Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust Eradication- Heat Exchangers
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 pm    Post subject: Rust Eradication- Heat Exchangers Reply with quote

I was able to find an original set of heat exchangers for my 73 bus from a local source today. While they are dirty, and there is some surface rust, they are very solid.

I did an initial cleanup with wire brushes mounted in my drill. I've made descent progress but still have a lot of work to do. I'm also concerned about rust that I cannot access inside the box. Is there a procedure or chemical that I can run through the inside of the box to work on the rust inside the box?

The photos show the clean up process... any advice would be appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust Eradication- Heat Exchangers Reply with quote

white vinegar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bnanwel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Eradication- Heat Exchangers Reply with quote

Ospho, do something else for 20-30 minutes, wire brush/wheel, repeat
When you a finished or sick of it, ospho and leave it overnight. Come back the next day and repeat the process. If not media blasting, I’ve found this method works well. There is a lot of time involved, but a lot of it is not “hands on”!
‘70 Deluxe
‘72 Deluxe
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Eradication- Heat Exchangers Reply with quote

Those are very nice-looking heat exchangers. The rust appears to be just surface stuff. I'm not sure if the '73 has this, but on my '78 exchangers, there's a heat shield between the finned aluminum block around the pipes and between the outer shell. I'd bet these were made of asbestos, but they could have been fiberglass. Over time, these get saturated with engine oil, and you can never get it out (think about how all air-cooled VW's have that stinky oily smell, when you turn on the heat). The only way I've found to really clean out the inside of the heat exchangers is to remove the shells (and just replace the oil saturated heat shield with fiberglass). You can then clean and re-paint everything else for a lasting repair. It's extra work but having heat that does not stink is well worth the effort. Keep your valve cover gaskets and pushrod tube seals leak free to prevent a repeat of the problem.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Eradication- Heat Exchangers Reply with quote

If you split the heater boxes open then find someone with spray welding equipment and have them spray galvanize them for you.

As for stink, I have found that long western grades will get the boxes hot enough for long enough to burn out the oil. If I get oil into the heat exchangers, I just remove the accordion tube(s) and block off the ducts going into the cab and after a few mountain passes have been crossed the stick will be gone.

I have thought about coming up with some way, should one get a pushrod tube leak or valve cover leak, to deflect the oil to keep it from getting into the boxes. Maybe just some high temp silicone weirs where the tubes go through the sheet metal.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Eradication- Heat Exchangers Reply with quote

Get them sandblasted. Doesn’t have to be special. Some guy who does truck frames in his yard. Shouldn’t cost much.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Eradication- Heat Exchangers Reply with quote

I did a 1974 last summer. I took the exhaust system to a powder coating place that used Cerakote ceramic coating after sand blast. The owner was pleased

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Eradication- Heat Exchangers Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Once I get them cleaned up, can someone recommend what kind of paint color is close to VW factory?
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust Eradication- Heat Exchangers Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Once I get them cleaned up, can someone recommend what kind of paint color is close to VW factory?

Sorry, but can't speak to the factory color for your year bus, but I went with the Jethot ceramic coating for my stock early bay heat exchangers - they have a decent choice of colors to check out and I was very happy with their work.
Busfixer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust Eradication- Heat Exchangers Reply with quote

Regarding the oil smell and residue inside the heat exchangers - I had the same problem on a leaky orange & white '73 Bus when I dropped the engine to re-seal it around 1989. Solution - went to a truck diesel engine shop and they put my heat exchangers in a steam tank for 3 days. Then I had an experienced welder weld the exhaust runners to the heat tin to stop further oil entry. In hind site, sealing them with silicone would have been easier and cheaper. There is a tiny weep-hole on the bottom of the heat exchangers that you don't want to seal up. It lets condensation escape and prevents further rust on the inside. Summary - steaming, sealing and painting the heat exchangers fixed them right up and the heater never stunk again.
Cheers, Busfixer
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust Eradication- Heat Exchangers Reply with quote

Radiator shops can hot tank them for you. I take fuel tanks to Ace Radiator is San Diego.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: