Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 439, 440, 441 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson

Last edited by Jetfxr69 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richard123vmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Today I correctly adjusted the rear brakes (1971). The brakes were working well enough but should be much better now. The handbrake now is correct.
On my bus, the adjustment holes are destroyed not by rust but by apparent prying on recalcitrant adjusters. I can't image exactly how that happened (before I got the bus.) The answer to this is to have noles spot welder on. But the lack of a good hole to pry against makes the job more difficult.
One thing I have never seen said (maybe too obvious) is the inadvisability of adjusting just one adjuster on a wheel. the exposed shafts should be some kind of even. Otherwise you have one piston sticking out and next it will leak. Also, that you have to loosen one to tighten the other. The pedal now feels high & hard.
mehran_mo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

just painted engine bay plate

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Stage 4

View 1

View 2
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I recently installed a Toguard 10" Rearview mirror dash and backup cam. It's a touchscreen, 1080p / 720p (you pick which direction is higher res), has the parking monitor, etc. I have only roughed it in, mounting the rear camera on the bottom of the headbanger with masking tape (obviously inside the rear hatch).

Here's a link to the product - it was featured as an Amazon Prime Lightning Deal - enough of a discount for me to pull the trigger:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07PFPJ2DJ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_tHINDbNC03DJG

So far, so good. I have not connected the signal wire to the rear brakes yet, so no auto switching yet. I'm using it always on to improve rear visibility. It's great at night, though headlights do have flare. During the day, there is a lot of glare off the screen, so I have to play with the angle. All in all, an improvement over the stock rearview mirror in both reflection and field of view.

Here are a couple of crappy pictures in action at night - they don't do the image quality justice.

I should note too - the kit came almost complete (needed microSD card) and with cords long enough to access power in the front (stock cigarette lighter plug for now) and run the camera to the back (snaked along headliner on drivers side).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Today I shocked the guys working at Lowe's when I went to pick up 15 bundles of roofing shingles with my bus. Not only did it take the 1200 lbs like it was nothing, the pallet of them also fit through the door with about a half inch to spare on each side.

curiously, my bus sits really high on the shocks (needs new shocks?) and 1200 lbs seemed to put the suspension more like where it supposed to be
1974 super beetle (2, maybe can be made into one)

1969 delta blue deluxe bus, half-camperized and being worked on
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

HoboBus wrote:
Hobobus got some groovy retro AM/FM sound, to replace a really crappy cassette head unit that was in there when I bought the bus. This thing looked good, but the power kept cutting in and out, the goofy metal cage thing it mounts in wouldnt tighten on the dash, and it didn't even sound that good. It was time for it to go.

Custom made an aluminum faceplate to fit the new old radio.

Got the radio at a swap meet for $3. Cool I usually buy these $2-5 things when I see them. This one works and sounds great.

It only had one knob, and I couldn't believe my collection of old radio knobs couldnt produce a knob that fits. Weird. I need to hoard more stuff! Laughing (Don't tell my GF that.)

Then took the bus to the pet store - Got a cool pic.

Rockin that new old Audiovox sound. Fozzy approves.

Hobo

If you're coming to Transporterfest sunday oct 13th, I'll try to remember my huge bag of random radio knobs!
1974 super beetle (2, maybe can be made into one)

1969 delta blue deluxe bus, half-camperized and being worked on
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

lastchancevw wrote:

If you're coming to Transporterfest sunday oct 13th, I'll try to remember my huge bag of random radio knobs!

Damn lastchance I just saw this.

Thanks for the offer! I was there and camped Saturday night in Salem.

I did find a pair of knobs off an old tv or something I had that do fit, but they look a little goofy. But, works for now. Thanks!

Hobo

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Ride_On wrote:
I recently installed a Toguard 10" Rearview mirror dash and backup cam. It's a touchscreen, 1080p / 720p (you pick which direction is higher res), has the parking monitor, etc. I have only roughed it in, mounting the rear camera on the bottom of the headbanger with masking tape (obviously inside the rear hatch).

Thanks for posting this. Been watching a few of them on eBay. Might pull the trigger for the holidays.

Weather has been shit plus house stuff breaking left and right, but finally got my rack tossed together and up.

Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:

Weather has been shit plus house stuff breaking left and right, but finally got my rack tossed together and up.

Scott, youve come along way this summer/fall on this. It looks great! Honestly cant say I saw this happening when I stopped by a few months ago. Looked like it was alot to get done, and it sure was, and you did it. Nice job. If you get that windshield in, and decide to take it for a spin before snow falls, hit me up. Im trying to delay parking mine for another couple weeks.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
ImAddicted wrote:

Scott, youve come along way this summer/fall on this. It looks great! Honestly cant say I saw this happening when I stopped by a few months ago. Looked like it was alot to get done, and it sure was, and you did it. Nice job. If you get that windshield in, and decide to take it for a spin before snow falls, hit me up. Im trying to delay parking mine for another couple weeks.

Thanks, I wasn't sure when you were over if I'd get much done either, seemed like there was always something coming up:(. I'm pleased with the progress, really hope the weather holds off for another few weeks so that can do the windshield the rest of the little stuff that needs to be wrapped up. Definitely up for a cruise when that happens. Notice I say "when" cuz I'm staying positive that it the four letter word that starts with "S" and ends in "NOW" won't hit us early again this year!
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
richard123vmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

On-going brake job. I planned to use ceramic pads and turn the rotors.
But when I go down to it, it appears the rotors are already way under spec ( if my crude measuring setup is right). I will have the checked but in the meantime I ordered a pair of new rotors.

Those old rotors still worked well except for glazing. But under spec is no good. And they could not be turned. If I were tight for money, I would keep the old rotors and use soft pads. I am not actually sure what the risk of thin disk is, but I don't want to find out.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

richard123vmt wrote:
On-going brake job. I planned to use ceramic pads and turn the rotors.
But when I go down to it, it appears the rotors are already way under spec ( if my crude measuring setup is right). I will have the checked but in the meantime I ordered a pair of new rotors.

Those old rotors still worked well except for glazing. But under spec is no good. And they could not be turned. If I were tight for money, I would keep the old rotors and use soft pads. I am not actually sure what the risk of thin disk is, but I don't want to find out.
. There’s a recent thread over in the Vanagon section where a UK owner had his rotor snap in 2 pieces from thinness of metal and rust. Fair warning... Shocked
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

After owning my current bus for over 25 years, I finally managed to break the rod that holds the passenger side visor to it's little, white plastic piece. Now then: I would like to have a word with the design team who decided that the driver side visor could be swiveled out of the way, but that the passenger side visor would always be imprisoned.

I had clumsily removed a silver, sun-shield-light-blocking-protector-thing, and, in doing so, inadvertently snapped off the passenger visor's plastic rod. The visors are almost 50 years old and tattered, so it was a good time to replace them anyway. There are a couple companies producing them, one being Wolfsburg West in Los Angeles. That's what I bought.

But it can't ever be simple, can it?

I am very happy that repro parts even exist at all, but I would be much happier if they even fit. It took me a lot of head-scratching and searching for tools just to replace the visor. The new one didn't fit the old spacer, so I had to locate my rat-tail file in order to ream it out.

I had a spare, right-side-only, plastic clip, but the new repro rod at the end of the visor wouldn't fit into the old clip's hole. I was going to drill out the hole so that the repro rod would fit, but my rechargeable drills needed more recharging just in order to work. (If it isn't one thing, it's another!)

Eventually, I had one side up. It took 30 minutes to do (what should have been) a 30-second job.

Afterwards, I had to lay down upon my chaise lounge in the powder room and sniff smelling salts.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Pulled into garage for organ donation.

This 78 fuel injection motor will be going into buddys 79 westy.

This motor runs like a top and is completely original right down to the proper fuel hoses and clamps still in place, ( they will of course be replaced now however). Too bad the bus itself is junk. Its been rolled and the frame is punchy throughout.

Organ recipient.

Will be stripping down to the short block, and based on inspection of oil and screen, will just be cleaned up, re-ringed, honed, lapped, resealed, painted, and reinstalled for next spring. What a treat to find such a complete and smooth running 40+ year old motor to work with. Nice to be able to run it and assess it before deciding what to do.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Don't have pictures handy at the moment, but last weekend I decided to try some Free-All on nearly all the moving parts of the sliding door and I'm very pleased that the door now pops open single-handedly and closes nicely!

Need to replace the nylon block glider thingy, but other than that it all works much better than I expected!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Took the fiance to lunch Wednesday. Las Olas, been there forever, right on the beach. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Pulled into garage for organ donation.

Man you guys with the big shops sure are fortunate. That's a great looking shop.

I cleaned the garage from this summer's projects, and managed to get HoboBus inside for the winter.

It didn't fit by much! Literally only an inch or so to spare. Shocked Almost needed to deflate the tires a little.

But it'll be inside all winter! Woohoo!
Hobo.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

What’s this “garage” thing you speak of?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

This morning was my self-inflicted tasking.
Added a carriage bolt to the missing bracket for holding down the seat pedestal in the crew cab area. No more rattle.
Replaced a grease fitting, pumped a tube and a half into the front beam. Added the missing circlip to the speedometer cable.
Cruised for an hour to appreciate my work. Thank you Saturday.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richard123vmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Today I installed new front discs. I am still waiting for the correct pads. I got these discs for $41 each and free shipping--which was a coup. They also come with a special finish which does not need to be cleaned off. I expect a great improvement in braking.
I have also been dicking around with the dash lights.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 439, 440, 441 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Page 440 of 463

Jump to: