Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The crappiest Barndoor being resurrected?
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: The crappiest Barndoor being resurrected? Reply with quote

Ok guys! Who has got the badest, crappiest and most rusted away barndoor that is undergoing restoration at the moment? I think that mine is a candidate but probably not the worse one being worked on. It would be nice too see others in a similar situation. So come on and post pictures of your hopeless barndoor projects Razz

Its all in swedish but the pictures probably says it all Confused

http://www.typ2-klubben.com/blog_/default.asp?blog=226
--------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The crappiest barndoor being resurrected? Reply with quote

nize wrote:
Ok guys! Who has got the badest, crappiest and most rusted away barndoor that is undergoing restoration at the moment? I think that mine is a candidate but probably not the worse one being worked on. It would be nice too see others in a similar situation. So come on and post pictures of your hopeless barndoor projects Razz

I'd suggest that the winner is going to be from South America. It won't likely be the rustiest but for how completely fucked over most of them are, it will be far harder to fix the problems they have than to weld in rust repair panels.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The crappiest barndoor being resurrected? Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
nize wrote:

I'd suggest that the winner is going to be from South America. It won't likely be the rustiest but for how completely fucked over most of them are, it will be far harder to fix the problems they have than to weld in rust repair panels.

You are probably right there! At least I dont have to deal with a baywindow front screen, a cut in sliding door or millions of previous repairs...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in mind but I don't want to offend the owner by suggesting it. It is a Deluxe that I saw in person years ago and it would take seeing it in person in order to understand. It was South American, a total Frankenstein, hacked all over the place, wrong era body sections all over it, and the craziest thing was that it seemed like none of the window holes were square anymore. I was noticing that they were all "squished" in one way or another and after the horribly boogery gas welding on the window sills from previous owners, I'd guess that you would have to individually cut every piece of glass for the Bus as you could certainly never fit one factory piece of glass into the misshapen holes. Those that saw it in person were impressed much the same as I was. Again, not a rusty Bus at all, just distorted in a hundred other ways that would be an absolute nightmare to fix to a high standard. I just don't think that anyone has the desire, time, or money to see a Bus like that through completely and correctly.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta be this one

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247928&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, nize, you have the talent, would you please go get this bus and bring it back to life.

i know you could do it easy, with what i see there. i know it will be a pain, but it would be sick. Smile man i wish that was closer, id go get it. and stash it in my garage. few weeks worth of welding and it would look like a bus again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote:
gotta be this one

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247928&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

That one came to mind and it is positively rough but I'd far rather have it than most any of the South American Barndoors I've ever seen. Rusted and the roof is collapsed but it hasn't been abused, bent, butchered, modified, updated, booger gas welded, and gallons of bondos sculpted all over it, etc.

Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The crappiest barndoor being resurrected? Reply with quote

nize wrote:

What is swedish for "20mm cannon holes in the rear of the bus"?

Your bus is looking good!! That's a lot of work!!
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The crappiest barndoor being resurrected? Reply with quote

Wheelie Pete wrote:
nize wrote:

What is swedish for "20mm cannon holes in the rear of the bus"?

Your bus is looking good!! That's a lot of work!!

You are spot on! It really are 20 mm cannon holes and I cant understand why... There are several holes from smaller caliber bullets too. It seems to have happen to alot of Swedish vans. It was common for them to end up in the woods and I guess people mixed them up with elks or deers Razz

That smashed up deluxe above is another swedish van. It looks so much better already. Thats a hell of a project too.
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got to remember the Kempes panel van. That is also going to be/is an exiting resto... Still not like the South American vans though but the story about how it was found is so cool!

http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=35155
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kempes bus cant possibly go under the title of 'Crappiest barndoor being resurrected'. That thing is a walk in the park compared to alot of others. Thats whats so amazing about it, buried up to its gutter for god knows how long in a seriously wet cold country and dug up looking not half bad.

Also lets not forget that not ALL south american buses are herrendous, there are/have been a 'few' good examples found down there.
52panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want that title Smile

I agree its absolutely no where near as bad as half the south american buses-there is nothing mother nature can throw at a bus that man cant do 10 times worse. Some of those are just mullered and often end up on Uk Ebay.
Some of those south american buses are only fit to be used for chassis number donation for Gerson to build new ones.

The Kempes Bus needs alot of time, some of the damage (accident and crane lifting) to it is not obvious in the pictures and it has no real chassis to speak of just bars underneath to brace it, you can crumble alot of the rails in your fingers Shocked Very Happy .

Let see some brave SA Barndoor restoration pics, some one must be doing one

Anyhow i have only straightened the rear lid so that doesnt count as started Smile
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

52panelvan wrote:
I dont want that title Smile

I agree its absolutely no where near as bad as half the south american buses-there is nothing mother nature can throw at a bus that man cant do 10 times worse. Some of those are just mullered and often end up on Uk Ebay.
Some of those south american buses are only fit to be used for chassis number donation for Gerson to build new ones.

The Kempes Bus needs alot of time, some of the damage (accident and crane lifting) to it is not obvious in the pictures and it has no real chassis to speak of just bars underneath to brace it, you can crumble alot of the rails in your fingers Shocked Very Happy .

Let see some brave SA Barndoor restoration pics, some one must be doing one

Anyhow i have only straightened the rear lid so that doesnt count as started Smile

Sorry mate! I had no intention to throw a shadow over your bus. I just wanted a thread where I could see for sure that I am not the only one that has a bus that consists of more brown metal oxide than good solid metal. Very Happy
52panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nize,

Oh good god none taken at all - the van is what it is - a rusty hulk Very Happy - no getting away from that. The way i look at it is if it hadnt ended up buried it would have been crushed many years ago so im very greatfull its just rust and it can be fixed.

I have been following your progress on your van, excellent work on your chassis- keep the pics and updates coming.

Cheers
Mark
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymouse wrote:
dude, nize, you have the talent, would you please go get this bus and bring it back to life.

i know you could do it easy, with what i see there. i know it will be a pain, but it would be sick. Smile man i wish that was closer, id go get it. and stash it in my garage. few weeks worth of welding and it would look like a bus again.

I would love an early barndoor panelvan to dig in to but that is just too much work! There will not be so much left of the original van after a resto but still it is the world oldest known RHD until today. That might make it worth saving. If I did not have my current project I would try to save it. Now there is just no more time.

I have a 64 singlecab waiting for rest to. It is so incredible good compared to the vans listes here Very Happy

If I would find a really early Porsche 356 then things would come into a completely different situation but the odds for that seem low luckily so I guess I will keep the pictures coming.
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity, where is that van (the panel from the previous post)located at??
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

52panelvan wrote:
Hey Nize,

Oh good god none taken at all - the van is what it is - a rusty hulk Very Happy - no getting away from that. The way i look at it is if it hadnt ended up buried it would have been crushed many years ago so im very greatfull its just rust and it can be fixed.

I have been following your progress on your van, excellent work on your chassis- keep the pics and updates coming.

Cheers
Mark

You are right there Mark! Lucky it was burried! Wink

By the way your resto work is really excellent too and is really inspiring for me. After seeing your rear wheel arch I decided to make my own too Very Happy
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie Pete wrote:
Just out of curiousity, where is that van (the panel from the previous post)located at??

Out in a swamp somewhere in the middle of Sweden. Very Happy
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bus had the whole underneath replaced, chassis rails included

Although from the outside now you'd never guess it, all you can see are replaced sills and dog legs

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
56TIMOTEO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Crappiest barn door Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, what ever happened to the super early (maybe earliest) single cab of Jeff Walters? I remember he had it acid dipped, and about half of it never came out of the tank!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: