Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring Questions (I know: ad nauseam)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Everpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Wiring Questions (I know: ad nauseam) Reply with quote

Hear me out (or look at the pictures?)

I am a dingus. I actually DID take pictures of how everything looked before doing anything to my engine (ripping it out, taking it 1/2 apart, cleaning and repainting [way easier to tell a new leak from an old one]), and 2 years ago I thought “these are good enough”.

I was wrong. I started getting everything back together to get this to the point of starting and running for spring/summer and lo-and-behold, I am at a loss.

I was able to guess (then confirm through stripping some of the wiring wrap back and using a wiring diagram with my less-than-stellar reading skills) that I have a oil pressure switch - some previous owner butted green to the blue-green, but that’s ok - and a black mystery wire.

The coil was replaced with this… and I am guessing the mystery wire connects there, but I am not so sure that I want to chance it, especially since there is no blade on it that is free…

If anyone has an idea that won’t burn things out or start a fire, I appreciate the time, experience and effort you can give!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 Bay Camper
Work in progress…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Questions (I know: ad nauseam) Reply with quote

Looks like #15 from the ignition switch, it goes to #15 on the coil.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Questions (I know: ad nauseam) Reply with quote

I agree with BD, the #15 ignition circuit uses black wire from the factory, my guess is this is the wire coming from the ignition switch. It looks like you have a pointless ignition which adds a wire to the #15 terminal (12+) on the coil, so you should have FOUR wires going there. I am not sure as to which wire from your pointless ignition goes to which terminal on the coil though, so it would pay to look on the manufacturers website to find out what wire goes where, so you don't burn your module up.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Questions (I know: ad nauseam) Reply with quote

You can use a piggyback connector to add it to the coil positive/15, or a ring terminal.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Everpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Questions (I know: ad nauseam) Reply with quote

You guys are correct. Not that I am surprised by that.
But I am surprised that I didn’t see my own photos where I actually made sure I documented the connections.

Yep. I did take the photos I thought I did. So, to show you both how correct you were AND save trouble for any future owners…

1969 Bay Camper
Work in progress…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Everpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Questions (I know: ad nauseam) Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for your help.

I found the coil to be either a magnaspark or a similar product. It has some damage to the side; nothing that I think would ruin it, but I don't have a doctorate in electrology and I've read how great maganapark coils are and how they run forever, and how they fail all the time...

I went to the local parts store, grabbed a Pertronix flame thrower, and hooked that up.

I also found that there was no fuel getting into the cheap Empi carb (though the fuel pump was pumping). So I put a super old, but recently rebuilt-by-me Solex carb on. I manually turned the engine so the rod would hit the fuel pump and "prime" the carb... When I connected the battery back up and turned the key it fired right up.

1969 Bay Camper
Work in progress…
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: