Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 455, 456, 457 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BorisGrishenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Dragged it home
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Expect stupid questions, I've got a lot of reassembly coming and a lot of unidentified parts that came with it - some of them were in marked baggies, which is a plus.
2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI - sold
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI -Dieselgate victim
2016 Golf 1.8
wim3600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Installed an original Bosch blue coil and made an evening sun picture Cool

wim3600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Installed a period correct gps-system 😁.
Notice, this is a car for travelling.

Bobbyrjones80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I took on a project with my bay this past week that was a little intimidating at first. I replaced, tie rods, drag link, pulled the control arms and had new ball joints pressed it, new bushings for my sway bar, new seals for the control arms, and new wheel bearings. I couldn't have done it without the knowledge and info I found here on the samba.

More to come. After it was all back together I realized my rubber steering coupling was about to fall apart so I have the steering column out now. I did give me a chance to fix my horn. Got my info for that here also!

Thanks everyone.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Bobbyrjones80 wrote:
I took on a project with my bay this past week that was a little intimidating at first. I replaced, tie rods, drag link, pulled the control arms and had new ball joints pressed it, new bushings for my sway bar, new seals for the control arms, and new wheel bearings. I couldn't have done it without the knowledge and info I found here on the samba.

More to come. After it was all back together I realized my rubber steering coupling was about to fall apart so I have the steering column out now. I did give me a chance to fix my horn. Got my info for that here also!

Thanks everyone.

Nice work. That is a ton of stuff, but now that you have done this, it should feel less intimidating to tackle other things.

If those are the rubber seals on the beam ends where your trailing arms slide in, you might find that the new ones will fall apart rather quickly. If you have not tossed the originals, and they were in OK shape, clean them and keep them handy. You may be digging in there again. Hopefully not.
Bobbyrjones80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I did save the old ones. They were the original VW seals. They were leaking a little bit but not real bad. They also fit better than the replacements from Wolfsburg West.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Bobbyrjones80 wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I did save the old ones. They were the original VW seals. They were leaking a little bit but not real bad. They also fit better than the replacements from Wolfsburg West.

Agreed on all points. Sometimes 40-50 year old parts are 40-50 times better than new stuff. Same goes for CV axle boots.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

wim3600 wrote:
Installed an original Bosch blue coil and made an evening sun picture Cool

That is something beautiful to behold (your engine bay and orange paint in the evening sunlight). I'd like to see more of your Bus.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Seals are often an overlooked chore when we're detailing our Buses. Some years ago, I bought a Jetta Sportwagen TDI and the panoramic sunroof seal was quite nasty. I don't believe the original owner ever cleaned them at all. I found this product, Zymöl seal conditioner. It worked great for the Sportwagen and I thought to pull it out for the new window seals on my '79 Westfalia. Although the seals are new, they had been lying on a shelf since they were made and conditioning them is obviously not part of the production process. Last night I conditioned the seals with the Zymöl and here are the results.

1. New window seals. Nice, but dry. Let's give them a fighting chance to last as long as possible.

2. The first step is to wipe the seal with a damp cloth. Here is the seal after applying the Zymöl. Apply in one direction with steady pressure. Let the product set for 30 minutes.

3. After 30 minutes, buff the seal with another damp cloth. These photos were taken last night before, during and after treatment.

4. This is how my windshield seal looks today; beautiful and supple.

The cost was about $30 per bottle, but it has lasted a long time and I say it is worthwhile investment.
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I used vasoline. Cost was about 50 cents.

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

wihr wrote:

It will attack the rubber over time. Trust me. I've seen it first hand with split bus window seals, and learned about it from a friend who spent much time building conversion vans in the 80's and 90's.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
wihr wrote:

It will attack the rubber over time. Trust me. I've seen it first hand with split bus window seals, and learned about it from a friend who spent much time building conversion vans in the 80's and 90's.

You are correct and I learned this the hard way, cdennisg. When I had a '59 standard Bus years ago, the windshield seals weren't in great shape when I got it, but I attempted to make them last as long as possible and put Vaseline on them. After a while, the seals went from "will need to be replaced" to chunks of seals coming off when I washed it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

If there is a thread dedicated solely to "Bus-keeping," I've not found it, so I will tell about this product I found here.

My interior pop top roof needed to be cleaned. In the past, I've cleaned my pop tops with a mild bleach water solution, but this time around, I found this CLR Mold & Mildew cleaner. I bought a soft bristle scrub brush to apply it. I covered my interior with plastic drop cloth first. This product only has one setting, which is spray foam, which didn't apply well to the roof, so I just poured some in a jar and dipped the brush in it and scrubbed that way. I wasn't quite certain of this product's efficacy as it didn't seem to produce results as quickly as the bleach water, but in the end, it did a very good job. I didn't think to take before and after photos, but I did not get to the back end of the roof and may do that tomorrow. This product is bleach free and had no noticeable smell about it, which made me happy as I like my Bus to smell like a Bus, not cleaning agents.

dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Switched out my vintage Hella 140 fog lights (50w) for brand-spanking-new Hella 140 driving lights (100w). I've got to admit the fog lights look cooler, but in the five years or so I've had them, I've only used them once.

Also, the vintage covers are thin opaque plastic, so not only do they fall apart from the sun, they have to be removed for use. The new covers are thick clear plastic. So, now in the desert and mountains I will be able to see for miles. Well, for a coupla hundred yards anyway.

Also, I now have some extra Hella 140 fog lights if anyone's interested.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
Switched out my vintage Hella 140 fog lights (50w) for brand-spanking-new Hella 140 driving lights (100w). I've got to admit the fog lights look cooler, but in the five years or so I've had them, I've only used them once.

Also, the vintage covers are thin opaque plastic, so not only do they fall apart from the sun, they have to be removed for use. The new covers are thick clear plastic. So, now in the desert and mountains I will be able to see for miles. Well, for a coupla hundred yards anyway.

Also, I now have some extra Hella 140 fog lights if anyone's interested.

Dodger Tom, where did you buy these? I think they look great and am in the market for a pair.
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

New curtains, new tubes
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I still cringe every time I see that engine with no sled tins.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

I thought they were just removed for the pictures. Does that engine get run regularly without them?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
richparker wrote:

I thought they were just removed for the pictures. Does that engine get run regularly without them?

Yes, it has never had them. It’s a fairly new T1 2L build with T3 head tins and his builder says he doesn’t need them, also no T-stat and flaps. He does have deflectors though. I’d be running them, not just for cooling but also to protect the pushrods.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
richparker wrote:

Yes, it has never had them. It’s a fairly new T1 2L build with T3 head tins and his builder says he doesn’t need them, also no T-stat and flaps. He does have deflectors though. I’d be running them, not just for cooling but also to protect the pushrods.

I just recently looked at a VW kit car thing with a brand new $5K 2 liter engine built by a supposed "top builder". It was slathered in china chrome, with chrome type 3 cooling tins. I just shook my head, but that car likely will only get locally driven and parked at shows. That bus will probably see way more use.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 455, 456, 457 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Page 456 of 464

Jump to: