Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 453, 454, 455 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Brought back some shine from what little remains of my paint

Before:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After:

PetetheVWguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I cleaned out my ‘78 Transporter the other day... found a West Virginia police inspection paper from 1980. Interesting how a Bus from the East coast can make it to the West coast where I am. Finished degreasing the crankcase halves today. Waiting for high school to end so I can get a job so I can finish the rebuild. All about sequences with me.
marc_music_mich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Put in new screws to hold my chrome window arms where they should. The a small Allan head to it fits right in the hole Smile My wife if happy that she won't scratch her arm on the old head that used to be there.

And an oil change haha... Put in 25w50 AMSoil with added zinc for extra protection (oil we ususally use in a harley motorbike haha)

New bus owner
Not a mechanic and trying to learn!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Recently pulled the engine and transaxle out to change the engine rear seal, reseal the oil return plate (Subaru), and replace some o rings in the trans to stop minor oil leaks.

While out:
* installed a high amp relay in the starter system to add a wireless anti theft unit
* refurbished the gas pedal hinge and connection points to allow for more leverage/longer throw
* installed a new throttle cable
* cleaned up and finished painting the driver's side undercarriage and frame rails
* installed a new FI gas tank and vapour vent lines
* updated/simplified the Aux battery wiring and charging system (switchable relay)
* added trailer wiring using a 5 wire to 4 plug converter to be able to pull my sport trailer (fabricated and installed a hitch last summer)
* installed and wired in a 12V charging port unit under the dash (connected to the Aux battery system)
* installed new H4 headlights

More to do but making progress.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
kevinj73us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Installed a cot in the front. Came from Bus Depot. Screws in the mounting kit were made of tin foil.

static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I had my ashtray powder coated. I don’t smoke tobacco anymore, so it was being used only for coins, thumb drives and the occasional roach. Looked funky. Now it looks better. And yes, I’m a Bus nerd.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

static wrote:
I had my ashtray powder coated. I don’t smoke tobacco anymore, so it was being used only for coins, thumb drives and the occasional roach. Looked funky. Now it looks better. And yes, I’m a Bus nerd.

Did you do that yourself, or pay someone? And if you paid, what did it cost? I ask because ive begun to dabble with powdercoating my stuff in my garage, and am curious what something small like that would cost. It would give me a perspective of the value of my work and time doing that stuff.

By the way, it looks sharp. Just added that to my list to do.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:

Did you do that yourself, or pay someone? And if you paid, what did it cost? I ask because ive begun to dabble with powdercoating my stuff in my garage, and am curious what something small like that would cost. It would give me a perspective of the value of my work and time doing that stuff.

By the way, it looks sharp. Just added that to my list to do.

I took it to Sanchez Powder Coating in Yuba City, CA
I had three things done at once (all the same grey): both ashtrays as well as an inside handle for a Campmobile (the one with the topknot) that ezcamper sells. The three items set me back $40 for powdercoating. Their minimum is $25.00
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Went to my former neighbors new shop and he showed me how to rope in a window seal. I am eternally thankful. Cleaned up a little surface rust underneath while we were at it, had a good lunch while the paint dried.Great day.

scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

in regards to roping in the rear window, one of the few things Ive hired out was a window professional for my build projects windows, he popped the hatch, put the window in place, and pulled the string and let gravity do the rest

was beautiful
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

scubasteve321 wrote:
in regards to roping in the rear window, one of the few things Ive hired out was a window professional for my build projects windows, he popped the hatch, put the window in place, and pulled the string and let gravity do the rest

was beautiful

I had someone do the side windows and windshield. The rear had no other moving pieces so i figured it was worth a shot. I think I'd try the side windows now, but pay someone to do the windshield.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I think the rear is best to learn on because gravity keeps the glass in place so you can’t accidentally drop it. Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

After having our 76 Westy, FINALLY found a local locksmith who FIXED the hatch lock! Yesterday, I replaced the broken glove block lock. So now, can actually park in a parking lot and leave it sit for a couple of hours. Everything locks. Amazing how little things like this become such a BIG deal when you restore something🙏👍😉
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

All new fuel lines, replaced the brand new crap WCM oil boot bellows/filler tube gasket with hopefully ones that don't crack and leak oil all over the heater boxes... Rolling Eyes

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Lucastein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Over the last 2 weekends:

-Removed old laminate flooring from prior owner, replaced the subfloor and installed new bamboo hardwood

-The wife reupholstered the bench seats, and made new curtains (still to be installed)

-I sound deadened the rear walls + flooring/firewall surrounding the engine

-sanded down and repainted the roof/around the windows

-Straightened out, removed dings, repainted rear bumper

-installed a NOS front nose badge that just came in the mail the other day

Over the next few weekends ill be refinishing the cabinets, redoing the interior paneling in thin birch ply.

Over the next month tackling the clutch/flywheel, making sure the crankshaft is in tolerance (fingers crossed it doesn't need machine work)

Its been/going to be a busy summer Razz
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Woke up my 71 deluxe yesterday. Sat for a year and ten months. Parked with full tank of non-ethanol 91 octane, Pump pump pump Crank crank crank X 3 First crank of third try Vroom. Came to life like it was run yesterday. Put 80 miles on her and topped off with fresh gas. How is that possible, says my neighbor, gas is only good for 6 months.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

So, awhile back I ordered a bunch of random parts for a couple of VW's in the fleet. Pretty sure the order came from Wolfsburg West this time around, but it could have been CIP1. Not sure. Anyway, one of the items was a pair of sunvisor clips for my 68 single cab. The old ones had crumbled, and the visors were droopy.

The new clips fit the spot OK, but the groove where you snap the visor post into was too tight. A little trim with a sharp blade fixed that, and the job was done.

Fast forward a couple of months, and I hop in the truck, only to find the visor drooping again. The clip on the driver's side had split. Tried some super glue, but it no worky.

So, since I seem to be a master at trying to fix things that are completely worthless, I made a plan. I drilled through the cracked area, then made a countersink on each side. The plan was to make a sort of dumbbell/keyway shape to lock the sides together.

I cut off a chunk of that broken drill bit to act as the bar in the dumbbell. Then I filled it all in with epoxy. The only plastic compatible epoxy I had around was black, so now it has black dots on a white clip.

The last couple photos are when it was still rough. I did clean it up a bit more and polish the surfaces smooth before the final install.

So far, so good. The clip is holding fast. It has been real hot, and that visor area spends plenty of time in the direct sun. We shall see how it holds up through the freezing cold of winter. I'll report back if my repair fails miserably.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Dude! Your ingenuity to fix a cheap ass, piece of shit, Chinese part, is Awesome. Why is it, we feel like once we own it, we have to make it work? Didn’t we pay for the part to do its job? That’s a rhetorical question.

Point being is, well done making shit happen. Up here, we call that Yankee Ingunuity.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Dude! Your ingenuity to fix a cheap ass, piece of shit, Chinese part, is Awesome. Why is it, we feel like once we own it, we have to make it work? Didn’t we pay for the part to do its job? That’s a rhetorical question.

Point being is, well done making shit happen. Up here, we call that Yankee Ingunuity.

I'd buy another one from a different supplier if I thought it would be better. But I suspect it will be the same cheap shit. So, I did what I thought would work. Or maybe it won't. We shall see.
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Plasti-dipped roof rack leg bottom and clamps so won't scratch up roof (again)
Ask me how I know

Gonna do final coat in grey

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 453, 454, 455 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Page 454 of 463

Jump to: