Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 421, 422, 423 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I put this in.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 1968 Campmobile
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

^^^ Did you replace the bushing? A tricky job with the engine in place, but it can be done, with patience.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
^^^ Did you replace the bushing? A tricky job with the engine in place, but it can be done, with patience.

No. I struggled for a bit, then came in and looked it up. Then I talked to Adam. I decided I'll swap it out next time the motor comes out, probably next month to replace rusty parcel tray.

My 1968 Campmobile
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

No. I struggled for a bit, then came in and looked it up. Then I talked to Adam. I decided I'll swap it out next time the motor comes out, probably next month to replace rusty parcel tray.

If you have pending engine R&R plans, that is definitely the better time to do this job. It will take about two minutes, and that includes opening a beer.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Did ya put any grease on the shaft that slides on the bushing? Always a good idea.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Replaced front pads and rotors. New rubber and metal lines.

Then put the engine seal in.

Adjusted the timing Best could but still need to sync the carbs.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:

Shocked. . . . Shocked . . . . Shocked. . . . Shocked . . . . Shocked . . . . Shocked
You are a brave man for posting that pic.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Replaced the rear crankshaft seal (fan end). Lubed and adjusted the shifter, the old grease was officially soap. And I finally got around to installing and tuning my idle valve (my bus is powered by fuel and spark megasquirt). No more starting with low rpm and then having high rpm when it's hot, now it's the opposite.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Finally got a replacement NOS Escutcheon plastic spacer for the sliding door handle since the original one was cracked and constantly annoying me! Getting that handle out was a son-of-a...

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
orangebug60guy wrote:

Shocked. . . . Shocked . . . . Shocked. . . . Shocked . . . . Shocked . . . . Shocked

That's called FREESTYLE!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
KentPS wrote:
orangebug60guy wrote:

That's called FREESTYLE!

I can't tell from the pic...
... Is that drivetrain blown? Think Shocked Laughing Razz

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

BackwardsInHeels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Replaced the sliding door seal yesterday (the 4th of the 4 doors) and got the passenger seat put back together and prepped for reupholstry today.

I'm looking forward to the NW Bug Run and hoping I get all of the projects done in time.
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Today was the day I really got some work done.. Yesterday I bought some new OLD bus front seats and stripped them to the frames.. I took the driver's seat back to the salvage yard today and asked to exchange it for another. After pulling the upholstery off I found that it had rot in the tubes and at least two broken springs. Wandered around the place, found a few driver's seats in buses but they just would not budge/slide forward .. Then I found one with all of the front windows still intact and its seat came out great. I stripped it today and it was really nice and dry. I got to pull the horrid aftermarket/other car seats out and toss them in the driveway. The front of the bus has some rust issues.. but not horrible. I will replace the floor, but the rust in the seat pillars is just going to have to stay for now. Cleaned the pedestals out and off, sprayed all the rusty areas with some rust converter, it took most of the day. My buddy was under the bus removing the stupid plastic air horns and we ran the new vacuum line to the booster to the engine. It seemed to give me a lot of pedal, but I was driving it around the block with a 2 X 6 as a driver's seat. Looking forward to next weekend when I get to cuss like a sailor trying to reupholster the seats. TMI covers and seat foam is on the way.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Replaced my Antenna. Which, instead of a 10 minute job, was a huge pain in the ass having to remove the under-dash AC unit. Used the wolfsburg west one, seems like good quality. Radio works anyhow.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Painted my rusty wiper arms.
Looking out is so much nicer now, I guess it truly is the little things.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Rolled the ODO over for the 2nd time...

I purchased the Bus from my aunt and uncle who bought it new and all indications are it has 162k on it when I bought it as my uncle had the engine rebuilt (I have the paperwork) in 1984 @ 126k miles and parked it 2 years later. So from the info I have this should be it's 2nd rollover.

1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

camit34 wrote:
Rolled the ODO over for the 2nd time...

I purchased the Bus from my aunt and uncle who bought it new and all indications are it has 162k on it when I bought it as my uncle had the engine rebuilt (I have the paperwork) in 1984 @ 126k miles and parked it 2 years later. So from the info I have this should be it's 2nd rollover.

Awesome sauce!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Time sell that rare 00000 mile bus.
Laughing
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Yesterday, I removed three windshields. They all need replacing, and I figured, why not get the glass guys to install 3 at once! It's a job I have done many times before, but I will be glad to have someone else do these 3.

These are for the 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 9-seat Wild Westerner (both of which are already sold, so I am being a nice guy), and the 1975 single cab.

Last evening, I cleaned them up and treated them all with Ospho. Aside from two pin holes in the single cab, everything looked pretty good! I was definitely nervous about having them all out at the same time, but was pleasantly surprised.

This morning, I painted the window sills (3 different colors, of course).

Tomorrow, Speedy Glass comes to install new glass!

EDIT:

All windshields in, and they look great. The installer even put in the plastic silver deluxe trim on the Wild Westerner. Yay!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD

Last edited by jtauxe on Fri May 18, 2018 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 421, 422, 423 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Page 422 of 463

Jump to: