Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 450, 451, 452 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I installed a ‘69 mirror I got from the classifieds. OMG what a difference. No more frequent adjustments trying in vain to see more than just headliner. Mirror even has anti-dazzle.
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hello,
That's cool...
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I have most things on my bus Murphy up to snuff now, so I am doing little fluffy odds and ends to make me happy.

My latest doo-dad is a little storage compartment behind the passenger seat. I had installed a swivel base and Vanagon seats. The space left at the back side of this has always bothered me, so I set out to find a solution.

The area just looks unfinished. I think the fact that we had to chop the bulkhead off ourselves and get the diagonal brace welded in, left things a lot more ragged looking than what a proper installation might be.

So I made a small plate out of steel and a little door out of wood and stuck them together with some left over piano hinge from the scrap pile. The small circle is a really strong magnet that holds the door closed.

I think it came out about as I hoped. Its no work of art, but it tidies up the spot a bit and making the top out of heavy metal means when it gets stepped on, it'll hold up. I admit not much fits in there (Yes - I know what those small areas are for. No Sandler videos - please) but I'll find something. Next I need to address the scruffy area at the brace. I'm open to suggestions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

OK - I'll add another.
More fluff............

I was tired of the black tire cover on the front.

I took an old hubcap, taped off the logo, and painted it.
It is attached with two zip ties. One at the top and one at the bottom. The zip ties go thru the two holes for the hubcap puller and thru the holes in the wheel. I still need to trim the excess off the zip ties.
There is a hunk of dense foam wedged behind it to keep it from wiggling.

(I guess I need to center it a bit better.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Or leave it like it is and see if anyone notices.

Looks good!
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hello, ^^^^.
It's those custom details...from the personal touch, that makes it yours.
redhightop71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Got my 71 Hightop running finally.
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Got my awning configured and put up.

It's an 8x10 heavy duty tarp ($8 at Ocean State Job Lot, just a discount store.)

Horizontal poles are 3/4 emt conduit from Lowes ($6 for a 10 foot stick, bought 2)

I cut them in half and used an external sleeve made from a piece of tubing I had, and hitch pins ($3) to hold them together. One side bolts to the roof rack. The other side I flattened the ends of the emt 3" long and drilled a hole that slips over the pin on the top of my vertical poles.

The vertical poles and stakes and ropes I had. Those poles come apart for storage also.

So it all folds in half and all the poles get rolled up in the tarp, and it can store in the bus or on the roof rack.

For a total of about $23 it seems good, we'll see how it works when i get camping in a few weeks.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hobo;

Very timely, a home-made awning was on my mind on the drive back from my last adventure in my Bus

Could you post more pictures of your connections between the vertical and horizontal poles, as well as the tarp to the poles, and the pole to the roof rack??

Super nice job by the way!
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

scubasteve321 wrote:
Hobo;

Very timely, a home-made awning was on my mind on the drive back from my last adventure in my Bus

Could you post more pictures of your connections between the vertical and horizontal poles, as well as the tarp to the poles, and the pole to the roof rack??

Super nice job by the way!

Thanks Scuba!

Sorry these photos are kinda crappy but are all I have right now.

Connection roof rack to emt:
My rack is homemade using unistrut cross bars. I just drilled 2 holes in the emt pole on the rack side and bolted the pole through the outermost slots on the strut.

Poles to tarp:
This is where springing the extra for the heavy duty $8 tarp comes in. Cool
The tarp has nice reinforced corners. I just drilled a hole through the pole and bolted the tarp at the corners. All other points just use zip ties.

Vertical to horizontal poles:
Just flattened the end of the 3/4 emt and drilled a big hole that my vertical poles ends fit in.

Sleeve to connect the horizontal poles:
I had a pole in the shed that fit snug over the 3/4 emt. So I cut that into two 24” pieces and centered it and slid over the 2 ends of the emt. Drilled two holes thru the sleeve and emt and used hitch pins. Worked well. I also wrapped all ends of the tubes in electrical tape to make sort of rubber end plugs.

Hope those help. Sorry they’re kinda crappy pics.
Hobo

Last edited by HoboBus on Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Those help a lot; greatly appreciated!

Happy Busin'
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I finally got around to replacing the rear wheel bearing on the truck. It was toast when I bought it 26 years ago and had only gotten worse from yard driving over the years, so I just took the whole hub assembly from my '72 parts Bus. One thing I didn't notice was the hole for the wheel cylinder was threaded on the '71 but isn't on the '72. I had to use a nut and bolt to hold the wheel cylinder on. I assume the wheel cylinder must be threaded on the '72 and up.

I see where the outer bearing ended up.

It even wore the bottom off of the brake adjuster. Lol.

1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

JimmieH wrote:

I installed a ‘69 mirror I got from the classifieds. OMG what a difference. No more frequent adjustments trying in vain to see more than just headliner. Mirror even has anti-dazzle.

Wanna make it even better? Find a later type 3 mirror with the day/night switch, and is offset to one side just a little. You can pop the head off the bus stalk, and off the type 3 stalk, and swap em over. Make sure they are nice and warm, with a few drops of lube down in the socket. They pop right out and back in.

I swore I posted pictures of this project somewhere, but I cannot find them.
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Squeaking brakes? Done.

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hello,
Cool, that the shoes came already beveled for you. That would have been a great time to cleanup and grease the threaded adjuster stud and star wheel..... Maybe, next time.
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I pulled the bumpers apart and in an attempt to gain some skills on using HVLP gun. Got the holes welded up, ground down and some of the dents and waves fixed. After primer, I should have worked more on the dents and waves. but, hey, they look 100% better than they did and I can now redo them when the urge strikes. I bought new rubber step pads, new plastic bumper end seals and new hardware kits for front and back.. All I need to do is give it another day to dry, reassemble the bumpers and brackets and put them back on.. its been well over a year since I removed them to repair the cancer on the body and front floor

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Rearranged how I put the mountain bike inside the bus.

I originally had it with the front wheel attached, and the bike on an angle inside. It fits that way, but makes it hard to access the rest of the interior, and pack stuff.

So I made this front support / bike stand. It's just made from a scrap 2x3 I had in the wood pile. It's a first attempt - it could surely be made from smaller material.

Works good though. Take off the front wheel with the quick connect. The stand just slips over the bare fork, and allows the bike to be off to the side so I can easily access the cargo area with the bike inside.

Riveting tech, I know. Laughing Rolling Eyes But it's way better this way. Cool

Hobo

Davydomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

HoboBus wrote:
Rearranged how I put the mountain bike inside the bus.

I originally had it with the front wheel attached, and the bike on an angle inside. It fits that way, but makes it hard to access the rest of the interior, and pack stuff.

So I made this front support / bike stand. It's just made from a scrap 2x3 I had in the wood pile. It's a first attempt - it could surely be made from smaller material.

Works good though. Take off the front wheel with the quick connect. The stand just slips over the bare fork, and allows the bike to be off to the side so I can easily access the cargo area with the bike inside.

Riveting tech, I know. Laughing Rolling Eyes But it's way better this way. Cool

Hobo

I like that idea/solution! Good thinking.

"Mum, Dad ………. I'm Bay"

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet. Jean-Jaques Rousseau
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I put the front and back bumpers together and then mounted them.. so far it was probably a bigger pain in the arse than rewelding the back corners on! lol

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

G'day all. I took my bay to panelshop for blast repair & paint

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 450, 451, 452 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Page 451 of 464

Jump to: