Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 413, 414, 415 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

After, oh, two-ish+ years of not being used AT ALL I finally started her yesterday Shocked

She sat in front of our [well] pump house and I had a big tarp over her so the only thing that was exposed were the lower half of the tires. Pulled the tarp off and she looked great. Jacked up the rear to put some boards under the left rear tire as it was the only one not resting on asphalt so it sank a couple inched into the earth. There was very little gas in the tank and I added some gas drier (I initially stored her with gas stabilizer, too) then a 1/2 gallon of fresh gas. The batteries were long dead (starter and camping) but I put them on a charger for over 5 hours. During that wait I filled the tires to 40psi just to make it easier to push her. Ya know, after that many years of just sitting the lowest pressure of the four tires was 15psi, the rest were about 20psi-ish. She runs with the Hankook truck tires and they are great!

I tried pushing her from her spot but it was too much for my bad back. So I put the key in the ignition and turned it to the ACC position and everything lit up -- good. I then turned the key to START and she cranked -- good. As she was cranking I heard a cylinder or two fire Shocked Whut? So I started cranking again and she tried to fire again. Third or fourth attempt and she fired! You could hear the air crack from my wife whipping her head around when she heard our Bus come to life Laughing We were both surprised. I should mention that this was a FI engine but I put carbs on it since the FI was being too #$%!ing unreliable and causing me too much time trouble-shooting and fixing (and I actually LOVE FI...old age is making grumpy and less patient). The engine compartment looks just like the day I stored her, you would never know she sat unused for that long.

Drove her down the driveway, around on the street, and back into her parking spot -- but with all four tires on asphalt this time Wink Now that she's moveable she will be taking up the spot where our '76 Apache trailer was in my shop. The reason? I plan on putting my '95 OBD-I VW Jetta engine in her Cool It will take time cuz my Jetta (with Peloquin LSD) is a kick to drive and I will need a replacement daily driver...

[ Aug. 16th - Correction: I actually looked at the license plate tags, the month was 8 and the year was 12 Shocked So the Bus went untouched for 5 years but one would never know it Very Happy ]
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I changed out my tie rods. They were old for sure. I could grab them and move them around like nothing there was so much play. I had about 1/4"-1/2" of play in the wheel when grabbing it from 3 and 9. Not anymore though!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

New:

Master cylinder
Wheel cylinders
Wheel bearings
Brake hoses
Brake shoes
Bowden tube
Clutch cable
Axle boots
Shift bushings
Shift rod boots
Shift coupler
Fuel filler hose
Breather hoses

Rebuilt:
CV's
Clutch pedal
Brake pedal

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I sold her--- Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Shocked Shocked This bus needed an adventure and I had 3 others- so when some wayward desperate adventurers showed up- I made them a deal they couldn't refuse.
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1681926.jpg[/[img]

img]
[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!

Last edited by williamM on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
I sold her--- Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Shocked Shocked This bus needed an adventure and I had 3 others- so when some wayward desperate adventurers showed up- I made them a deal they couldn't refuse.

Is this Ben and his latest gal? What bus did you sell him?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

the grey 73 hitopper from Monrovia Ca. I got to keep the entire interior. And got it running the other day- very light rod knock till the OP comes up- but they want a new motor any way.

I personally like them both - and they tolerated me and my dog with dignity.

Don't step in any!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

And you even treated them to the World's Best Pizza???
You are a prince among men. Dancing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Dining with VW bus adventure celebrities!
Ben has shared some magical moments and experiences with us all through his endless obsession of adventure, always sharing love and beautiful imagery.
Got even sweeter when he became Hollywood, the cameras and drones created a whole new perspective and dynamic capturing the awesomeness of their remote campsites and views.
Ready to see more adventures with him, and whomever he may pick up along the way.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
And you even treated them to the World's Best Pizza???
You are a prince among men. Dancing

Yes- and a good time was had by all.

Don't step in any!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Very Happy I was really surprised and glad to see the grey whale with a future.

From what I can tell- they will have 6 mo visas coming their way- so I've been collecting every part the bus will need for a more or less "uninterrupted " journey-

Leah wanted a swivel seat -check
Ben wants a modern motor you don't have to live under - check ish-
Both want more power- remember they crossed the Andes 7 times--(you kind of have to do that on purpose.) -see above
Wanted indoor security for their stuff- check
No rust--does the battery count- check

So - looks really like this solid Cali Az. bus is going to do it-- Here's hoping.

Don't step in any!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
the grey 73 hitopper from Monrovia Ca. I got to keep the entire interior. And got it running the other day- very light rod knock till the OP comes up- but they want a new motor any way.

I think Ben gets a bad rap. Not many people would WANT his lifestyle and 24-7 adventures on the road. It wouldn't be my cup of tea, even when I was his age. I do enjoy his video's as well.

I've PM'd with him and agree, he is a nice guy.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
kruno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Link

'05 renault modus Smile a little gallic gay car
toXic rust
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
williamM wrote:
the grey 73 hitopper

I think Ben gets a bad rap. Not many people would WANT his lifestyle and 24-7 adventures on the road. It wouldn't be my cup of tea, even when I was his age. I do enjoy his video's as well.

I've PM'd with him and agree, he is a nice guy.

I bet even Skills pays for a video or music once in a while-

So how come - when some one new shows up with something everybody (150, thou on the net now) wants to listen to and watch-- there's a problem parting with a few bucks or buying a t-shirt---once in a while?

They don't have a "gofuckyou" account- they sold chances on their bus--Oh ya they actually fixed it and gave it away.

After all this time they are finally getting enough attention to sell a little advertising- when did you watch TV wo ads?

So gotta agree- Ben n Leah get the short end every once in a while from people who can't distinguish a "will work for food" sign (but won't)--- from "news at eleven after this short message?"

Don't step in any!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

^ X2 Very Happy

Ben and Leah get a lot of crap from a small number of Sambanistas. There's now a thread belittling all Vanlifers efforts, which I haven't bothered to look at.

Last I checked, we live in a free country. Or we do until the Big Cheeto has his way. Lol!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Shocked Laughing Laughing now thats funny " lord forgive me and all the little pygmies in New Guinea"-

I will say that in my estimation- Ben is pretty transparent-- thats a good thing Ben (in case you ever find this post)-- in other words- I detect no deception or conniving in any of my dealings- (well maybe after being questioned about the Kombi after the lights go out in his QnA blog.) So you wouldn't get that out of most of us sober any way.

I look forward to the "New Adventure" coming up in Nov or Dec when they get back and get started on their new ride. I've driven it - and it's the cats meow. With improvements to suspension and impending engine/trans- transplant- I believe this will be a great transcontinental ride.

Just wish I thought of it.

Don't step in any!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Damn, williamM, that's a big update for a thread that some folks ignore… I'm glad Ben and Leah (that's her name, right?) had the World's Best Pizza too! I'm honored to be in such notable company… Can you BELIEVE that my camera memory card went kaput before I could get ehe pictures of us and Silly Al uploaded? Do you have a copy?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Damn, williamM, that's a big update --- my camera memory card went kaput before I could get the pictures of us and Silly Al uploaded? Do you have a copy?

Robbie

E-mail sent-

GUESS WHO SAW THE PIZZA FIRST//////????

[img]
[/img]

Don't step in any!

Last edited by williamM on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Finally got new seat covers!

The old ones were TMI with West Coast Metric cocoa husk padding. Frankly, that padding was not comfortable. The TMI covers faded pretty badly over the decade and were hard to clean properly. They never really did get clean (my bus is a camping bus, not a show queen).

The new covers are from Sewfine. They were just put on last night (so there are still some wrinkles that I expect will come out) and it took two friends and myself to install them. It is, to put it mildly, a big PITA.

BTW, new covers + pleats + foam cushions & backs + shipping = $490.00

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

static wrote:
Finally got new seat covers!

The new covers are from Sewfine. They were just put on last night (so there are still some wrinkles that I expect will come out) It is, to put it mildly, a big PITA.

BTW, new covers + pleats + foam cushions & backs + shipping = $490.00

Getting great seats to look good is one of the best investments you can make.-- Besides brakes and tires- Being able to open the door and get "Oh My" feeling is worth every dime- Nice work---

Don't step in any!
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Made a new muffler using a Flowmaster 12514310. It's supposed to be the highest flowing, quietest muffler around. I must say compared to the small magnaflow I had on there before it is way quieter on the inside of the bus, sounds nearly the same outside though. It is billed as cutting down on interior drone which is what I'm after.

I also moved my wideband sensor to after the muffler on this setup and added a bung extender. I have found that VW exhaust is too short for 02 sensors to be used directly in the pipe as the exhaust gets too hot and damages the sensor.

Not seen in this photo is the hanger I made that attaches to the tailpipe via a u-bolt and then goes up to one of the engine hanger bracket bolts. It's not too pretty but gets the job done of canceling out the end of the pipe bouncing around. The bumper hides it pretty well. Previously on my magnaflow muffler I made a strong solid bracket that bolted to the alternator bracket but found that was bad for the alternator and the heater box on that side, making all of them come loose over time.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 413, 414, 415 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Page 414 of 463

Jump to: