ignition, and distributor advance. Make certain your valves aren't too tight meaning there is no gap between the adjusters and valve stem so the valves won't close all the way. This can obviously cause low compression. Carb problems would probably be more in the line of spitting and sputtering so I would ignore the carb for now if the bus starts and idles well. Check your cap, rotor, points, point gap, condensor, and condition of plugs. Obviously you need to confirm your low compression numbers before bothering with any of this, but I would still be suprised if these compression numbers are accurate.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

Is this your first bus? Busses don't exactly boogie! Good advice gk. Definitely check the tune and the valves and try the test over. If your readings are that low, that thing would probably be smoking a little. What did the plugs look like when they were pulled?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

I's actually my 2nd bus, and I mean even a mild boogie! The pickup is just not quite right. She gets going, but truly dies down to 50 and struggles hard on small hills.
She stalls at any stops. BUT, starts right up and pops around town fine. Really confusing. The former owner replaced the heads 2 years ago, but then she sat for long periods of time.
Get this though, after sitting at the shop for a week, the guy calls me today and tells me to come get the bus! He doesn't want to work on it. Too much hassle. I'm wondering what's really going on. He was supposed to tune her up, replace ignition with Pertronix and replace dist with a Bosch. Plugs, etc... But suddenly he sez the compressions low and by the way, it's too much hassle to work on?
Me confused......
But, yeah, gokayaking, she starts on first or 2nd try, and really had decent push in 1st, 2nd and 3rd... Fourth is sluggish though. Way more sluggish than my last bus.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

that's me again, different computer....
[email protected]
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

What did the plugs look like when they were pulled?

I don't even know if he did the plugs... He was very short and kind of negative on the phone... I think he didn't know what the hell he was doing!!!!!
He claimed to know old vw's but.... I don't know.
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

Count your blessings that you don't have to deal with this jackass mechanic any longer. For whatever reason it sounds like he is blowing a lot of smoke about your bus. Your problems don't sound serious and chances are you just need a decent mechanic to check everything out and make any necessary adjustments. Good luck.
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

My first thought is with gokayaking. I dont think that thing would run at all if the compression was that low. I definately wouldn't think that it could get up to 50mph in say under five minutes Wink. Second thought is find a new mechanic. Did this mechanic do anything else besides check the compression?
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

My '77 acted this way after I had an engine put in (long story....bad mechanic). She wouldn't stay running at stop, had little power, barely made it up hills.

All it was for me was a proper valve adjustment.

If this guy didn't want to work on it, I wouldn't trust a thing he told you. Get another compression test done and see. With those numbers, she shouldn't be moving at all.

-=Rob
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

You guys have no idea how nice is it to hear friendly advice. This guy was being a shiat head. His last comment was that "this job shoud be worth $20,000. I'm in the business of making money!!" I was like, "Whoa dude. Wassup?" Anyways, I am picking her up and getting her to Gregs in Natick,Ma. All the guy does is older VW's and restorations. I'll cross my fingers and take your good energy with me. Thanks! Now read my next question.... On brakes!
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

I don't believe those compression #'s either. It shouldn't even start with that low of compression.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

Well, here's the latest....
New dude on the scene named Joe. Been working on veedubs, has several. I went to his garage and got a tour of his engine collection:) Very cool guy. He sez ignore that test because she did start right up and drive. He looked at and sniffed the plugs and thinks one chamber is gas soaked, but not to get too frantic about the overall engine, especially if she drove all right before. I had a BAD run-in with this mechanic who did the test and had to have my bus towed today off of his property, even though I drove her onto his property. Long story short, you guys are right. the test was f***ed up and the guy didn't know his ass from his elbow. I had her going 60 on the highway, until the single port hit a small hill, of course...
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

Who was this mechanic and where is he located? Maybe you can warn others to stay away from this guy. I know I would have liked to know the good from the bad a couple of times.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:44 am    Post subject: Bad compression test and what next? Reply with quote

Due to slander and libel laws, I would be more than happy to share his name and biz with any folks in southern Massachusetts, but leaving his name on the internet poses problems. But, if you ARE in Mass, please email me and I'll fill you in on all the gory details.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: