Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

091 TRANSAXLE HELP (REBUILD/INPUT SHAFT)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethandomantay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject: 091 TRANSAXLE HELP (REBUILD/INPUT SHAFT) Reply with quote

I have some questions about swapping a 091 transaxle into my 72 Bay.

I currently have the original 002 bolted to a toyota 22r via a KEP plate in my bus. I am switching to a 091 for the better ring and pinion size.

I spoke with KEN at German Transaxles in Bend, OR and he gave me a run down of what Ill need to do.

I just want to clarify and hear others experiences. I was told I need 2 specialized tools for the pinion nut and the side cover nut.

Part number 7-381-14 and 7-381-15.

I was told I need to swap input shafts from 002 to 091 for the shorter shaft and I plan to use the 002 bell housing on my 091 so I can use my rebuilt starter, instead of having to buy another starter.

Questions:
Do I absolutely need those tools to get this job done? Sourcing them has not been easy. Weddle Industries has one and out of stock on other, but don't want to spend $400 for a job i'm doing once.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 TRANSAXLE HELP (REBUILD/INPUT SHAFT) Reply with quote

if you are just swapping a 091 in, just swap the bellhousing and input shaft

if you are taking the R+P from it...then yea, you need a bunch of tools

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 TRANSAXLE HELP (REBUILD/INPUT SHAFT) Reply with quote

The 091 would,have not only bigger bearings in the shafts but also preferable ratios in all the forwards. Just put the entire 091 in there. It is better suited to a 22r than a '72 VW air cooled anything.

As far as the side bearings, the plastic VW retainer, the one with (screw) ear tabs? you can run some bolts/studs though those tabs and use those locking plates as a tool to draw the caps out of the transaxle case. But you usually have to provoke them with a chisel on one of the notched tool surfaces first. : (
So they will be slightly marred by ham-fisted-ness. But people did it to get to the precious R & P back in the day.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 TRANSAXLE HELP (REBUILD/INPUT SHAFT) Reply with quote

Regarding the too long input shaft. Get out your zizz wheel and cut off 3/8 inch
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: 091 TRANSAXLE HELP (REBUILD/INPUT SHAFT) Reply with quote

The required input shaft varies with the type of engine being used and not with the transmission or bellhousing. Type 1 engines require shorter shafts than do Type 4 engines. If you are running a Type 4 shaft on your conversion at present, then you should be able to continue to run one.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: 091 TRANSAXLE HELP (REBUILD/INPUT SHAFT) Reply with quote

You obviosly have the set up already in the bus you want except for the transaxle.
All you need to do is swap the bell housing and input shaft from your 002. Those are the only parts you should need from the old trans. (other than mounts.) Get a new bellhousing gasket and input shaft seal for the job. Also be sure to use the input shaft coupler and retaining snapring from the 091 as well. As those parts do not intercgange between 002 and 091. You do not need to remove the differental to swap out the two shafts so you shouldnt need those special tools.

Mi dos centavos.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ethandomantay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 091 TRANSAXLE HELP (REBUILD/INPUT SHAFT) Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the replies.

My plan was just to swap the input shaft from my 002 to my 091 and the bell housing.I do have new gaskets and seals if I decide to go that route. Thank you for confirming I don't need those specialized tools.

Im curious about just shaving 3/8 of an inch off the input shaft that is in my 091. So I don't have to open it up either transaxle.

I can just get my 091 starter rebuilt for $80, locally. Then I can keep my 002 complete and sell it to recoup some cost.

Questions:
1.What is everyones thoughts on shaving the 091 input shaft 3/8th of an inch?

2.Is the input shaft stronger on the 091 over the 002? If so, this would help support the idea of cutting 3/8th off. My 22r makes around 105-110hp.

3.What gear oil should I put in my 091? I have not changed oil in it since I've owned the bus that transaxle came out of. The 091 transaxle is believe to have 141k miles on it.
Ethandomantay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 091 TRANSAXLE HELP (REBUILD/INPUT SHAFT) Reply with quote

I should also add, my bay bus is 1972. I don't know what motor was originally in my bay....... I have read that in 72 the input shaft was longer than years earlier.

So my question,

Can I measure the shaft extruded from the casing on both 091 and 002 and if they are the same, I don't need to cut any shaft? correct?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 TRANSAXLE HELP (REBUILD/INPUT SHAFT) Reply with quote

It's not about shaving it vs. keeping it original for me…

It's banking $60, a gasket, and an hour of work, that you can hand-grind the tip of your input shaft to a proper chamfer to keep your pilot bearing happy.

I'm a grinder not a weldor, but the proper part is almost a rounding error on a restoration budget.

https://weddleindustries.com/products/091-311-105-A/091-311-105-A

Plus, you'll have an extra 091 input shaft to go with your 002 Wink
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 TRANSAXLE HELP (REBUILD/INPUT SHAFT) Reply with quote

Ethandomantay wrote:
I should also add, my bay bus is 1972. I don't know what motor was originally in my bay....... I have read that in 72 the input shaft was longer than years earlier.

So my question,

Can I measure the shaft extruded from the casing on both 091 and 002 and if they are the same, I don't need to cut any shaft? correct?

All Type 4 engines take the longer shaft and all Type 1 engines take the shorter shaft, while the bell housing makes no difference. Your '72, assuming it was for the US market would have come with a Type 4 engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: