Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 423, 424, 425 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zambia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Installed a set of, Nate at Wagenswest babystang disk brake kit. While doing that I saw that I needed two ball joints and one adjustable tie rod replaced, so that turned into four ball joints, two tie rods and new front shocks being replaced. The babystang kit was to address the issue of lack of braking after I installed a 0 mile 1776 from Scat and a new Rancho transmission late last year. Bus drives nice and stops on a dime. Luckily I installed 3 point seat belts awhile ago. There is going to come a time that everything on my 69 deluxe will be new lol.
Also added something that I had my eye on for sometime and that was deluxe bumper trim. Looks good too!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Davydomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Zambia wrote:

Love that number plate!

"Mum, Dad ………. I'm Bay"

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet. Jean-Jaques Rousseau
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Five months at the body shop. It’s always “two more weeks.”

airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

xyzzy wrote:
Installed a thermostat.

That is some beautiful hardware you have for your thermostat. Nice. Which thermostat did you go with? The newly produced ones?
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Substituted green LEDs for the dash lights. Adds a nice retro glow. Not as bright as the picture depicts. The tach is clearly modern, but does not look too bad.

plimthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I resisted the temptation to set fire to mine.
Does everyone go through the ' I've bitten off more than I can chew with this one' motion whilst trying to revive one of these things....?
My 67 split was a doddle compared to this! Looks like a bought a wreck that was half ( well not even half!) completed and a ton of wrong/incorrect year parts were thrown in box with it. Ive had to contend with wrong year parts mixed in with correct parts, early/late mix and now my door lock mystery is throwing me over the edge.

Having a wobble.....need guidance Sad

Tony
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

SBL74 wrote:
Substituted green LEDs for the dash lights. Adds a nice retro glow. Not as bright as the picture depicts. The tach is clearly modern, but does not look too bad.

Thanks for the inspiration, I just put my tach in the same place. Same tach even. Just yesterday.

Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hello, A Birthday Drive...
I let him stretch his legs. Test drive sorta.... Gus, did fine... Kinda like a birthday drive, he was born June of 1971 as a Tourist Program Westfalia Campmobile. Note: no tags on right dog leg... It's original paint, no collisions, just years of campgrounds dings and dents. Which the original owner was more than happy to give the details on... The original interior is all still there and pretty much unmolested by the PO, the only thing missing is the tent, according to the M-code. Yes, I do have the poptop for it...
He's not a restored gararge king, he was a families weekend camping/exploration rig, until the kids all got older.... Kept in good original shape.. with no rust. It's been up here most of his years.
But, back to the birthday drive.....
Well, yesterday, I checked the oil level and went on a 100 mile cruz up the 395 too Mono Lake and back. Stopped off at the Mobile Mart for some grub and fuel(damn, no live music on Sat. but, the fish tacos were good). Went back through the June Lake loop and stopped off at Silver Lake to cool off my feet. Then continued through June Lake and not stopping at the Tiger Bar or the JLBrewery.... that was hard.
Then, it was back to Mammoth Lakes taking the scenic loop back in... The drive was fine and Gus and I, even passed another Slower vehicle. Given it was a U-Haul...But, We still passed him... not bad for a couple old guys.
Here are a few pics of the day.
First pic: is coming up on Mono Lake on the right in the distance.
Second pic: Looking up towards Tioga Pass before the flats between June and Lee Vining
Third pic: Just cruzing. Slight head wind, 85+F, 5% humidity no reason to push the stock 1600 DP at 8,000'. I'm in no hurry... Plus, the scenery is nice.. the hills are still green.
Fourth and Fifth Pics: Silver lake looking up into Carson Peak....

All in all, it was a good day for a local drive. I'm glad I took Gus out yesterday for today it is very smoky and we have ashes in the air... They have a ECO-burn going on the west side and we get the smoke coming over the Sierra Crest. The only plus for the forest fire is that the Heli crew is staging out of Mammoth and the Heli site is only about a 1/4 mile out the front door of my shop. So watching the two aircraft doing laps all afternoon until dusk was kinda cool... One hauling gear and the other hauling ground troops. Not so much today though.
So today, I should give Gus a little looking over/under and some tire kickin just to make sure all is good...

panic_fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Gave it a nice bath and a tank of ethanol free gas. Its so damn hot and humid in Atlanta right now, it is almost miserable to drive.... C'mon Fall.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291988&highlight=

"Still learnin the way around my VW bay"
Teal Bay Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jamminator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Good morning all!

I'm about to take by 70 camper on a 2-week trip through the coast and woods of Maine.
http://jamieflorio.wixsite.com/brunosworld

I've done a lot to "Bruno", but there's one thing I've not figured out...my dash light is out. Where is that bulb?? anyone know?
thanks - Jamie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zambia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Isn't that the best rear end you have ever seen*?

*On a VW bus.

Installed a new bumper after I painted it and installed deluxe bumper trim.
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
xyzzy wrote:
Installed a thermostat.

That is some beautiful hardware you have for your thermostat. Nice. Which thermostat did you go with? The newly produced ones?

Yeah from Awesome Powdercoat. However, the thermostat itself failed yesterday. I've emailed Awesome Powdercoat and they said to send it back for a replacement under warranty.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Jamminator wrote:
my dash light is out. Where is that bulb?? anyone know?
thanks - Jamie

Have a great time. Start a new Post and post some pix for those of us stuck behind a computer.

First take a look at the owners manual, the headlight switch has a dash light dimmer switch built into it.
Pull the headlight switch and turn the knob clockwise all the way. IIRC this is the brightest setting. If not counter clockwise all the way.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/manuals70.php

Check your fuses and give them all a spin. Sometimes they loose contact and spinning them reconnects them.

Instrument light bulbs are located on the back of the instrument panel. The three White wires with the Red Dots are the instrument lights.
- N 17 751 2 = 2721 12v 1.2w Instrument/Warning light bulb
2723 12v 2.3w bulbs can be used for brighter Instrument illumination. (note: not to be used for warning idiot lights)
Light Bulb Chart T2

Safe travels
Tcash
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

SBL74 wrote:

How did you get your heater/fresh air control to light up like that?
Zambia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Installed custom made fresh air and heater levers. I had stock levers that had the rubber red and blue bumpers ripped off and the 90 degree angle bent straight so the dash panel could be slid over the levers. As the great OZ said "Don't look behind the curtain!" 50 year old bus wiring equals a rat's nest and I am getting behind the dash panel quite often to slowly clean up that mess.
With these new levers, the knobs unscrew so not only do they look like something out of Star Trek but they are functional also and they match my other dash knobs.

justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Zambia wrote:
Installed custom made fresh air and heater levers. I had stock levers that had the rubber red and blue bumpers ripped off and the 90 degree angle bent straight so the dash panel could be slid over the levers. As the great OZ said "Don't look behind the curtain!" 50 year old bus wiring equals a rat's nest and I am getting behind the dash panel quite often to slowly clean up that mess.
With these new levers, the knobs unscrew so not only do they look like something out of Star Trek but they are functional also and they match my other dash knobs.

Very nice! They look great.

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Im sick about this post. My baby 70 red deluxe, a driver and a project 70 tin top were destroyed. The good news is this from the Carr fire (81,000 acres & only 5% contained and about 40,000 evacuated.) in redding calif and has destroyed well over 500 homes. On my road of about 60+ homes mine is of about 3 that survived the fire. To go along with the good news is a newly painted 67 beetle we are restoring and a 70 ghia vert were left in the garage and are at this time ok.

I had full or actual cash value on my 70 deluxe , tintop non op and no insurance.

Sad.

70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hello
Sorry to see your loss.
But, you still have a home and as you noted, others were not as lucky as you were/are.
Hopefully, your property insurance will take care of the non oped vehicle.
The bright side: You still have a home and your health, the other stuff can be replaced in time. Keep your head up and all will be fine in time.
I don't know what you're going through, but I was down in Ventura Ca. after the fire went from Santa Paula to just south of Santa Barbra. There, I have friends that lost everything they owned, but for, what they had on their backs and were able to stuff into their vehicle before leaving..
Count your blessings, you are one of the lucky ones.... But, I know it still sucks.. Keep, that chin up.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I'm 99% done powder coating my engine parts, I just have the trans mount bar to do. Not pictured are the two cylinder tins and pushrod tubes, I put them on already. Unfortunately I'll probably have to farm out the large rear tin as its too big for my oven or otherwise look into making a pregnant oven.

All powder was from Eastwood.
Here are the colors I used:
Semi gloss black (most tin parts)
Cast aluminum (fan housing)
Machine gray (push rod tubes-not pictured)
Squirrel gray (intake manifolds and egr pipes/filter)
Red wagon (dip stick)

xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I'm 99% done powder coating my engine parts, I just have the trans mount bar to do

That turned out amazing!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 423, 424, 425 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Page 424 of 463

Jump to: