Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 417, 418, 419 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Top Picture......."Our experienced and Skilled Staff will Repair your Pride And Joy in Our Modern and Well Stocked Facility" Thank You From the Barely Competent Garage Staff of One.
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Coil patiently waiting for electricity while the mechanic is taking yet another break.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Turning the rotors and finalizing the front brakes to complete the ball joint install. I knocked these out during my break at work. Wink

mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Rotors are looking good!!
Tuna Tim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

The past week has seen me getting my old friend ready for a long winter:

- Washed and waxed
- Installed Koni front shocks (will do the rears next year)
- New radio
- Installed heated seat pads; driver & passenger
- Cleaned air cleaners
- Installed LED headlamps and dash lights
- Installed the winter wheels/tires
- Changed oil and filter
- Painted exhaust system
- Adjusted valves (really didn't need it)

Bring it on Jack Frost !
Dual 40 Dells
Unilite
Thunderbird Extractor
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

inspect, clean, repair. Running a circuit for fuel pump, hook up and check today .
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Well, got a bunch of wires cleaned up behind the Instrument panel, all the ground wires cleaned and re fastened. Ran the ground wire for the add on switches, one red lighted, one blue. Found a light bulb socket just hanging out, found a place for it near the heater control area. tiny bulbs they are. Pulled the cable controlling the defrost/floor blend valve, fixed it with a length of ball point pen hose clamped on each end. no more separated cable. Works smooth on the bench. have my E Clip ready for a install and test tomorrow. Pretty wet on the driveway, worked inside the cab today. Probably run a power wire to the 2 switches, and pick one to hook to the electric fuel pump. Wire is run to that area on the passenger side. Onward thru the fog, as Oat Willie said.

Jashley1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hey guys, i am having some difficulties and wonder if anyone out there has had the same issue. Recently upgraded to a 78 bay window and this will be my first bus. I am going over everything and notice that when i take the key out everything still has power to it. I then went and unplugged the ignition and it still is having power to everything. Would you guys know what this is coming from?

Thanks!
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Got the switches powered up, driver side kick panel re mounted, repaired cable to the defrost/floor heat lever, installed. works smooth now. headlights work, dashboard lights work, wipers working. Ran out of daylight. Will hook up power wire to fuel pump tomorrow, God willing. Cleaning all the ground wires in the front cab area helped brightness on the dashboard lights.
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Ducting hooked up from flapper boxes to y tube running under floor. was looking to get taillight gaskets to replace the 40 year old ones. Went to Halsey VW store, Mike at the counter had new repro taillight assemblies for a 20 $ bill each. next project!!
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Put the bus away for the winter this afternoon.

Winter projects will involve the brake system, the exhaust leak, the loose exhaust stud.....
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Renewed front turn signal housing and lens seals passenger side, cleaned connections, renewed the bulbs. Iced in for now, driver side later in week when the ice melts. have a new dome light to put in, may do that one first. Considering a SCAT c25 cam and solid lifters. Says it is good up to 4k rpm, any thoughts? Anyone running the square cut cam/crank gears? Going to have to mike the crankshaft when it comes out, probably can swap the crank gears in house here. Any recommended camshaft bearings? Wanted to put new cylinder studs in, anyone know the sources for these? Thanks, Mike.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

In continuing with the front end rebuild on my 71 camper. I just completed going through this spare steering box I had my parts stash just for this project. once the old steering box is out I will go through that one too and keep it as a spare for my two '71 type 2's. Cool

I used black brake caliper paint to paint it. I think that will hold up better in compairison to standard rattle can black enamel.

This will be installed along with a new drag link and new center pivot bushings and pin kit.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

mike77777 wrote:
Any recommended camshaft bearings? Thanks, Mike.

I have been wondering this as well. Does one still need to purchase two sets to get one full circle thrust bearing?
808bays_for_days
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Just finished upgrading the old beat up stock oil cooler on my '69 to a nice new dog house style oil cooler Very Happy, and yes I remembered the hoover bit! Next up are the brakes.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
mike77777 wrote:

I have been wondering this as well. Does one still need to purchase two sets to get one full circle thrust bearing?

Air cooled.net sells a double thrust cam bearing setup. Beware of the new Kolbenschmidt brand bearings; they’re junk compared to the Mahle or Silverline bearings. Also beware of thrust lubrication issues if you go double thrust. Flute the sides of the thrust surfaces too allow adequate lubrication for camshaft end play.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
mike77777 wrote:

Air cooled.net sells a double thrust cam bearing setup. Beware of the new Kolbenschmidt brand bearings; they’re junk compared to the Mahle or Silverline bearings. Also beware of thrust lubrication issues if you go double thrust. Flute the sides of the thrust surfaces too allow adequate lubrication for camshaft end play.

Robbie

Any chance you have a photo to show the fluting? I think I grasp what you are saying, but that thousand word picture might help.
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation on bearing manufacturer. Mike
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Sadly, she has been sitting for the last three months as I have been away. First thing I did when I got back was check the oil, hop in to that driver's seat, fire her up, and took her for a Christmas spin. This was the result!

Link
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Checking in, have gotten the driver side head,pistons and rods removed on the 77 7 passenger I own. Scored a set of old stock Kolbenschmidt made in Germany rod bearings from the VW place on Halsey Blvd down in Portland. Got some piston smearing going on. Have a total of 5 pistons , 3 are 94mm mahle with the dish, two are still in the passenger side of the engine. My new Camshaft and lifters shipped today. New oil pump is also on the way from Cali.. Good time of the year to do some wrenching. Local hardware store had the brass fittings to set up the dual carb fuel feed, and vacuum lines needed for manifold balance, and brake booster. Mike at the counter helped me out, nice guy. report more as the job unfurls.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 417, 418, 419 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Page 418 of 463

Jump to: