Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 412, 413, 414
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

After, oh, two-ish+ years of not being used AT ALL I finally started her yesterday Shocked

She sat in front of our [well] pump house and I had a big tarp over her so the only thing that was exposed were the lower half of the tires. Pulled the tarp off and she looked great. Jacked up the rear to put some boards under the left rear tire as it was the only one not resting on asphalt so it sank a couple inched into the earth. There was very little gas in the tank and I added some gas drier (I initially stored her with gas stabilizer, too) then a 1/2 gallon of fresh gas. The batteries were long dead (starter and camping) but I put them on a charger for over 5 hours. During that wait I filled the tires to 40psi just to make it easier to push her. Ya know, after that many years of just sitting the lowest pressure of the four tires was 15psi, the rest were about 20psi-ish. She runs with the Hankook truck tires and they are great!

I tried pushing her from her spot but it was too much for my bad back. So I put the key in the ignition and turned it to the ACC position and everything lit up -- good. I then turned the key to START and she cranked -- good. As she was cranking I heard a cylinder or two fire Shocked Whut? So I started cranking again and she tried to fire again. Third or fourth attempt and she fired! You could hear the air crack from my wife whipping her head around when she heard our Bus come to life Laughing We were both surprised. I should mention that this was a FI engine but I put carbs on it since the FI was being too #$%!ing unreliable and causing me too much time trouble-shooting and fixing (and I actually LOVE FI...old age is making grumpy and less patient). The engine compartment looks just like the day I stored her, you would never know she sat unused for that long.

Drove her down the driveway, around on the street, and back into her parking spot -- but with all four tires on asphalt this time Wink Now that she's moveable she will be taking up the spot where our '76 Apache trailer was in my shop. The reason? I plan on putting my '95 OBD-I VW Jetta engine in her Cool It will take time cuz my Jetta (with Peloquin LSD) is a kick to drive and I will need a replacement daily driver...

[ Aug. 16th - Correction: I actually looked at the license plate tags, the month was 8 and the year was 12 Shocked So the Bus went untouched for 5 years but one would never know it Very Happy ]
http://www.type3registry.com/; The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I changed out my tie rods. They were old for sure. I could grab them and move them around like nothing there was so much play. I had about 1/4"-1/2" of play in the wheel when grabbing it from 3 and 9. Not anymore though!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Work Horse: 2003 Ford F150 (XLT - 2wd 4.6L V8 )
Bus Model: 1970 VW Transporter (7 Person, no middle seat)
Engine: 1776cc type 1
Current State: Restorations never truly end...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 412, 413, 414
Jump to:
Page 414 of 414

Jump to: